Trump Aministration to Enforce Federal Marijuana Laws

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac 128, Feb 23, 2017.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

that would be stupid so trump will do it. it is a lost war and just fills prisons. but since trump seems to be for profit prisons I can see it.

2. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Oh my God! Trump is enforcing laws again! How dare he!

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

What happened to "states rights"?

That said it is a stupid thing to enforce since it is a huge waste of money.

4. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Last time I checked, he didn't make the law.

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

How can things like guns, gay rights, and transgender rights be states' rights issues, but pot isn't also something that locals in a state should be able to decide for themselves?

Conservatives and Trump need to start being consistent on this whole state's rights thing.

6. uknowimright macrumors 6502a

uknowimright

step 1: deflect

7. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Step 1: State Facts.

8. Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

I don't smoke so it doesn't affect me but why didn't Obama remove it from schedule 1 list when he was in? Everyone had to know that eventually someone would start enforcing the federal part of the law again.

9. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Cause he himself probably likes weed.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

states rights only matter when it benefits conservatives. like guns and hating on the gays and transgender.

11. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Executive Discretion

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

So Obama did NOT enforce it? Feds raided pot shops here.

13. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

From what I remember the FEDs went after shops that were operating outside the state laws. Obama used discretion on enforcing the over all Federal ban, which is why so many shops in legal states didn't get raided.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

They should legalize it but I imagine big pharma is in the way

15. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

So Trump is down with states handling bathrooms but is against states that legalized pot. I guess those private prisons won't fill themselves otherwise.

16. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Oh that's such a waste. It's just like alcohol except with way less overdose deaths. Tax it, sell it, profit! Why not? It grows in the ground naturally...

17. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

how does tossing the decision to the states make it hating on gays and trannies?

now excuse me while I claim to be a black woman and go to open a minority business...

also, the Federal law is already on the books, thus it should be enforced or the law changed. The consistency everyone is looking for is right there. Laws that are on the books are being enforced. Want to change the law, go for it. Until then he's going to consistently enforce our laws.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This should have been priority #5927384952131324

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

There's only so much manpower to enforce them and so much money to increase that manpower we will always have to make decisions about which laws to enforce.

20. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

My take on it....one drug off the list so LE, DEA, etc can you know, worry about the actual bad drugs. Lots of money and resources burned to nail that massive shipment of pot. resources better put to more dangerous stuff really.

Not even going to go I know a guy....I found weed to be at some levels as alcohol really. effects, proper use, etc. Proper use as an example. Would I as a reasonable person do shots galore or down a 6 pack 6 hours before work? No. Would I operate a car drinking? No. Pot was the same way. make pot rules like alcohol...and this is SSDD across government and private sector policy wise really.

What I am not getting here is the starting of mixed signals. trump in the campaigns seemed to be state rights. You know the good old republican "big government" hysteria thing.

21. Zenithal macrumors 68040

It's going to be amusing to watch multiple state AGs file lawsuit and drown the DOJ in legal material. Which is what they said they'd do. Meanwhile, there's more deaths each year from opioids and OTC drugs such as Tyelnol and Advil.

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

More like continuation of mixed signals. Trump had them his entire campaign. Now that he is starting to get a cabinet he says one thing and his cabinet members say another, which was something predicted would happen. And here we are in a state of chaos because the guy at the top is off his rocker.

23. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Yup

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I wonder what Trump's opinion is of cocaine use. Just curious.