Trump administration to announce final bump stock ban

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Nov 28, 2018.

1. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

2. jkcerda, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018

jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

3. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

A decent start. Wonder who outpaid the NRA.

4. Carnegie macrumors 6502a

This rule will likely be invalidated. It’s in pretty clear conflict with the law it purports to enforce.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Hope it is invalidated

6. Carnegie macrumors 6502a

I suspect the administration expects it to be invalidated.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Hard to say , trump is not that friendly to the 2nd

8. Carnegie macrumors 6502a

I’m not suggesting that President Trump doesn’t want to ban bump stocks. I’m suggesting that the administration knows that it can’t do so this way. I suspect that President Trump has been told that by legal advisors. The law is pretty clear in this case. So the administration does it anyway and he thinks he can get credit for trying to do something even if he, likely, knows he can’t do what he tried.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Problem is he’s pissing people off who support him and getting praise from those who will NEVER vote for him. Dumb move on his part

10. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

I wonder if there will be a buy up? Good luck if they just expect people just turn in or destroy property they legally purchased.

However this is exactly what the anti-gun folks want. Overnight it will turn legal gun owners into criminals.

11. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Good job trump. This will now put an end to all gun violence :rolleyes:

12. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

All it’s going to take now is for someone to hear you “rapid fireing“ and the police will have “probable cause” to get a search warrant for your property for a illegal bump stock.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 28, 2018 ---
    A decent start to what exactly?

13. Carnegie macrumors 6502a

Under the proposed rule, people who have covered devices would have to turn them in, destroy them, or otherwise render them inoperable. And no, the rule doesn’t contemplate them being reimbursed for their devices.

14. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

So many unfortunate boating accidents coming in the near future.

15. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

There are going to be so many boating accidents they’re going to have to pass a new constitutional amendment that bans firearms on anything that floats!

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

You are only a criminal if you get caught;)

17. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

Yeah, are the Feds going to pay people full price to come over and take away their bump stocks? In the history of forever, a bump stock has been used once in a mass shooting (or a crime) as far as I know.

People bought these legally and they are their personal property. The user is still pulling the trigger every time it fires, but the user is pulling the firearm forward against a steady finger to activate the trigger, instead of using a finger to pull the trigger towards the rear.

I've gone through a 12 month wait for permission from the BATFE to buy my short barrel rifles and suppressors, with the pleasure of paying a $200 tax stamp for each of them after the lengthy wait.

Are the feds going to make/let people register them as "machine guns" and go through the 12 month wait and $200 tax stamp each time, or will they haul the bump stocks away and destroy personal property?

There's likely to be something unconstitutional here, depending on how they approach it.

18. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I would be stocking up on bumpstocks, but I don't want to encourage spay and pray.

Each bullet matters, you need to make sure it finds a nice home, before you pull the trigger.

19. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

20. Zenithal, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018

Zenithal macrumors G3

It ended up being the GOP to enforce a gun control measure. Interesting. If the courts invalidate it, it isn't the end. It's a stain, tarnish, whatever you wish to use on this Administration and the current GOP. It'll be ammo for whomever the Libs get for 2020, provided they're not very old or so out of touch with middle America.

In the end, voters barely recall policy and often won't vote for it. They'll vote for the candidate. Trump and Clinton were very corporate. But Trump knew how to turn on the charm by being like who was around him. Clinton somehow forgot she came from a very average, middle class family. Which is why she never bothered with middle America or blue-collar regions as much as Trump.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm certain this will tarnish whatever legacy this administration will have. Just hang it next to the other couple dozen tarnishing events.

21. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

meh.....it's a feel-good law mainly directed at people who aren't familiar with firearms. means nothing for anyone interested in rapid firing a rifle.

22. raqball macrumors 68000

Let me start by saying I am a conservative and I strongly support the 2nd...

There needs to be a middle ground but the problem is neither side of the argument will budge a speck in either direction... I have no problem waiting 30 days to get a gun I want to purchase and I have no problem with magazine capacity limits.

What I won't go for is banning any type of semi automatic weapon for a law abiding citizen who can pass a background check.

23. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

You wouldn't agree. As far as I'm concerned, that's a rhetorical question.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 29, 2018 ---
    Great, so nobody should be upset then. That's not what I'm seeing in this thread but whatever.

24. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

The moments I agree with a Trump administration move are rare, but this is one. Good for them.

25. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

I thought this was going to be about some shady stock market practice of bumping stocks to artificially inflate their value being banned.