Trump’s July 4 speech, flyovers confirmed by federal officials; fireworks details still unclear

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Federal officials announced Wednesday that President Trump will address the nation from the Mall on the Fourth of July, offering the administration’s first formal confirmation of the president’s unusual role in the country’s premier Independence Day celebration.

Interior Secretary David Bernhardt said in a statement that Trump’s remarks at the event, called Salute to America, would honor the U.S. armed forces. With the fireworks display moved to West Potomac Park, Bernhardt added, visitors will be able to gather around the reflecting pool and World War II memorial, which previously had been blocked to accommodate the pyrotechnics.

“There is no more appropriate place to celebrate the anniversary of American independence than among the nation’s monuments on the National Mall and the memorials to the service men and women who have defended the United States for the past 243 years,” Bernhardt said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/trumps-speech-at-mall-on-fourth-of-july-confirmed-by-federal-officials/2019/06/19/5acc986a-92d5-11e9-b72d-d56510fa753e_story.html?utm_term=.4f1aec4e6442

I have nothing but the utmost respect for the US military. But the 4th of July is about more than the military. We have Memorial Day, Veterans Day and Armed Forces Day to celebrate the military. Honestly it would be nice if politicians would stay away from 4th of July celebrations. The event we previously had was perfectly fine. Even if Trump gives an apolitical speech it’s still going to be all about him. I still think Trump is doing this because he couldn’t get the military parade he wanted. And by making the event about the military he makes it harder for people to criticize because if they do they’ll be accused of not caring about or disparaging the military. Sigh.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
if a "holiday" is that "important" WHY would any of you waste it listening to a politician? too many of you are gluttons for punishment , bet you guys are also single and have no one to nag you day after day after day and need some form of punishment :p

Reactions: VulchR

RichardMZhlubb

Contributor
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
They do a big concert every year by the Capital, at the other end of the Mall. And they plan to have the concert again this year, so now we will have competing public events at opposite ends of the Mall.

And that article mentions the issue, but the idea of a presidential motorcade going back and forth to the Lincoln Memorial on the 4th is insane. During the afternoon and evening of the 4th, traffic around the Mall is complete gridlock with hundreds of thousands of people on foot around every street.

Reactions: hulugu

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
They do a big concert every year by the Capital, at the other end of the Mall. And they plan to have the concert again this year, so now we will have competing public events at opposite ends of the Mall.

And that article mentions the issue, but the idea of a presidential motorcade going back and forth to the Lincoln Memorial on the 4th is insane. During the afternoon and evening of the 4th, traffic around the Mall is complete gridlock with hundreds of thousands of people on foot around every street.
Nobody asked for a different celebration. Nobody asked for Trump to be part of the celebration. It’s so selfish.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
it's almost like he's fueling TDS on purpose... between this and deporting illegals, I may not be the only one who enjoys TDS as pure entertainment.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Nobody asked for a different celebration. Nobody asked for Trump to be part of the celebration. It’s so selfish.
Virtually - if not all - all heads of state participate in their independence/republic day, which usually involves the military. Heck, even Italy that lost the ww2! I seriously don't understand why in the US this is seen as outrageous. Oh well.

President Macron on the Bastille Day:

President Mattarella for Republic Day (Italy) (Note: the flyover by the Frecce Tricolori is a show!):

Mexico Independence Day:

etc

Vanilla Ice

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2011
Los Angeles
Virtually - if not all - all heads of state participate in their independence/republic day, which usually involves the military. Heck, even Italy that lost the ww2! I seriously don't understand why in the US this is seen as outrageous. Oh well.

President Mattarella for Republic Day (Italy) (Note: the flyover by the Frecce Tricolori is a show!):

Mexico Independence Day:

etc
Yeah so? Anything Trump does is bad. Duh.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011

Mexico Independence Day:

etc
Because the US isn’t Europe.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
...Even if Trump gives an apolitical speech it’s still going to be all about him. I still think Trump is doing this because he couldn’t get the military parade he wanted. And by making the event about the military he makes it harder for people to criticize because if they do they’ll be accused of not caring about or disparaging the military. Sigh.
Trump is nearly incapable of making an apolitical speech.

I suspect that whatever poorly-written half-hearted peon to Democracy and liberty gets stitched together by the illiterates in the White House, he'll go rogue and bitch about House Democrats, talk about his wealth, and bash the media. Like any Thursday.

Virtually - if not all - all heads of state participate in their independence/republic day, which usually involves the military. Heck, even Italy that lost the ww2! I seriously don't understand why in the US this is seen as outrageous. Oh well....
The fact that most of the world engages in some psuedo-Napoleonic "victory" celebration at independence is not a good reason for the U.S. to do it, and really, the Fourth of July is not an event for the military, but rather a celebration of our independence and the historic promise—often failed—of individual rights. Remember, the Fourth of July marks not a military battle event like the Storming of the Bastille, or merely a call to arms like the Grito de Dolores, but rather a statement that a revolution was necessary because of the self-evident truths that "all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

As Lincoln said in 1858 during a speech in Louistown, Illinois:

...Now, my countrymen, if you have been taught doctrines in conflict with the great landmarks of the Declaration of Independence, if you have listened to suggestions which would take away from its grandeur and mutilate the fair symmetry of its proportions; if you have been inclined to believe that all men are not created equal in those inalienable rights enumerated in our charter of liberty, let me entreat you to come back. Return to the fountain whose waters spring close by the blood of the revolution. Think nothing of me—take no thought for the political fate of any man whomsoever—but come back to the truths that are in the Declaration of Independence. You may do anything with me you choose, if you will but heed these sacred principles.
This was their majestic interpretation of the economy of the Universe. This was their lofty, and wise, and noble understanding of the justice of the Creator to His creatures.

