Trump admits to influencing a witness

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Jun 23, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

In a Fox interview, Trump admitted that his tweet about "tapes" was meant to threaten James Comey:

"But when he found out that I, you know, that there may be tapes out there, whether it's governmental tapes or anything else, and who knows, I think his story may have changed. I mean you'll have to take a look at that, because then he has to tell what actually took place at the events.

And my story didn't change. My story was always a straight story. My story was always the truth. But you'll have to determine for yourself whether or not his story changed. But I did not tape."​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hite-house-tapes-ruse/?utm_term=.01c4f2103e20

Interesting! Whether or not Comey's story did change (and I don't think it did myself; he designed his memos in such a way and with sufficient witnesses to make it very hard for their contents to later change), Donald Trump is saying that he explicitly tried to change the story of a witness. That the whole "tapes" thing was a bluff designed to scare Comey.

Again, this is the "it's not the crime, it's the coverup" problem. Trump probably wasn't colluding with the Russians. But Trump here was very obviously trying to threaten someone into making their story more palatable to his needs. That's a big no-no, especially when you are wielding the power of the bully pulpit.

2. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

It's not rocket science, either he had them or he didn't. As soon as he decided to drag this one for a few weeks, and avoid answering direct questions about this tape, I already knew he was bluffing. Besides, what incentive would Comey have being caught in a lie if there were such tapes, he already got fired. He even suggested that the tapes be released while giving his testimony, since he had nothing to hide.

It's what I keep saying and I continue to say. I understand the frustration, but if there's nothing there, let the damn thing take it's course and stop impeding and deflecting so that you can be vindicated and move on with your life, but it's like what he's doing is the complete opposite, further fueling speculation as to what his intentions are.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

This is what many I've seen on the right (on this forum) seems to keep missing. The Russia thing? Yes.. it's important. And I really have little opinion as to Trump's guilt on that. That's why we have to have an investigation. But the obstruction and bullying is not acceptable.

Borrowing from history - they didn't get Al Capone on his big crimes - they got him on tax evasion. If Trump were to go down - I don't think it will be for something major. I think it will be over something stupid that he's done to himself.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Maybe. But knowing Trump as we do, he is not likely to concede a place in history to Richard Nixon. After all, Nixon resigned in the face of his impending impeachment. And also, why settle for such a piddling little list of high crimes and misdemeanors as was scrounged up aginst ol' Tricky Dick? Surely Donald Trump could do better than that!

If I were a lawyer, I wouldn't take the job of trying to get Trump to save himself for all the tea in China. The guy seems to be trying to bring the house down around his own ears, for some reason. He does harm to himself so often when he opens his mouth about his perceptions of "the rule of law" as applicable to the affairs of one Donald J. Trump.

6. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

it would only scare someone who was either being untruthful or planning to be untruthful. if Comey wasn't then he had no concerns if there were or were not recordings and thus no reason to have been "scared" You can't bluff someone unless their behavior would change based on the bluff.

I see no influencing happening here...

7. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

But that's not the point. Attempting to influence a witness who is lying is no different than attempting to influence a witness who is already telling the truth.

In any case, Trump has already revealed that he thought Comey was lying, and he made the threat explicitly to get him to change his story:

"So it was a smart way to make sure he stayed honest in those hearings?" Fox News anchor Ainsley Earhardt followed up.

"Well, it wasn't very stupid, I can tell you that. He was — he did admit that what I said was right. And if you look further back, before he heard about that, I think maybe he wasn't admitting that," Trump said without specifying to which of Comey's past statements he was alluding. "So, you'll have to do a little investigative reporting to determine that. But I don't think it will be that hard."​

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/23/trump-james-comey-tapes-response-239892

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Donald Trump won't resign because he would be the 2nd president to do so - and he could never be #2... Must be #1 ;)

You've missed the point. It doesn't matter whether or not Comey would be scared. In Trump's mind - he was being intimidating and threatening Comey. Comey had no concerns - he said Lordy, I hope there are tapes. Trump was trying to bluff - that much is clear. But as you said - you can' bluff someone who is telling the truth. Trump though thought he could. Or that he could misdirect people enough to cast doubt on Comey.

Total fail.

9. HEK Suspended

HEK

Plus the Donald doesn't need to be successful in his intimidation to be guilty. All he has to do is try to intimidate, which he point blank said is what he did. He just confessed to intimidating a witness.

10. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Sue him......oh wait....

Comey cast doubt on himself and needed no help from Trump.

