Trump accused of running a financial fraud, will likely take witness stand soon

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Robisan, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Robisan macrumors 6502

Ruh Roh it appears the likely GOP nominee will soon be on trial, accused of financial fraud and will have to take the witness stand right in the middle of the presidential race.

Here’s a part of the political calendar that nobody in the Republican Party seems to have noticed: This spring, just as the GOP nomination battle enters its final phase, frontrunner Donald Trump could be forced to take time out for some unwanted personal business: He’s due to take the witness stand in a federal courtroom in San Diego, where he is being accused of running a financial fraud.

In court filings last Friday, lawyers for both sides in a long-running civil lawsuit over the now defunct Trump University named Trump on their witness lists. That makes it all but certain that the reality-show star and international businessman will be forced to be grilled under oath over allegations in the lawsuit that he engaged in deceptive trade practices and scammed thousands of students who enrolled in his “university” courses in response to promises he would make them rich in the real estate market.

~~~

As noted by Yahoo News last week, the Trump University case has already intruded on Trump’s political schedule. On Dec. 10, 2015, during a day he was making international headlines over his pledge to ban Muslim immigrants from the United States, Trump managed to escape any press attention and give a closed-door pretrial deposition in the case, according to court filings reviewed by Yahoo News. Exactly what he said in the deposition remains under seal, but lawyers for Tarla Makaeff, a California yoga instructor who is the lead plaintiff in the case, cited portions of his testimony (blacked out in her pleadings) to support their contention that Trump has threatened to ruin her financially for bringing the lawsuit and that she needs protection from his “retaliation.”

~~~

The core case revolves around the operations of a school Trump launched in 2005 with a promotional You Tube video, as well as ads that proclaimed, “I can turn anyone into a successful real estate investor, including you,” “Are YOU My Next Apprentice?” and “Learn from my handpicked experts how you can profit from the largest real estate liquidation in history.” The plaintiffs, former students at Trump University, allege they were misled into maxing out their credit cards and paying up to $60,000 in fees for seminars in hotel ballrooms and “mentoring” by Trump’s “hand-picked” real estate experts. The lawsuit against the school, which is no longer in business, alleges the seminars turned into little more than an “infomercial” and the Trump mentors offered “no practical advice” and “mostly disappeared.” New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman filed a separate suit in 2013 alleging fraud on the part of the “university,” which was never an accredited institution and awarded no degrees.
    Once Trump has locked up the nomination the Democrats are going to "Romney" this guy. Every shady and distasteful thing he's ever done - and there will be plenty of them - will get a full airing. Pass the popcorn.

2. FieldingMellish, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016

FieldingMellish Suspended

I'm glad you bolded sections of what's written, as is commonplace on this board, because I, as the reader, might miss the key details without having a helping hand. Although, enlarging the font for those sections is sometimes used, and it is more certain that we won't miss something. To be really sure, color the text red as well.

By the way, rejoice while it's still fresh. It's one more dire prediction that commenced back when NBC and Univision intended to financially harm Trump over words, like over a year ago, and for every dire prediction and attack since, by both parties and their media supporters and money men, each winding up but a faint blown-over line in the sand.

And the way you ended your post? That treatment has been in full force since day one, with each new attack and prediction having fallen flat as described. Though it is comforting to fantasize, I guess.

By the way, starting your post with "Ruh Roh" is reminiscent of the Jetson's pet dog, Astro.

3. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I'm curious to know what specifically they are suing over. In reading another article it cited the requirement to keep paying to unlock the deepest secrets of Donald Trump's success and they were under the impression the program would make them rich and successful (guaranteed?).

It sounds like buyers remorse for paying for a $35,000-60,000+ "class" with absolutely no real college credit, certification, licensure, etc. I imagine no prerequisites either. No proven track record academically. Unlikely any significant value in the industry. AKA no tangible benefit other than a piece of paper saying they completed his seminar. Sounds like a smart investment in the first place? I think not. There are zillions of stupid programs like this, even scientology to an extent or any other profit gospel nonsense. If people are stupid enough to buy into this... quite frankly IMO that's on them. I doesn't sound to me like this is a product that anyone could assume would automatically make them rich. No one goes to colleges are then sues the college when they earn less than that college's average graduate. What education has ever 100% solidified anyones success in life? How do you prove that it's the class's fault that you're not successful, not your own?

While this is being drudged up during this important point in Trump's political campaign, I really don't expect this to be an issue that Donald can't quickly swat down with a few piercing words. I'm not a Trump fan, he makes me sick, but with the information this article provides it sounds like a ridiculous case to me.

4. 1458279 Suspended

I'm sure Trump has lawyers that went over things with a find tooth comb and has all the bases covered. I'm sure there was some fine print somewhere that'll swat down the suit.

5. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Seminars need college credit? School closed in 2005, lawsuit filed 2013? - just in time to make headlines in 2016...convenient timing.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Going to get rough for the Trumpster when the media actually starts vetting him and doing their job.

7. 1458279 Suspended

Thanks, I really needed a good laugh. Hold on a sec...

... Ok, I'm back. That's too good, I literally laughed out loud.

Again, thanks, we need more comedy in these forums.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, if the students were "stupid" for enrolling in this "course", then the NY AG must be equally stupid.

This will probably come down to how carefully-worded (i.e., using weasel words) his "course" was. If he promised anything he couldn't or didn't deliver, that'll be a problem for him in court, where he can't rely on his poorly-educated followers to stand by him. In the court of public opinion, this may change little. The people who know Trump is a buffoon already know it, and his fans are impervious to reason.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

9. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

The left wing Hussein controlled media has a clear agenda.

Trump is well aware.

Nothing new here.

Criminal Hillary gets a pass... very revealing

10. 1458279 Suspended

That's why it's so funny. It's like he hasn't noticed that Trump OWNS the media. The 1st thing he did was pimp slap the media and let them know who's in charge.

This is so HUUUUUUUGE that Obama is scared, Hillary is scared... It's HUUUUUUGE!

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The class-action lawsuits, and those filed by the NY attorney-general; have been going on since 2013. So this isn't a new thing.

The major issues seem to revolve around the fact that Trump University explicitly promised things it did not deliver. For instance, some people paid tens of thousands for access to so-called "power teams" of real estate experts and mentors. But since Trump University closed in 2010 - many of these people end up calling phone numbers that are disconnected.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that many Trump supporters, quite literally, do not care a whit about things like facts, laws, logic, or common decency. That's their problem. So it seems likely that Trump will keep winning primary contests.

The real issue is that most normal people do care - a lot - about a candidate's behavior; ethics; and history. And I think that if Trump is the Republican candidate this fall, a electoral disaster of epic proportions will befall them.

And it will be well deserved.

12. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

There is some merit in the general drift of your argument, but, I don't think you want to argue that defrauding stupid people isn't illegal because they are stupid. I would hazard a guess that normally the courts, if anything, would be biased in the other direction, towards the protection of "innocent victims".

13. 1458279 Suspended

Isn't the law of the land Caveat Emptor (let the buyer beware). We have this for a reason, because anyone can claim they didn't understand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat_emptor

14. samiwas macrumors 65816

Oh, God...are you turning into HiEveryone? Shall I take you as seriously as I do him?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 25, 2016 ---

It's not that they don't care about those things. It's that they crave the lack of them. They see this loudmouthed, imbecilic oaf yammering on about all kinds of discriminatory, angry, vile stuff, and they love it. How many good-natured people do you know who like Trump? Somewhat close to zero? The only ones I know are the ones who immediately turn to insulting anyone who doesn't agree with them, and who love to antagonize. I literally do not know any Trump supporter who does not fit that mold.

15. bent christian, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016

bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Donald Trump has already been found guilty and personally liable for operating the organization in the state of New York without a license. He has been ordered to pay restitution to those who were defrauded.

"I love the poorly educated." - Donald Trump

The Dum-Dums who are already on the bandwagon won't be swayed by any of this. They are neo-feudalist Teabaggers who believe magic is a real and existing thing. They are a very small minority overall. These people are the poorly educated, some of the most desperate among us.

Democrats have been making education a major topic of discussion in 2016. Sanders, in particular, has talked extensively about for-profit college scams more reputable than the the one Donald Trump has put together and he has been well-received for it. Education reform is a cornerstone of the Sanders platform. This situation is not over and there are worse skeletons that will be drug out in due time. No matter who runs on the Democrat's side, Donald Trump will not be President in 2016.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 25, 2016 ---
    Right, but we have laws that govern how businesses and educational organizations operate. Donald Trump broke laws in the state of New York and has been ordered to pay restitution to at least 5,000 people he has defrauded.

16. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

I disagree. I think a Sanders / Trump election would go to Trump. I'm not advocating this, just opining. Also, Bloomberg has repeatedly made rumblings about entering the race in this scenario. This move would simply further guarantee a Trump win.

17. 1458279 Suspended

Let me clue you in on what's actually going on here. About 75% of America doesn't like the direction we're going in. They don't like ANYONE from Washington. On one side, there is a strong pull for Bernie. I say strong because if Hillary was 1/2 good, she'd crush Bernie in a second.

On the other side, they don't hate everyone running. They love Carson, but know he's not the one. They didn't like Jeb much at all. They were concerned about Trump really running or not. Now that the race is underway, they are coming out of the woodwork for Trump.

No runner has ever taken the states Trump has and NOT won, it's never happened.

