Trump already setting up his excuse not to debate?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zioxide, Jul 30, 2016.

1. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Screen Shot 2016-07-30 at 12.22.02 PM.png

Donny's already making up lies about the debates. Is this the first step in him trying to weasel out of him for claiming they're rigged/biased/whatever?

For the record, the debate schedule was set over a year ago by an independent commission in charge of running them.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...16-general-election-debate-schedule/81238502/

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well of course he could not debate his way out of a wet paper bag. name calling and insults don't make up for lack of any plans or understanding. Hillary will drag him around by the nut sack and clean the floor with him.

3. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

On various issues, one could probably mop the floor with the other. But he's written books like "The Art of the Deal", how can he so worried to do even a single debate?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 30, 2016 ---
    Also, the tweet does not say he is going to not debate. He is insinuating the debates will somehow be rigged.

Maybe he could find a way to do a debate that both sides could agree on?

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Why? This debate schedule was set long ago. Why should it be changed now? The USA is a busy place. There are always going to be other things competing.

And really, wouldn't less eyeballs only help him so they couldn't see his embarrassing performance? It's not like people don't know who he is.

5. 617aircav Suspended

lol at these candidates. Trump is afraid of debates and Hillary is scared of press conferences.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I expect that Trump will debate Hillary just like he released his tax returns. Oh wait....

7. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Sorry, I had to look that up...I was thinking "What?! The Donald wrote something?!" (then I was thinking "...in crayon, right?") ;)

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump:_The_Art_of_the_Deal

"Trump: The Art of the Deal is a 1987 book credited to businessman Donald Trump and journalist Tony Schwartz."

I'm thinking that Mr Schwartz likely did the lions share of the work here...

8. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Not just thinking...Mr. Schwartz has outright said that. He just followed Trump around and Trump would dictate some material to him. And now he regrets helping him....a lot.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/19/us/politics/trump-book-tony-schwartz.html?_r=0

9. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

True, but many political and business figures invariably have ghostwriters, who may or may not say anything they want afterward, for whatever reasons, and with equal or unequal veracity as the stuff they had written.
    Civilization has been going downhill for some time, I wonder why he claims it but hasn't really noticed it. Otherwise he makes fun points.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Waiting for Trump to body slam Hillary through the debate stage.Literally.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

12. 617aircav Suspended

What's up with these two. Trump won't release his tax returns and Hillary refuses to release the transcripts of her paid speeches by bankers. Both are hiding something. My guess is Trumps financials won't add up and Hillary never really gave a speech. Probably just said a few words and was paid.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Hillary might have her 47% moment there. Neither belongs in the wh

14. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Why is the first debate scheduled so long after the conventions?

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

In case Hilary gets indicted? :D

16. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

I'm not from the US and don't have a vote.

But if you are a Clinton supporter whatever you do don't underestimate Donald Trump, that would be a huge mistake. Nobody expected him to be the nominee, you under estimate him and the electorate at your peril.

If you want your candidate to win get off your backside to implore like minded people to vote.

In the UK we now know to take polls with a massive grain of salt. They were wrong last election and they were wrong in the referendum.

I don't think either candidate is particularly good, so is it a case of who is least bad. Is that what we have come to? That's a sad state of affairs.

There are things Trump says I agree with, there are things Clinton says I agree with.

17. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Trump is 100% correct. The debate should take place during 3am-4am Monday morning due to his servere intellectual handicap. It's complete bias to expect Trump to make sense while people are watching.

18. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Is that gonna happen before or after Trump is arrested and charged with espionage and treason? :D
    You're 100% right. I think people are starting to get it. My mom for the first time expressed to me today that she wants to register to vote and intends to vote for Clinton. She says this is the first time a presidential election actually scares her.

19. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Whether you’re pro- or anti-Hillary, she has high-pressure debate experience and it’ll probably be disasterous for Trump because he doesn’t have strong debating skills. Trump still has tons to hit Hillary hard with, but when it comes to debating actual how-to for policies, I think Trump is going to be embarrassed. And that doesn’t mean Hillary has good how-to answers for solving problems, but really Trump had better practice on conveying actual plans if he doesn’t want to appear as a lightweight.

20. KALLT macrumors 601

American polls are quite predictable, as proven by Nate Silver during the last 12 years. Clinton had a very comfortable lead according to his model, with a 70+% chance of winning. However, the last couple of weeks were very tumultuous and her chances of winning are now down to 61%. We have to see how it develops over the next weeks. This happened four years ago as well, where Obama’s consistent 70+% lead got down to ~60% in the last months leading up the elections, but after the debates, Obama’s chances climbed back up to 90+%.

21. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I think you misinterpret his intentions here. I think he is just using this as a reason to poke at Hillary for not being willing to debate Bernie.

When she does an hour long PC with no limits on Q's, then her supporters can bash Trump on this. But not until.

22. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

That's fine and good and the right thing to do.

I'm not making a comment on either candidate. But what is clear is that there is a feeling on the left that 'nobody would ever vote for a nutjob like Trump', and they will end up getting ambushed. You are in a fight for you electoral life. See what has happened in the rest of the world, we live in difficult times. I CAN'T STRESS THAT POINT ENOUGH.

In saying that I also want to say that there are some things that Trump says I agree with, it was interesting that Clinton's speech at the convention deliberately echoed many of his comments. That's because they are the right policies.

I voted for Brexit. Pollsters and commentators in the UK thought it would never happen. You're in a similar position in the US, whatever you do don't take it for granted. FIGHT.

23. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

24. Herdfan macrumors 6502

There fixed that for you. ;)

The public is angry.

Trump supporter: Fear of not being able to support their family in today's economy.

Hillary supporter: Fear of which bathroom they will have to use.

Polling will be harder this cycle because if anyone remembers 4 years ago Romney was up by 3 on the final weekend and lost by a comfortable margin. That was because Obama created excitement of his base. So the polls missed because they over-weight GOP turnout or under-weighted Dem turnout.

But in this cycle Trump supporters are mad and Hillary is not generating the same level of excitement as Obama. So the polls vs. the results will be interesting to see.

25. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Trump is a pathological liar. He knows he can spout any lie and get away with it as the fact checkers scramble to point out his errors. But he's moved on to the next bluster. He's like a walking, talking, human tabloid magazine.