Trump’s Foreign Business Entanglements Would Create Unparalleled Conflicts

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Nov 3, 2016.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Hillary gets slammed for her foundation and potential influence peddling, but often overlooked is Trump's financial connections with various power brokers around the world in some very key places. Sure he has said he will pass his business on to his kids, but that's not a real disconnect at all. Something to think about.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/trumps-...ould-create-unparalleled-conflicts-1478083150

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Who's going to criticize him about this? Hillary who used her foundation as a gateway to her office at SoS? No, i dont think so.

Trump hasn't done anything wrong yet, and you want us to vote for the woman who has already played the American people for every dime she could get?

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

lmao, desperation shows. no worries he can get back to business after he gets impeached :D

4. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Played the American people for every dime? How so. How have the American people somehow been financially drained from her? Can't wait to hear. She hasn't gotten anything from me. Yet. But in honor of you, I think I will go contribute to her campaign right now. :D

5. zin macrumors 6502

Sounds serious. Should we investigate Donald for managing a business? :eek:

The desperation in the false equivalence is evident.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

sure, our taxes financed the war she supports.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2016 ---
    Hillary Clinton using her position as secretary of state to give sweetheart deals to her contractor friends through the Clinton Foundation: CORRUPTION OF THE WORST SORT!

Donald Trump refusing to put his business into a blind trust, potentially allowing him to use his position as president of the US to bolster and influence his multinational interests: I DON'T SEE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THAT! OLOL YOU PEOPLE ARE DESPERATE!

7. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No. But it is something just to be aware of. Hillary will be dumping foreign foundation ties. Trump won't be dumping foreign business ties. Thus the conflict of interest will exist.

But of course you will ignore that just as you have ignored every single other issue with Trump.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

his kids will be running the show, kind of like Chelsea being on the board of the foundation. so where again is the problem?

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

From David Frum

The Conservative Case for Voting for Clinton

10. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

11. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Clinton Foundation, Uranium deal with Russia, Clinton.

12. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

What? Now you are worried that he won't have enough to eat after this election is done?

How thoughtful of you :D

13. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

he has not done anything wrong???

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

15. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

but for all the lawsuits and criminal cases he is involved in. sorry I cant be president today I have to go to my rape case.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG]

this election SUCKS way more than Monica did.

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

As an elected/appointed representative of the US government?
    Google says a gross mixture of Canadian and Neo-Conservative.
    As opposed to Hillarys "Sorry I can't be POTUS for the next 15-20 years, I have to go to Federal Prison."

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You know this means Tim Cook couldn't be president...

I'm not sure I care to be honest.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Why do people keep fielding this as an excuse? As if all these obvious conflicts of interest he's fielding, all the shady things he's done to get ahead, can be ignored simply because, hey, he may play the straight and narrow when he's in office.

Well hell, by that logic, let's go ahead and elect Bernie Madoff then. He can obviously manage himself some money, and he hasn't done anything bad as an elected official, so we can't really hold that against him now, can we?

20. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

If this was about the republic and constitution, none of these losers would have made it this far. Allow me to rephrase:

Your hand may hesitate to put a mark beside the name, Hillary Clinton. You're not doing it for her. The vote you cast is so you can keep the orange orangutan out of the Oval Office and encourage the greed, corruption, and war of She-Who-Knows-Best-How-To-Screw-Our-Country.

And we need one for Trumpet as well.

You hand may hesitate to put a mark beside the name, Donald Trump. You're not doing it for him. The vote you cast is so you can keep the corrupt, crooked Killary out of the Oval Office and encourage the American Public, nay the entire world, that in the greatest country to have ever existed, the United States of America, even sexual assualters can become president.

21. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I kind of wish people would leave Lewinsky alone at this point. I bet if Clinton is elected, we'll see an Op-ed about whether a second Clinton impeachment investigation would be enough to bring Kenneth Starr out of retirement.

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Do you simply not see the fundamental flaw in that argument?

If somebody gives money to a Foundation, it's a gift. They can't ask for it back. They have no influence, no leverage they can hold against the person who runs the Foundation. Do you understand that fairly simple concept? Or do you simply chose to ignore a fundamental fact that conflcts with your prejudices?

If someone owns a business in a foreign country. (A golf course, a chain of restaurants, an apartment building) - then that country does have some leverage they could, theoretically, hold over an officeholder.

That is why pretty much every President in modern history has placed their assets in a proper blind trust. And, by a blind trust, that doesn't mean handing over management to your sons. It means giving control to professional managers, so that you genuinely have no idea which assets or properties they own. They might own Apple. They might own GE. You, as the President, just don't know. So you can make descisions affecting the computer industry, or the airlines, or electric power generation without the appearance of a conflict of interest.

But if you put you sons in charge of your empire of golf courses and commercial real estate, for instance, then if you make a decision that affects commercial real estate (changes to the tax treatment of such properties) - then you will, by definition of the term, have a conflict of interest.

So, just so you understand: People and organizations who gave to the Clinton Foundation have no leverage over what she does in the future. A President who continues to have significant commercial interests, especially in foreign countries, is inevitably going to have serious conflict of interest problems.

23. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

It's quite simple. Trump has never taken an oath of office as Hillary has. She has diarrhea'd all over that oath, and laughs at all the small people that did less than she did and actually received punishment. Like you say, maybe Trump will be so horrible he will be impeached, well let's swear him in so he can reap those consequences. Oaths and Allegiances don't even exist in the business world.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The irony is that under the old system the establishment would have picked two candidates, Clinton and Bush, and we could have all elected Jeb Bush who at least doesn't deserve to be in prison.
    That's bollocks.

25. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

What part? In your opinion. In mine it's perfectly reasonable. Of course I take Oaths serious.