Trump also has Mueller in his sights?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Jul 20, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I guess I missed this last night, but Trump is not just angry at Sessions. He seems to be getting ready to clean house throughout the justice department, including special counsel Mueller:

Trump raised the prospect of firing Mueller in his interview with the Times, suggesting he had damaging information on the former FBI director. The president said Mueller’s selection for the job was a conflict of interest because Trump had spoken with him about returning to the FBI after the firing of James Comey in May.

“There were many other conflicts that I haven’t said, but I will at some point,” Trump said.

He lobbed similar conflict of interest charges at acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein. He also accused Comey of briefing him on a dossier of unverified, incriminating information in an effort to gain leverage over the soon-to-be president.​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...53480672286_story.html?utm_term=.40fdf279bd1e

In fact, he made a specific threat against Mueller:

President Trump warned special counsel Robert Mueller from investigating his family’s finances beyond the scope of the probe into ties between his administration and Russia in an interview with The New York Times on Wednesday.

“I think that’s a violation. Look, this is about Russia,” Trump told The Times.

Trump during the interview said he wasn’t ruling out firing Mueller as special counsel on the Russia probe.​

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...nst-investigating-his-familys-finances-beyond

Is Trump just having a bad day, or is he preparing to turn on everyone in his administration?

2. daflake macrumors 6502a

I think it is fair to assume that nobody is safe with Trump. If you go against him, he will try to fire you. It is like The Apprentice all over again...

Stupid show then, stupid play now.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

I think this is another smokescreen. He had no explosive dirt on Obama. He had no tapes on Comey. He doesn't have anything on Mueller. Firing Mueller would turn the heat up on him and his family. I don't care if it's legal or not - to me, it's obstruction when you keep firing the people investigating you. Or who are part of an investigation about you.

He's also an idiot - because now he sounds even more guilty. He doesn't want his family's finances because the investigation is about Russia? Exactly - so there should be no worry unless they are hiding something.

4. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Wow. Sounds like a thinly veiled threat to his co-conspirators: "I have dirt on all of you. Keep quiet or I'll squeal"

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I thought he couldn't fire Mueller directly. If so, Trump might end up instigating another Saturday Night Massacre. I remember when that happened, and it was a very big deal and hurt Nixon a lot.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well exactly. As I had posted halfway jokingly somewhere else earlier, he could actually be aiming at provoking a Constitutional crisis. The system gamer par excellence, no? He has to get someone in the AG chain at DoJ to fire Mueller. The Obama era holdovers are gone, Sessions has recused himself, Deputy AG Rosenstein has suggested he might have to recuse himself, that leaves Rachel Brand, Associate Attorney General.

These posts have to be confirmed by the Senate and if Trump doesn't nominate replacements, then what?

I think there is a post called Associate Deputy Attorney General... don't know if it is vacant, the prior holder left in January... the firing chain could get as ridiculous as the org chart probably is...

7. HEK Suspended

HEK

Must be threat week at White House.

Threaten senators, threaten Sessions, threaten Rosenstein, threaten Mueller.......making merika great again one threat at a time. Maybe the Donald needs to find a Mistress so he can have a one nighter like Napolean. Who knew the Donald was such a history buff. And he has it on good authority, the Russians can fight real well in the cold. (Putin told him) in his second hour long meeting that went by so fast the Donald felt it was only 15 minutes. How time flys when you are colluding.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Who knew colluding could be so difficult?

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

And such a waste of time if there's "nothing wrong with colluding" as his supporters suggest...

Meanwhile he makes his grasp of office more tenuous by playing with the ideas of firing the Special Counsel or the DoJ officials who can make that guy go away. As his lawyers must have told him, the next step on the roadmap he's apparently following is an Independent Commission: does he really want to go there?

His and his party's legislative agenda is in shambles and he gives a casual interview to media in which he toys with the idea of firing the Special Counsel... man, you can't even make this stuff up. And that his advisers even let him give an interview with only Hope Hicks in the room to guide him away from any sinkholes of his own making just boggles my mind.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If he fires Mueller, what do you guys think will happen?

I'm hoping for, although I can't say I'd expect a political firestorm which might lead to his impeachment. Hey, did you guys see The Trump Organization LLC sign on the lawn of The White House? It's there whether it's visible or not. The sooner we can say sayonara to the jolly band of Trumpsters, the better off the country will be.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

Two things I find interesting and will ponder on..

1. He hates the NYT - but he did this interview. (Also, I think he goes after TV news more because he doesn't read. He likes to see his name in print - but he watches TV)

2. It's almost as if he makes these comments and then gauges the reaction of his base and makes a decision on that. It's like his own polling mechanism. Skewed - but he loves his fans! He did this throughout the election cycle. You could literally see him testing out new material on the crowds during his speeches. If it didn't go over well - you didn't hear it again. But if it got a reaction - he repeated it then and again in other speeches. You can see how he gauges the response in these moments. It's like a comic trying out a set during an amateur night.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

His hard core of supporters will lose maybe another 4%. Most will say Mueller had conflict of interest. I am convinced his really hard core will never abandon him and will excoriate their fellow Americans and Congress forever if Trump is impeached, removed or forced to resign. The voices in Congress that are sliding away from Trump on the GOP side will get louder. Calls for an Independent Commission will rise from the Democrats and there may be some Republicans joining in. Trump will do something else stupid and Ryan will finally inform him that he's looking at impeachment -- on whatever looks good for it at that moment, figuring time will only improve the substance of the charges, the way Trump mouths off. Trump will say bring it. He might be impeached, with the House leadership hoping the guy would just resign before that wrapped up. If impeached, don't know about removal by the Senate, but we can safely say McConnell's not a fan of preventing it, since Trump tried to lay off failure of ACA fix/repeal on Mitch before realizing that was maybe a mistake and reverted to threatening holdout senators.