11. samcraig, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017

samcraig macrumors P6

And yet Trump helped him. And because of it - Comey's credibility was raised over conversations he had with Trump and Trump looks (again) like a liar.

Trump is his own worst enemy. I've said it before and I'll say it again. He will sink himself. SS Trumptanic.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

So we know where that leads! He'll be #1 and #9.

#1: The only POTUS to be impeached and removed from office.
    #9: The 9th person in the history of the US to be impeached and removed from office.

There have been 22 people impeached in the history of the USA, and Trump, going the path that he is going, is looking to be #23. So he can't even get that right!

BL.

13. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

And I mean even so, take Trump out of the equation, Republican or Democrat it doesn't matter, we have a foreign entity that's involved in our democratic process and influencing our elections, which is huge. Granted we're guilty of the same across the globe, but this problem isn't going to go away regardless of who's POTUS.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

The ultimate irony is TRUMP trying to keep someone else HONEST. Well irony and hypocrisy.

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

If that was the goal Trump is an idiot who doesn't know who he is dealing with.

Trump is playing this:

IMG_3572.JPG

While Comey is playing this:

IMG_3573.JPG

Oh he is definitely #2. A huge mountain of #2. Bigly.

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I don't know that Trump is even capable of understanding his own hypocrisy. He's all in for himself and however that is, position-wise, can change from hour to hour, maybe even minute to minute in an interview or debating situation.

His ways of being towards Comey were always about Trump's own options as he saw them at the moment, including the "wisdom" of tossing out the idea that tapes might exist of his and Comey's conversations. Who knows if Trump ever even considered that there might have been some legal circumstance under which Comey might have made such tapes lol.

But no. Trump's line of thinking was more along the line of how Comey wouldn't like tapes to exist because, heh, Trump couldn't name that many situations where he'd like them to exist either,,,, and,,,, "anyway nothing I said was wrong so if Comey's not sure about that on his own account,,,,, yeah.. tapes, just the ticket!!"

Donald Snow White Trump.... ever pure of purpose.​

See I think in order to be hypocritical you must at least be vaguely aware that you've been of two minds about something over a period of time. Trump's in the eternal now. His view is the One True View. How can ever that be hypocritical?!

Time to get back to digging up dockweed roots and leave the dime novels of politics alone again, I think I may have been having more fun outdoors. :D

17. samcraig, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017

samcraig macrumors P6

Off topic - then do you think Mitchy understands what a hypocrite he is when it comes to the healthcare bill? ;)

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

in a word: yesSirreeBob.

Still off topic: Mitch probably wishes he could influence some Senators right about now...

On topic more or less: But, I suspect he's just a tad more straight arrow than the Prez. He's gonna let Ted Cruz put up an amendment already agreed to behind the scenes to influence the rest of the holdouts... "the right way to influence people" is let them think they came to the conclusion unassisted by the master puppeteer.

On topic: I would love to be a fly on the wall to any face to face convos the Prez and Mitch McConnell happen to have. I bet they both take witnesses along to preclude any "hypocrisy" that might otherwise occur later on... :D

19. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

So it seems his tweet was in fact to troll Comey into picking his words carefully - truthfully - when leaking to the media and in testimony.

I'm not saying it was aliens, but it was aliens. :cool:

20. samcraig macrumors P6

Except it backfired. Do you really think Comey would have lied under oath? As much as I don't care for him - I don't see it. And again - the irony or complete projection of believing Comey would be the one lying.

I guess you're admitting that Trump was in some what threatening Comey. Which is what we've all be saying. I don't see much of a difference between "trolling" and "intimidation" in this case. Either one, though, is completely inappropriate to do to a material witness.

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

That might even be construed as... you know... obstruction of justice.

I'm not sayin', but I'm trying to say...

BL.

22. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

It's okay if you don't think it was successful but it's looking pretty clear the explanation i provided on why he might have tweeted it was accurate. Sorry to blow my own horn but I don't often hit home runs.

That would have made me laugh if the repeated reckless misuse of terms wasn't a significant reason words lose their meaning. The tweet was not obstruction of justice, nor is asking Comey to conclude the Flynn investigation.

23. samcraig macrumors P6

As I said - you weren't right, you weren't wrong. But neither was anyone else in this thread. Pat yourself on the back - it's ok. Trump does it.

24. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

That I will! I only got on base once in little league because I got hit in the middle of the back. I wisely switched to wrestling.

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You still miss it. Threatening Comey with the possible existence of tapes to, in your own words, throw Comey off his game, does equate to intimidating a material witness in an investigation, which can lead to obstruction of justice.

But keep deflecting.

BL.