Trump’s Vile Candidacy Is Chemotherapy for the GOP

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Oct 11, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Baseball or politics, I love George Will's writing.

Read more

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

LOL they broke out Godwin within the first paragraph.

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Occam probably got tired of people borrowing his razor.

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Me too. That piece is definitely worth the read just for the closing paragraph, which it's not really fair to quote so people should go read the whole thing.

Meanwhile I liked this bit:

Trump is a marvelously efficient acid bath, stripping away his supporters’ surfaces, exposing their skeletal essences. Consider Mike Pence, a favorite of what Republicans devoutly praise as America’s “faith community.” Some of its representatives, their crucifixes glittering in the television lights, are still earnestly explaining the urgency of giving to Trump, who agreed that his daughter is “a piece of ass,” the task of improving America’s coarsened culture.​

And how can you not love George Will using a Janis Joplin line as epigraph.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Trust is the Cancer on steroids, not the chemotherapy. Coming to terms with the disasterous diet the GOP has been spewing forth for the last 30 years and changing their eating habits is the required medicine.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

But I think the point is, to continue the analogy, that there comes a time when changing diet is not going to cure the patient. The "Trump as chemo" approach suggests that Trump has now disrupted the party to the extent that its warring, dysfunctional components have finally ended up singled out for destruction just because they don't work. They never worked together and they all tried to hog the spotlight. Trump blew it all up because each faction thought it could grab him by the [something] and steer him into promoting their particular agenda.

LOL Trump doesn't even know what his own hijacked party of fragmented agendas is about!

But the joke there is on the party that caved into nominating him at their convention. He is not their creature, he is his own creature. He was never one of them, so there is no faction in the GOP that has a hold on him. How frightening it must be for them to hear him tout that to the public now, that he is free to fight the race however he likes.

It remains to be seen if Donald Trump is just beholden to someone, or to something. We don't have his tax returns and we don't understand his Byzantine business empire. We probably will not get to see that, either, since he will not win this election and he will not have to divest himself of his empire.

We do now have all these extra little weirdnesses surfacing about his personal foibles as the season of the October surprise rolls on. So he amounts to a kind of half-imagined bogeyman, having promised harm to all manner of bystanders and ne'er-do-wells alike had he won this election. When you think about it, that in fact is roughly the promise of chemotherapy.

The challenge will be to see who gets to pick up the banner or who gets to rebrand the party that Trump saved by destroying. The game's not quite over yet but the House of Representatives will be a changed landscape by 2018. The depth of change will not show up this year because Trump's disruptions lag in the legislature and because we also don't know the extent to which progressive advances will influence Clinton's government.

Trump did save the GOP from destroying itself over a longer period of time. Pretty much that party is over right now. As it regroups I'd say there could be two parties and a couple fringes emerge from the trainwreck.

There could be a reasonably establishment-oriented Conservative Party, a moderate Republican party and a few fringe groups that may not stay in mainstream politics. That would be unfortunate, since they have something to say about traditional values, and about that deep sense of personal liberty that caused King George to pack up and head back across the pond.

I guess there might be a Labor group and a Farming and Ranching group, if we had more manufacturing jobs here and a less automated agricultural sector. With some jobs returning from offshore already and specialty agriculture continuing to pick up, those parties are not out of the question.

And there might be a truly Libertarian party, not the more libertine version that some of us flirt with now. Johnson in particular and Weld were not the best representatives of where that new Libertarian party might center itself. It might formally draw some voters who are now indies leaning left.

If we had a more parliamentarian form of government, or at least a way of ranking votes, these fringe groups might flourish and bring home to their constituents more benefit and more favorable recognition. It all remains to be seen. I don't think Trump supporters should consider a loss in the presidential race as a complete loss. There are a lot of good things that may yet arise from his having run for office.

It's hard to see that right now as a Democrat or a traditional Republican, for sure. The cacaphony of Trump fans seems deafening and the message from Trump unsettling because they and he both celebrate a self-centered authoritarian, not a set of policies. And I think Trump supporters still envision a win. I am not sure Donald Trump does any more. He's gone bankrupt before.

7. Huntn, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

While I like your post I'll say that Trust did not save the party by destroying it, he destroyed it and destroyed it faster, serving his raging ego. Good riddance. Dead is dead, and as rudderless as Trust is, he is smart enough to recognize where he can do the most damage getting his licks in before the end. It does not help there are a couple million citizens feeding hm. Will family members stand by helplessly and allow the Thing to complete it's transformation or intervene? ... Not that it will make any difference to Trump's foray into politics, just another bankrupt venture.

Regardless, there will be survivors, and unfortunately I think many of them and the people who elected them will try to reorganize as the same beast with a different name. We can only hope their efforts will fail through lack of interest in their primative ideas about what the proper order of the country should be and they will be left in their corners to wimper about the imagined wrongs done to them.

This by no means lets the Democrats off the hook, or whoever comes into prominence. Balance the playing field by all means, but whatever is proposed must be viable. If the GOP's choke hold is removed from Congress it will be very interesting to see what direction reasonable Representatives will try to take us. The key to the success of the entire enterprise is we>me, but not go overboard with giveaways. We can't continue charging it.