TRUE OR FALSE - Logic Board/motherboard the soul of a MAC??

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kayleee, Dec 10, 2015.

1. kayleee macrumors regular

That is to say,after few years of use/heavy usewhen people experience some lag/hang issues with their mac...IF they replaced their motherboard with a completely new one for their model...will it run like a beast again?

Provided...it already has a SSD, which is very fast.
    Good battery..
    Good display...

All in all, I'm just talking about performance...will it run like a new machine or will it lag since other components are old?

If so, which components will affect the speed(other than the motherbaord ofcourse) ??

============================
    I think it should run like a new machine, right?

===============================

Another Silly question, is SSD also a part of the motherboard?

I'm sure its not , but just wondering :)

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope... a logic board pretty much either works or it does not. If there is nothing defective about it, a five your old one will be every bit as fast as a brand new one of the same model. All you have on there is a CPU, some RAM chips and a bunch of electrical circuits... none of which "wear out" or slow with age.

The flash storage device on Airs is screwed on to the logic board, so it technically a separate part. Of the parts mentioned here, the only one that potentially slows with time is maybe the flash storage, and even then it would have to be very very old with a high number of write cycles.

If you are seeing hangs/lag that were not there before it is typically either some part of the hardware has failed or a software conflict of some sort. But hardware like you described does not really wear out.

The only think I can think of is there are cooling fans in there and if those were worn out and not running properly a Mac could start to overheat and that would cause troubles.

3. kayleee thread starter macrumors regular

you said flash storage is screwen on logic board? not soldered right?
    which means if I get a new logic board the SSD will be the same old one and not a new one which is already soldered on the logic board?

im talking about mid 2013 macbook air..

ty :)

4. Weaselboy, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Correct.... it is screwed on and not soldered. You can see it in step 6 of this teardown.

So yes, if for some reason you have a logic board replaced they would just reuse the old flash storage blade on the new logic board.

5. kayleee thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the response...I wanted to ask ig there is some app to check the number of SSD cycles on macbook air?

6. kayleee thread starter macrumors regular

also, is it not true to say that I can myself replace the SSD, or maybe from some repair guy?
    I have 256gb and need 512 gb...

doable?

its 2013 macbook air 13 inch

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is fairly easy to replace the flash blade yourself, but no third party makes one yet for your 2013. You can find some Apple branded ones on eBay that apparently have been pulled from MacBook Airs and put up for sale.

The utility smartmontools will show a drives SMART status, and that includes the wear leveling count the and amount of writes to the drive. There are also GUI utilities that can read SMART data. I like the utility DriveDx.

8. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Come on... everyone knows that Macs have no soul. If you want soul, get the Beats Headphone.

9. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

If they have a soul (and this book implies that at least Data General computers did)... By definition the soul's location can't be pinpointed to a particular component or assembly. Now, the heart and/or brain are another matter.

10. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

A motherboard would be more like a skeleton, wouldn't it?

11. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Depends whether the motherboard is little more than a backplane/card interface, or whether key functions are present on the board itself. Outside of the cMPs with separate CPU cards, I can't think of many PC motherboards that were not both skeleton and central nervous system.

12. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Everything you said is true, but the last bit is very important. What I have found is that after 2.5 years of use my Mac would hit high temperatures and throttle very quickly. I could watch the GPU throttle heavily in Windows when playing games in GPU-Z. So I opened it up to discover A LOT of dust around the air intake and the fan. I got rid of it with some compressed air and it runs like it used to when I first bought it.