Yes, gentlemen, to all His creatures, to the whole great family of man. In their enlightened belief, nothing stamped with the Divine image and likeness was sent into the world to be trodden on, and degraded, and imbruted by its fellows.

They grasped not only the whole race of man then living, but they reached forward and seized upon the farthest posterity. The erected a beacon to guide their children and their children's children, and the countless myriads who should inhabit the earth in other ages.
Letting Trump speak about liberty on the Fourth of July is like letting Slimer serve a buffet, it's just going to get covered in ooze.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Trump is nearly incapable of making an apolitical speech.

I suspect that whatever poorly-written half-hearted peon to Democracy and liberty gets stitched together by the illiterates in the White House, he'll go rogue and bitch about House Democrats, talk about his wealth, and bash the media. Like any Thursday.

The fact that most of the world engages in some psuedo-Napoleonic "victory" celebration at independence is not a good reason for the U.S. to do it, and really, the Fourth of July is not an event for the military, but rather a celebration of our independence and the historic promise—often failed—of individual rights. Remember, the Fourth of July marks not a military battle event like the Storming of the Bastille, or merely a call to arms like the Grito de Dolores, but rather a statement that a revolution was necessary because of the self-evident truths that "all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

As Lincoln said in 1858 during a speech in Louistown, Illinois:

Letting Trump speak about liberty on the Fourth of July is like letting Slimer serve a buffet, it's just going to get covered in ooze.
Personally speaking, I am very neutral to this idea of a 4th of July event. Bit of a waste of money (in all countries), but ultimately it's quite irrelevant in the big order of things especially since parades are held throughout the country.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Personally speaking, I am very neutral to this idea of a 4th of July event. Bit of a waste of money (in all countries), but ultimately it's quite irrelevant in the big order of things especially since parades are held throughout the country.
But this isn’t about creating an event. One has existed for a long time. It was the Trump administration that decided to hijack it, move it somewhere else and have him speak at it. And I still think it’s all about him never getting the military parade he wanted. So he’s doing this instead.

Reactions: hulugu

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
But this isn’t about creating an event. One has existed for a long time. It was the Trump administration that decided to hijack it, move it somewhere else and have him speak at it. And I still think it’s all about him never getting the military parade he wanted. So he’s doing this instead.
Just don't give him any attention then. The event itself is literally minor, so complaining about it (regardless of being right or wrong) will just give him more spotlight.
Personally, after watching my kid play in the marching band, I plan to go home, drink beer, and drink as many hot dogs as I can. No Trump/Biden/2020 on that day, and with the exception of the hot dog eating contest, no live TV.

Reactions: VulchR

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Exactly right. Trump is trying to subvert the Fourth of July and turn it into his own personal Bastille Day. And, like everything, Trump will corrupt the holiday making yet another aspect of American life, an inherently political event.

[doublepost=1561056272][/doublepost]
Just don't give him any attention then. The event itself is literally minor, so complaining about it (regardless of being right or wrong) will just give him more spotlight.
Personally, after watching my kid play in the marching band, I plan to go home, drink beer, and drink as many hot dogs as I can. No Trump/Biden/2020 on that day, and with the exception of the hot dog eating contest, no live TV.
I'm going to go watch fireworks from an inner-tube on the Animas River, drink beer that's cold from snowmelt, and eat too much.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Exactly right. Trump is trying to subvert the Fourth of July and turn it into his own personal Bastille Day. And, like everything, Trump will corrupt the holiday making yet another aspect of American life, an inherently political event.

[doublepost=1561056272][/doublepost]

I'm going to go watch fireworks from an inner-tube on the Animas River, drink beer that's cold from snowmelt, and eat too much.
is there such a thing as eating too much?

Reactions: yaxomoxay

RichardMZhlubb

Contributor
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
The event itself is literally minor, . . .
In DC, it’s certainly not “minor.” Other than the occasional presidential inauguration,* it draws the biggest crowds of any event in DC, by far. It’s a pretty big deal around here. It’s also historically been a completely non-partisan, non-political event. That’s why a lot of people were particularly upset when James Watt tried to take over the event when he was Reagan’s Secretary of the Interior.

_______
* More people than Trump’s inaugural, but fewer than Obama’s.

Reactions: OttawaGuy

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
In DC, it’s certainly not “minor.” Other than the occasional presidential inauguration,* it draws the biggest crowds of any event in DC, by far. It’s a pretty big deal around here. It’s also historically been a completely non-partisan, non-political event. That’s why a lot of people were particularly upset when James Watt tried to take over the event when he was Reagan’s Secretary of the Interior.

_______
* More people than Trump’s inaugural, but fewer than Obama’s.
I meant Trump talking, not the 4th celebrations!