Trump’s call for the National Guard at southern border all for show

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

This is shocking to no one. Trump throws a fit and DHS scrambles to do something to get him to stop complaining. And the MAGA crowd gets played once again but are too stupid or delusional to know they’re being played.

Maria Pena (@mariauxpen)
    4/4/18, 8:44 PM
    DHS secretary, Kirtsjen Nielsen, told Mexican govt the National Guard won't carry guns & will only provide logistical & other support. Just like in 2006 and 2010, they won't be allowed to make arrests, unless Congress changes rules (not likely)... a big show for Trump´s base.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I have to believe that our troops, in any of the services, spend a lot of time thinking to themselves, “What the **** is that moron up to now??”

3. AsherN macrumors 6502

And employers in those States have to make plans to operate without those employees for an extended period of time. That one is gonna cost.

4. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

Well as a National Guardsman you work another job usually and now have to leave that job to sit and basically do nothing for who knows how long. I heard a Senator saying on Fox News that the National Guard loves doing this work. I am sorry but if I was them there is no way in hell I would enjoy doing that work. Can’t do anything, can’t arrest anyone, can’t shoot anyone. You are there for one reason only, A Show for the President.

I believe the other two or three presidents that used them at least got them to work building or rebuilding areas of the border. Not sitting there

5. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

6. samcraig macrumors P6

We are living out the screenplay to Wag the Dog.

7. raqball macrumors 68000

I am al for this. The Southern border has been a mess and wide open for far to long. Since congress can't get their act together and come up with a solution then why not use the National Guard to help in protecting it.

I hope they stay in place until Congress gets off their duffs and address the issue with solutions that will actually work.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

You're all for faux/worthless actions when it's also been show that illegal border crossings are pretty much at an all time low and have been trending that way for years?

9. raqball macrumors 68000

Did I mention illegal crossings in my post? Nope

There is much more to the border issue than just illegal aliens crossing it. Drugs, guns, terrorists ect...

10. samcraig macrumors P6

Do you have stats on those that show the trend for 5-10 years? I'd be curious in seeing that.

11. raqball macrumors 68000

I worked in narcotics enforcement and fully understand were the majority of guns and drugs are coming in from. But sure there is a lot of data on the subjects. The Border Patrol, ICE, DEA and ATF should have the numbers, all though scattered about, that you seek.

Here is a snip from the DEA: Full report --> https://www.dea.gov/docs/DIR-040-17_2017-NDTA.pdf
    Feel free to source additional information if you like as there is a TON of it out there..

12. AsherN macrumors 6502

How do you propose compensating companies and individuals for the economic loss of having the NG deployed for an indefinite period of time? Doing SFA.

13. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

So what? At least there is some force behind it unlike when Obama actually did do a dog and pony show.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/03/politics/border-troops-deployed-obama-bush/index.html
    --- Post Merged, Apr 6, 2018 ---
    Oregon military support is the laughing stock of the military. Everyone knows it. She acts like she’s got something to contribute when it’s other states and active duty that ultimately covers their butts when anything happens. There isn’t even an active duty base in her state.

14. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Maybe the National Guardsmen can dance in mini parades (daily) to amuse the southern border residents. I'm sure Moron-in-Chief will sign an executive order ordering them to practice "war games" and military drills at their border stations, thinking it will intimidate the Mexicans on the other side. :D

15. iMi macrumors 65816

iMi

I travel to foreign countries. It's getting incredibly difficult to keep a straight face when the topic of American politics comes up. He's such a ****ing embarrassment.

I'll have to start telling people that I'm from Canada if he keeps up this level of stupidity much longer. :D

16. raqball macrumors 68000

Really?

I was in a couple of the former eastern block European countries a few months ago and most there absolutely loved Trump. Guess it must depend on where someone goes and whom they associate with with while there.

I dunno, my experiences are different than yours were, that's all I am saying.

17. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

Maybe you only hung with the white people, the same people he retweeted on twitter that one time?

Just a thought

18. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

19. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Wow. Tosses out the race card. Well played! Not.

20. iMi macrumors 65816

iMi

I travel mostly to Asia where people have not been eager to embrace the nationalist movement that is sweeping Europe and America. Are you surprised Eastern Europeans are loving Trump? Look at what's happening in countries like Poland. They are a heartbeat away from having a full-blown Nazi state. It's ridiculous.

Russia? Well, there is a thing about those guys and Trump... you know. Just a tiny little connection. So, yes... it depends on where you go. In Asia, not so great...

21. raqball macrumors 68000

That's very presumptive of you to assume and an extremely racist comment to make.

22. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Now all I can picture is that episode of The Office when Dwight, as a County Volunteer Sheriff's Deputy finds a joint in the parking lot.

23. raqball macrumors 68000

Yeah that's what I did... :rolleyes:

Anything to contribute other than attempting to discredit someones professional experience?

24. iMi macrumors 65816

iMi

That's cute. Because she very much so has a choice.

Trump cannot order national guard to any state to perform civil law enforcement duties. That would be illegal. Only a Governor of that state can mobilize National Guard in that fashion. The federal government can only deploy National Guard as supporting role to state agencies who are performing the civil enforcement duties and even then a Governor can simply refuse.

Even if Trump declaimed a national security emergency to involuntarily mobilize the guard, the law would still restrict their involvement to support function only.

The governor has a say here... not the orange moron, which must really frustrate the **** out of him and I love it.

25. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Border protection is a Federal action. Bush and Alabama both did it because it is legal. I was in the National Guard when it was done, for many issues. Not just Border safety.