Trump admits truth about NAFTA flip-flop

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Well, I guess you can depend on Trump to not be able to keep his mouth shut. It turns out that those phone calls from Mexico and Canada didn't sway him on whether to leave the NAFTA treaty; it was actually Sonny Perdue. Trump admitted this in an interview with the Washington Post that is just too good not to quote:

It wasn’t pleas from foreign leaders or CEOs that prompted the president to change his mind. It was a map of the United States that apparently proved decisive in the tug-of-war between the populists and the globalists inside the administration.

Newly sworn-in Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue brought to the Oval Office an illustration of the areas that would be hardest hit if the United States pulled out of the compact, particularly in agriculture and manufacturing. It highlighted that many of those who would suffer from a trade war — especially exporters — live in “Trump country,” the counties that voted most overwhelmingly for him last November.

“It shows that I do have a very big farmer base, which is good,” Trump recalled in an interview with The Washington Post last night. “They like Trump, but I like them, and I’m going to help them.”

This was a master stroke by the former governor of Georgia, who clearly understands his new boss’s love for visuals.

Trump, accompanied by Sonny Perdue, left, arrives for a roundtable with farmers in the Roosevelt Room on Tuesday. (Andrew Harnik/AP)

“I was all set to terminate,” Trump explained in the Oval Office. “I looked forward to terminating. I was going to do it.” He turned to Jared Kushner, who was standing near his desk, and asked, “Was I ready to terminate NAFTA?” “Yeah,” his son-in-law replied.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2017/04/28/daily-202-this-is-how-trump-looks-out-for-the-people-who-voted-for-him/5902af99e9b69b3a72331eec/?utm_term=.bda4a582a39e

Yep, that's right. If you can't trust me, you can trust my son-in-law Jared!

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
What a child he is.

But at least drawing pictures work. Just like it does on most children. :D

Still, it's really pathetic how so many people have to keep this 70 year old man-child coloring within the lines.

Last edited:

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
“I was all set to terminate,” Trump explained in the Oval Office. “I looked forward to terminating. I was going to do it.” He turned to Jared Kushner, who was standing near his desk, and asked, “Was I ready to terminate NAFTA?” “Yeah,” his son-in-law replied.
I'm crying right now. :D:D

niploteksi

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2016
Jesus H. Christ.

What an idiot.
Are you really that surprised?

Hewitt's question:

"Mr. Trump, Dr. Carson just referenced the single most important job of the president, the command, the control and the care of our nuclear forces. And he mentioned the triad. The B-52s are older than I am. The missiles are old. The submarines are aging out. It's an executive order. It's a commander-in-chief decision.

"What's your priority among our nuclear triad?"

And the response from Trump:

"Well, first of all, I think we need somebody absolutely that we can trust, who is totally responsible, who really knows what he or she is doing. That is so powerful and so important.

But we have to be extremely vigilant and extremely careful when it comes to nuclear. Nuclear changes the whole ballgame. Frankly, I would have said get out of Syria; get out – if we didn't have the power of weaponry today. The power is so massive that we can't just leave areas that 50 years ago or 75 years ago we wouldn't care. It was hand-to-hand combat."
From the little I saw of the campaign, I wasn't very impressed by his general understanding of the world. Or maybe my English isn't good enough to figure out what he was actually saying.