Trump admits truth about NAFTA flip-flop

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Apr 28, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Well, I guess you can depend on Trump to not be able to keep his mouth shut. It turns out that those phone calls from Mexico and Canada didn't sway him on whether to leave the NAFTA treaty; it was actually Sonny Perdue. Trump admitted this in an interview with the Washington Post that is just too good not to quote:

It wasn’t pleas from foreign leaders or CEOs that prompted the president to change his mind. It was a map of the United States that apparently proved decisive in the tug-of-war between the populists and the globalists inside the administration.

Newly sworn-in Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue brought to the Oval Office an illustration of the areas that would be hardest hit if the United States pulled out of the compact, particularly in agriculture and manufacturing. It highlighted that many of those who would suffer from a trade war — especially exporters — live in “Trump country,” the counties that voted most overwhelmingly for him last November.

“It shows that I do have a very big farmer base, which is good,” Trump recalled in an interview with The Washington Post last night. “They like Trump, but I like them, and I’m going to help them.”

This was a master stroke by the former governor of Georgia, who clearly understands his new boss’s love for visuals.

[​IMG]
    Trump, accompanied by Sonny Perdue, left, arrives for a roundtable with farmers in the Roosevelt Room on Tuesday. (Andrew Harnik/AP)

“I was all set to terminate,” Trump explained in the Oval Office. “I looked forward to terminating. I was going to do it.” He turned to Jared Kushner, who was standing near his desk, and asked, “Was I ready to terminate NAFTA?” “Yeah,” his son-in-law replied.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...2af99e9b69b3a72331eec/?utm_term=.bda4a582a39e

Yep, that's right. If you can't trust me, you can trust my son-in-law Jared!

2. MadeTheSwitch, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017

MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

What a child he is.

But at least drawing pictures work. Just like it does on most children. :D

Still, it's really pathetic how so many people have to keep this 70 year old man-child coloring within the lines.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

4. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

5. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

I'm crying right now. :D:D

6. niploteksi macrumors regular

Are you really that surprised?

From the little I saw of the campaign, I wasn't very impressed by his general understanding of the world. Or maybe my English isn't good enough to figure out what he was actually saying.

7. AsherN macrumors 6502

Nobody's English is quite good enough to make sense of what he's saying.

8. niploteksi macrumors regular

Should have been setting off alarms with most people...

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Glad the chicken guy was able to get through to Trump.