Trump Administration Eyes Defining Transgender Out of Existence

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Oct 21, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. raqball macrumors 68000

I agree with this...

3. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

No question Donnie is out in left field here. But, it has to be asked....what exactly is the transgender issue if not biological? If it’s a mental thing then perhaps it can be corrected or fixed? Can these people be helped to retain their biological gender identity? I’d like to think so.

I mean, we are all pretty much either a boy or a girl. Sure, exceptions truly exist but for someone to just "decide" they are the opposite sex is hard for me to accept. You can "think" you’re a girl but you’re a guy biological and legally for that matter.

Ehh....?

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

All that said. If you were born one sex and now live as another... Changing the law for 1.4 million Americans is wrong and will cause a lot of problems.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Personally I think we should give the trans-community a little leeway.

Physically there are 2 genders yes, mentally however people tend to identify as a SPECTRUM of things.

6. RootBeerMan, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018

RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Here's a shorter, summed up look at the NYT article for those of us who cannot read the NYT article.

https://www.axios.com/transgender-r...ack-9eace89b-ca1b-47d9-9323-427272225b09.html

This is just another, in a long list, of the Trumpskis attempts to do the bidding of their evangelical base. It's nothing new, but it is likely the biggest attempt at rolling back civil rights for trans Americans. I have no doubt that they will also use it go after the rest of the LGBTQ community. If the Democrats, and their other allies are really against this then they had better get their **** together and prepare for a real battle at the polls. As long as the Republicans are in power travesties like this will continue. (Not to say that the Dems will be better in many areas, as they hate certain civil rights, too).
    --- Post Merged, Oct 21, 2018 ---
    We already know that it is a biological phenomenon. The research is there. Trump and the bigoted evangelicals and anti-science crowds he serves don't want to recognise that. Transgenderism and homosexuality are not things that need to be "fixed" and any suggestion that they are is repugnant.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/05/180524112351.htm

True to an extent, but there is a biological component, as well.

7. raqball macrumors 68000

I am not evangelical yet I fully support this policy....

You know it is - not we know it is... I don't subscribe to that line of thought, sorry.... I am all for gender assigned at birth. You can change it if you please but.....

I guess that makes me, in your words:

a) a bigoted evangelical
    b) repugnant
    c) both of the above

8. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Failure to accept scientific evidence that directly contradicts your viewpoints might certainly put you in those groups. Your guess is as good as mine. I'll forgo assigning you a place in any of those as the mods are a very fickle bunch.

9. raqball, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018

raqball macrumors 68000

I won't report the post or be offended by a response so feel free to answer the Q......

Anyways, I am entitled to my thoughts on the subject as are you.. I am 110% in support of the policy and I hope it's a go!

10. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Can I ask why you support this? What societal problem do you see this as solving?

11. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

My thoughts on the matter are based in science and civil rights. What are yours based on, other than feels?

12. raqball macrumors 68000

Allow me to clarify my opinion...

You are physically born a man or a woman gender wise and that's what you are period! If someone has surgery to completely transition to another gender then okay. Once someone has 100% physically transitioned then they can legally change their gender.

What I am not down for is the PC mumbo-jumbo of being able to self identify as anything you please. This goes for race, gender or whatever.. Just because I want to identify as a lamppost does not make me one...

13. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Science disagrees with you.

14. raqball macrumors 68000

Maybe, maybe not but it's my opinion and you won't change my mind on it. Like I said, I fully support the measure and I do hope it becomes a reality...

15. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

"Conservatives want small government"*

Except when it comes to policing what's in people's pants. Then we want the government to be intrusive and unnecessary.

16. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

17. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

But you just said that those that undergo a full change should be recognized by their newer gender. Right? So what Trump's administration wants is to not consider that valid. So maybe you support some of what they want but not the whole thing?

18. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

None of this explains your stance on the policy protections that will be rolled back.

You’ve clarified your position on your views of transgender people, not why it’s a good thing to castigate them back into the realm of the “other”.

19. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

I didn't really expect to. That's a defining characteristic of the average Trump supporter and modern Republican. Facts and scientific evidence do not matter. We've seen that consistently from your crowd.

20. raqball macrumors 68000

My statement is exactly how I feel on the matter. Yes if someone completely and 100% transitions to another gender than I am fine with that....

I don't know the full extent of what he wants to do is as I can't read the link (payware).... If he wants to assign a legal gender based on gender at birth then I am fully in support of that. I would like to see my thoughts mixed into that as well..
    You assume much.... I am not a Trump supporter perse nor do I claim the (R) party... Who is my crowd? I am a conservative, yes..

21. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

I don't see "conservatives" supporting anyone but Trump and Republicans. So, you end up as part of the teeming masses, like it or not. Deny fact and science and you get lumped into crowd of science deniers and those who base their opinions on "feelings" instead of fact. That's just the way the statistics fall. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and has feathers....it's a duck.

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Ever heard of the term intersex?

23. raqball macrumors 68000

Sure have as it's one of the same worn out arguments used all the time in these discussions. I was waiting for someone to mention it..... As with any policy there needs to clarifications and exceptions and this subject would be no different...

What might those be? No clue but I'll wait to see what it all entails before giving final opinion. As it stands now, I support the idea that's been proposed...

24. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

So why did you say "You are physically born a man or a woman gender wise and that's what you are period!"

25. raqball macrumors 68000

Oh I dunno..... Maybe because I didn't feel like typing out a dissertation that might cover any scenario on the planet where an exception would be warranted? And even if I did type out a 12 page essay, heaven forbid if I were to miss one exemption right as I am sure that miss would be pointed out..............................