The push on the left is very weak and mainly for Bernie. I don't thing Bernie gets past the next round and his supporters will not all back Hillary.
    Trump backers have already made up their minds, the rest of the party will be making up their minds soon.

Trump WILL be the next President of the United States of America.

Many know this is the last chance America has to fix things, otherwise, it's all over. Can't take more debt, can't take more poverty. The rich will leave and that'll be that.

Enjoy the ride, you've earned it.

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk, Feb 25, 2016

jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I wish I could, but, I don't agree with your analysis. I think the statistics on who the Trump voters are directly contradicts this. Trump has a very broad appeal demographically. Yes, he doesn't do too well among the well-educated, but, he does well across the broad middle. Here is one of many exit polls:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/02/20/us/south-carolina-primary-exit-poll.html

Ask yourself how Trump could appeal to so many "white evangelical/born-again Christians", for example. It can't be because of policies, or the candidate's character. It must be something else.

Unfortunately, there are a number of ways in which someone with 20% dedicated support and another 15-20% of soft support can win the nomination and then win in November.

19. 1458279 Suspended

WOW, For once we agree 100% :eek:
    Donald Trump will NEVER be president in 2016... He'll be president in 2017:cool:

I'm debating if I should go back and quote all that stuff about "Dum-Dums" ... hmmmm... ok
    I wonder if they are so poorly educated that they don't even know that Obama will be the president for all of 2016?

Sry, had to take the poke.

20. vrDrew macrumors 65816

In New Hampshire - where both Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump won primaries based, to a large extent, on the premise that the United States is on the precipice of some huge disaster - the unemployment rate is about 3.1%. The lowest in the nation. Poverty's also lower than anyplace else. Incomes are up. And gas (and heating oil) are the cheapest they've been in a generation. Crime is all-but non-existent (other than maybe opioid addiction).

What the heck are all those people so unhappy about?

21. bent christian, Feb 25, 2016

bent christian Suspended

bent christian

What you did was link to a Republican primary exit poll, wherein 96% of the people questioned were White, self-described "moderates" comprised 17%, and those who describe themselves as "Liberal" didn't even rate. Similarly, people who describe themselves as a "Democrat" didn't rate, "Independents" (Libertarians, Republicans who don't want to admit it) comprised 22% of those questioned, and 76% of those polled are self-described "Republicans". This is in no way representative of country demographics here in the U.S. It is a small slice. A sliver of the pie.

22. Renzatic, Feb 25, 2016

Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Unless you advertise as-is, no guarantees, you're held to certain implied standards that you have to adhere to. If you advertise that you'e selling a car with only 200 miles on it, and I buy it, only to later figure out it's got 200,000 miles of wear and tear on it, and you've rolled back the odometer, you can't say "olol, caveat emptor". False representation is illegal, and I could sue your ass til the cows come home over it.

edit: or to put it another way, if someone advertises a seminar to teach people FABULOUS BUSINESS SECRETS, charge $100 per head, and then spend two hours talking about standard BS just about everyone knows about anyway, that's a case of caveat emptor. I did what was advertised. If it ended up not being worth your time and money, that's on you.

But if I advertise for FABULOUS BUSINESS SECRETS, charge $100 a head, then take everyone's money, declare bankruptcy, and run without even showing up on stage, that's fraud, and I could go to jail over it.

23. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

KarlJay is using the same fallacious argument that Republicans have used for years against the ACA. It is classic misdirection. Dumb it down, waaaay down. KarlJay is assuming (wrongly) that because people are unhappy with the direction of the country (or the ACA), it is for the reasons he is unhappy. As with the ACA, many, many people who would rate the program poorly did/do so because they think it did not got far enough. Many wanted to see single-payer. The Right, obviously, thought it went too far. Both people, "unhappy", but for polar-opposite reasons.

24. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

And there is the reason that primary drop-outs never end their campaigns--they just "suspend" them.

If Trump gets tainted by his shady business past, Cruz steps into his shoes and Jeb might even come back. Fun for all.

25. 1458279 Suspended

IMO, I think it's split. I've seen polls that say the young people don't like anything related to the "old system" and really hate the corruption. The 'older' have seen the 80's and 90's and think that everything past 98 or so sucks.

The stats don't show the whole story. We're having the largest increase in history of suicide by white males, the 7 year mark of this 'recovery' is worse than the 7 year mark of the great depression. Home owner ship hasn't been this low in a long, long time. The rich are richer and the poor are poorer.

Remember when George H was slammed for looking at his watch in the debate against Clinton? He also was slammed for not taking action during that small economic downturn. The same is happening with Obama, he's passed nothing in years for the economy and that make him look disconnected. Don't forget the largest wave against any party ever in all our history just happened under Obama. We've haven't been this divided in a very long time.

Even hard core dems like Travis Smiley has bashed Obama because Blacks have done worse in EVERY single economic stat under Obama.