Why I say his core base will never abandon? Here is an excerpt from some comment I saw in the comments today on that Times interview in which Trump slid into talk of firing Mueller:

I love Trump. He is hilarious. Even though I voted for Obama twice, I supported Trump from the beginning if only because he was a refreshing underdog. I never really thought he had a chance in the very beginning but here he is as President and still delivering wisecracks and un-politically correct common sense. That the fake news media and uber-liberals are still up in arms and foaming at the mouth make it all the more entertaining. He is pretty much guaranteed to win reelection at this rate.
    The innermost core members of the core of Trump supporters are fans of reality TV even if they never watch it and don't realize their fondness for the genre; it has seeped into our culture everywhere now. That Trump makes hilariously impolitic remarks completely pales in the face of the attempts Trump and his crew are making to disengage American government from the Consttiutional protections of our homeland itself and of all Americans. Yet here's this guy celebrating his hero Trump for supposedly taking on "fake news and uber-liberals" -- and assuring himself and readers of the NYT that Trump's re-election is pretty much guaranteed. One can hope he is mistaken on that last point. I'd expect him to be primaried by his own party. On the other hand, I never in a million years would have thought this country would elect this man.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

Sorry - did you say you pulled that comment from a NYT reader.. or from a forum post here... ;)

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I found that interesting too. The Times apparently tried to take a different tack in the interview and in its reporting on that interview as well. Less challenge, more inquiry and invitation for Trump to express his views. (Certainly there will be other places in the NYT where ensuing opinion/analysis may deserve those tags lol). The reporting was focused on presenting what Trump said and had very little of what sometimes gets thrown in as background with phrases that suggest an offset to what's being reported. So Trump probably will like the piece. That piece anyway, and so for now, those particular reporters. LOL The Don getting reeled in by a newspaper? Or maybe he'll figure he finally got them trained.

15. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

That's exactly what it is. Only it's simply his typical bluster - he has nothing.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If you want to be shaken to your core about the integrity of the US and it's citizens as a whole look at the hard core Trumpets for a quick trip to the Twilight Zone and ask yourself how many like minded citizens we are blessed with. :oops:

17. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

This man even threw Jeff Sessions under the bus, further proof that no one is safe under the Trump admin. Now he's threatening Mueller if he goes digging into his finances, hmmm I wonder why. This guy is still firing people left and right, you can only play that game for so long. You can fire Mueller but you cannot dictate what he can and cannot investigate. No one is above the law, not even the POTUS.

And just to further add, his core base will never abandon Trump, even if he came out tomorrow with a press conference admitting to the whole Russia thing, his base will still be behind him. He can throw his whole base under the buss and they'd come crawling back like suckers.

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah. I have to do the math once a day and remind myself that Trump's core group is not enough to swing an election. They're enough to give the Republican party agita though.

On the almost-bright side: Evangelicals are not what I would consider core Trump. The SC pick that made them hold nose and vote for Trump has been made already. They would love to see Pence take Trump's place about five minutes from now.

The GOP may at some point realize their 2020 chances are better with Pence than Trump anyway. Trump better hope not, because if some of the evangelicals' congress critters start pitching impeachment, look out. They might even be able to sway a lot of the core Trump fans if they start talking about how he lied about draining the swamp etc. It means nothing for Dems to say that to core supporters of the Don.

That doesn't make me feel any better about how this country managed to come around to electing a person with the character of Donald Trump to start with. It does make me feel better about the diminished prospects of Trump's re-election. In a way I almost hope Trump finishes his term and runs again. Almost. As I said, if he's removed and Pence is installed, the GOP probably has an advantage in 2020. Hard to say without knowing how the budget, debt ceiling hike and the infernal health care mess shake out.

19. HEK Suspended

HEK

Working for his son.
    "I never met with Russians"
    "OK we met but talked about orphans"
    "OK I colluded here is the proof, my emails"
    "Best son, so truthful, so open, just the best"
    "Everyone does it, all the senators I had lunch with told me they would do it too"

Hey Donnie....give me more , give more, who knew another name for nothing burger is shitsandwitch. Feed me more feed more yum yum.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

They are so much in the eternal now that they don't see how absurd the progression looks over time.

wow,,,, a little fail on the forum filters, that's different... post of the day? enjoy it while it lasts. :D

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I get the feeling his core base sniffs rubber cement and guests on Jerry Springer. How else could you explain it.

22. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Hmm. I don't see that. The US has a two-party system of federal government, which means that a whole lot of folks are underrepresented. The Republican Party suffered for many years trying to compete against the "big tent" Democrats. That changed with the rise, and acceptance into the party, of the "Tea Party" movement -- the Republican Party suddenly became the beast with two heads, and gained a significantly larger base of support.

Trump is the representation of this new head (whether or not he is really pushing forward their agenda). If they cut him off, they are liable to lose the Tea Party folks, which will tear the party in half, and likely push them back out into the wilderness for some time to come...

23. HEK Suspended

HEK

Thanks

Never could understand why common term for feces is offensive.

24. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

What's the old saying about the pot calling the kettle black?

25. MarkusL macrumors 6502

"And all the Russians I had lunch with too!"