Trump accuses Obama of wiretapping Trump Tower

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Seems this is coming from Breitbart who got it from the Mark Levin radio show. So much for the pivot and all that becoming presidential nonsense from the media after Tuesday's speech.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

If true - and being the POTUS it should be fairly easy to prove - this would be of immense gravity.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

And… if Donald J Trump just sucked it out of his ****? Then what?
    What do you suggest then?

Face it. You have a loose cannon as your president.
    The guy is a lunatic.

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Looks like it's based on some pretty bad conspiratorial reporting. Anyway I don't think it's a coincidence that Trump is tweeting this after Mark Levin ranted on his radio program and Breitbart picked it up. And I highly doubt he verified these claims with anyone in the justice department. If you see something on TV or he read something on his phone and he immediately tweets about it.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.brei...sed-police-state-tactics-undermine-trump/amp/

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

If fake, Obama should sue the president for defamation (of character) and I would be happy if he won.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 4, 2017 ---
    Burden of proof is on him now.

6. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Unless he's known for a while and it's made it's way to the public domain and he now feels free to say something.

He'd be incredibly stupid to make such a charge without facts, unless his account has been hacked. He's just had an incredible week. To sabotage it would be stupid at this point.

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Really? You would? *chuckle*

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Now he has to prove it.
    Yes, why? What is so strange to you?

9. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Because the left won't bat an eye if Obama did this. They'd think it was funny and somehow justifiable.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What baffles me is why anyone in that position would assume their phone isn't tapped.

11. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Because it shouldn't be.

12. juanm, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Just like so many other times, he'll just say he saw it in the news. It'll have served its purpose of creating some noise for a few days. Disposable news and no accountability is the new thing.

In any case, it should be fairly easy to prove, considering he's now the president and has some power over the FBI, or whoever did the tapping.
    FTFY If you're outside of the US, you can assume it's tapped. If you're in the US, it's fair to assume it's not tapped per se, but there's enough metadata to not need the tapping. In both cases, it's archived somewhere for hypothetical use at a later date.

13. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I'm still amused how Donnie compares very public and televised meetings with the Russian ambassador to secret meetings that his staff won't even admit to having.

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

That's a different topic.

15. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Relying on that assumption would make them either naïve or reckless. Which attribute would you choose in a President?

17. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

And this is different than the baseless claims that Trump conspired with the Russians to deprive Clinton of her rightful place atop the Government?

18. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

No. It's the same topic. The second and fourth tweet shown in the OP specifically mention those very public meetings and make the comparison. Did you not read El Jefe's tweets?

19. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I find it interesting that Trump makes this allegation at a time when his administration is under increasing scrutiny in the news about their ties to Russia. Misdirection? Is he coming apart at the seams?

20. Huntn, Mar 4, 2017

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Yet again, Trump is early morning tweeting. The man can't help himself. Apparently he read the article below. The President uses Breitbart as his main source of info? :rolleyes: His tweet says "nothing found" same as the article.

How would you feel if it is shown that the Trump Campaign was working with the Russians during the campaign to undermine Hillary? How do you suppose this information would be discovered? And based on your comment, I'll ask gravity for whom? The Obama Administration, the FBI, or The Trump team who apparently has loads of Russian connections?

I can't stand Breitbart and their agenda, but for this instance, I'll point at this Breitbart/Mark Levin article which is based on a series of reports by other news organizations:

Mark Levin to Congress: Investigate Obama’s ‘Silent Coup’ vs. Trump

I disagree with the thrust of the article, that Obama did something wrong, calling it a coup against Trump. Getting a warrant from the FISA court makes it completely legal and legitimate.

Intelligence is intelligence and the bread crumbs lead where they lead. Trump Tower would not be off limits if there was a legitimate reason. If intelligence gathering focused on Russian efforts to meddle in the US leads to Trump Tower, that's how it goes. Levin/Breitbart would have to show that Trump was targeted because he was a political opponent, not because Russian intelligence hits led to Trump Tower. None of this info was used against Trump during the campaign so the coup hyperbole does not apply.

We are going to hear lots of Nixon comparisons from Trump and GOP surrogates about Nixon wiretapping his opponents which is misleading and inappropriate AS USUAL. FISA courts were involved in this case. For Nixon, the wiretapping was done under the table.
    Such wisdom in your blanket statement. :rolleyes:

21. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

We can all speculate as much as we want. What concerns me more is that Trump can just throw something like this out there with impunity (fact or fiction), and many of us are going to believe it. Within hours side are already being taken as demonstrated here on this forum. No facts, no verification, no proof, just a stupid ranting tweet, but here we go...

Trump will look for anything he can use to deflect questions about his administration, fact or fiction.

22. Huntn, Mar 4, 2017

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I did not realize you have a pipeline to our top secret intelligence collection efforts. I'll pay closer attention to your inside knowledge. :rolleyes:

I don't take knee jerk sides. I believe it's likely Trump Tower was wiretapped (post 21) for legitimate intelligence reasons, but I take exception to Trump's twitter habits. He is a loose cannon and reckless. I also believe these tweets are his effort to deflect from his associations with Russians and the intent of those associations which are the subject of Federal investigations.

23. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

We are in a fact free world. People just believe what they want to believe based on their biases. And they use filter bubbles to only see the things that confirm their biases.

24. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

Thanks for a well written and reasonable rebuttal. Liberal or not, I can respect that opinion. Thanks.

25. samcraig macrumors P6

He has zero proof. The hypocrisy of crying fake news and demanding sources not be anonymous. Total embarrassment