Trump’s ‘marching orders’ to the Pentagon: Plan a grand military parade

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

President Trump’s vision of soldiers marching and tanks rolling down the boulevards of Washington is moving closer to reality in the Pentagon and White House, where officials say they have begun to plan a grand military parade later this year showcasing the might of America’s armed forces.

Trump has long mused publicly and privately about wanting such a parade, but a Jan. 18 meeting between Trump and top generals in the Pentagon’s tank — a room reserved for top-secret discussions — marked a tipping point, according to two officials briefed on the planning.

Surrounded by the military’s highest-ranking officials, including Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Joseph F. Dunford Jr., Trump’s seemingly abstract desire for a parade was suddenly heard as a presidential directive, the officials said.

“The marching orders were: I want a parade like the one in France,” said a military official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the planning discussions are supposed to remain confidential. “This is being worked at the highest levels of the military.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...91602206fb7_story.html?utm_term=.7f575f74fdfa

2. ericgtr12, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018

ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

To be fair we only spend more on our military than the next 8 nations combined so we need to be really insecure about it.

3. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Or a certain POTUS feels insecure about himself, despite the size of his hands.

BL.

5. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Trump should be forced to pay for the road upgrades himself. Tanks can't even be driven on normal roads, they need to be reinforced. He wants to spend how much on this charade but can't even pay for the opium epidemic he wanted to fight. This isn't the cold war era and DC isn't Pyongyang.

6. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

So the WH confirms Trump wants a military parade.

First of all we have lots of celebrations on national holidays. The idea that Americans aren’t able to show their appreciation for the military is ridiculous. But one can show appreciation without having tanks rolling through the streets. Also we all know it’s not about showing appreciation for the military as Trump would be standing there front and center. This is all about him as usual. :rolleyes:

7. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

A parade, a parade, everybody loves a parade!

And what military victory are we celebrating?! Russia and Iran's strategic victory in Syria? Yes, that has to be it!

8. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

9. Solomani, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018

Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Trump needs to claim that his parades are larger than Kim's.

10. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

George W Bush’s first press secretary weighs in. I guess he has to say this now that he works for Fox News. One thing I know for sure, his old boss George W Bush would never have proposed something like this.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

Next up will be statues of Trump....

Personally, I would choose a little more policy vs pomp and circumstance

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

13. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

We already have Trump statues, and they are amazing and magnificent! The best.

7765966-3x2-700x467.jpg

14. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I know what that guy is looking for... ;)
    It’s not there guy. We know. We checked his hands first.

15. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

I predict a lot of Americans will be in the streets protesting this silly idea of the wanna be dictator.....

16. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I thought the same thing about how people would vote, I was sorely mistaken. Many in this country embrace a dictator style leadership.

17. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

Maybe..... but a lot don't

2017-march.jpg

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

19. bopajuice, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018

bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Thats what I was thinking. Every dictator's wet dream. Will they carry a photo of Trump?

nkparade.jpg

20. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

21. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

Preposterous nonsense.
    Waste of time and money.

Good god get me to 2020 already.
    This clown is embarrassing.

22. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

23. 0007776 Suspended

To be fair, at least based on anecdotal evidence a good portion of those people are just fine with dictatorship as long as they happen to agree with the dictator.

24. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Yup. Tell him to move along. Nothing to see there.

Again, we all know that Donald is simply envious of other military despots around the world. Whatever those tinfoil dictators are doing, Trump simply has to outdo them!

God help us all should Kim Jong Un suddenly declare: "I have imprisoned, tortured and murdered more dissidents than any other Leader ever! I have mercilessly tortured and killed tens of thousands! My numbers are the highest! NO other Leader even comes close to my numbers!"

God help us all if Kim ever declares that, because we know what Donald's knee-jerk reaction will be…. :eek:

25. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Aren't military parades usually reserved to celebrate victories? Do let me know which notable recent military triumph this parade will be celebrating.