Trump Aministration to Enforce Federal Marijuana Laws

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
So Trump is down with states handling bathrooms but is against states that legalized pot. I guess those private prisons won't fill themselves otherwise.
One of those things is codified by long standing federal law. The law should be repealed but it shouldn't be ignored whilst it is in force.

Reactions: RobinInOR

mudslag

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
One of those things is codified by long standing federal law. The law should be repealed but it shouldn't be ignored whilst it is in force.

Everyone from the police, judges, prosecutors, FBI to the President have forms of discretion. At some point state rights count or they don't.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Everyone from the police, judges, prosecutors, FBI to the President have forms of discretion. At some point state rights count or they don't.
They don't count when there is a valid (as in lawful) federal law superseding their rights. The states' rights argument would be for repealing the law, not ignoring it. That's a dangerous path.

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
The Trump Federal Overreach…. first they go and take away your pot. Next they take away your sugary beverages. And then they take away your cigarettes (Trump doesn't drink or smoke, he finds it disgusting), and next they take away the guns. And he doesn't want the States to have a say in the matter.

Libertarians voted for this guy, right? o_O

mudslag

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
They don't count when there is a valid (as in lawful) federal law superseding their rights. The states' rights argument would be for repealing the law, not ignoring it. That's a dangerous path.

If you have a problem with the POTUS not enforcing some laws, you need to take that up with the founders who put the clause into Article II of the Constitution. The POTUS is not obligated to enforce every law on the books, hence executive discretion. Obama not enforcing laws regarding marijuana was not new nor original.
[doublepost=1487945628][/doublepost]
The Trump Federal Overreach…. first they go and take away your pot. Next they take away your sugary beverages. And then they take away your cigarettes (Trump doesn't drink or smoke, he finds it disgusting), and next they take away the guns. And he doesn't want the States to have a say in the matter.

Libertarians voted for this guy, right? o_O

I hear Obama is going to take our guns away any day now. :eek:

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
If I was a conspiracy nut, I would say the timing of this and the decision to keep for-profit prisons may be related...
Well, Trump would be brilliant IF he did the opposite…. Federally decriminalize pot, and then allow it to be sold to inmates as a recreational drug, since they really don't have anything better to do on any given prison day. And then the for-profit prison wardens will impose like a 35% sales tax on all weed that passes through the prison system. And the wardens then give Uncle Sam Trump his cut. And then suddenly President Hitler Trump has billions of dollars to spend building his wall to keep all those pesky Canadians oot!

DrewDaHilp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
All Your Memes Are Belong to US
states rights only matter when it benefits conservatives. like guns and hating on the gays and transgender.
State Rights only matter when it benefits liberals. Like gays and transgenders. See how stupid that sounds, so does your statement.
Oh that's such a waste. It's just like alcohol except with way less overdose deaths. Tax it, sell it, profit! Why not? It grows in the ground naturally...

I wonder what Trump's opinion is of cocaine use. Just curious.
Different from Obamas I would guess.

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
Not surprised..........the private sector is foaming at the mouth right now with all the new prisons we'll have to build, because you know... we can never have enough.

Police State here we come.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
I keep telling people, Trump is not playing checkers. Every move he makes is not for the sake of the move, it is for the checkmate move. So how will this be a checkmate? When entitlement programs are required under a new federal law to take drug tests to continue receiving their checks.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
State Rights only matter when it benefits liberals. Like gays and transgenders. See how stupid that sounds, so does your statement.

So the truth is bad? How often do we hear from even the trump administration how states rights are the ones that are the most important?

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I keep telling people, Trump is not playing checkers. Every move he makes is not for the sake of the move, it is for the checkmate move. So how will this be a checkmate? When entitlement programs are required under a new federal law to take drug tests to continue receiving their checks.
Keep telling us that he is a master while looking the jester. Yes drug tests let's do that and raise taxes to cover it. Hey maybe trump has investments in a drug testing lab. But first let's drug test all politicians and higher ups.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Increase immigration and deportation force.
Increase anti-marijuana force.

Anyone else seeing the rise of a military state?
No. I see a state in which there are laws, passed by an elected Congress and signed by a President and upheld/repealed by a Supreme Court, that are enforced as opposed to a state in which enforcement is optional.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
Keep telling us that he is a master while looking the jester. Yes drug tests let's do that and raise taxes to cover it. Hey maybe trump has investments in a drug testing lab. But first let's drug test all politicians and higher ups.
You really went down the wormhole with that one.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
You really went down the wormhole with that one.
No going on about drug testing the poor is just more stupid. Every time it has been done it has been a large failure. But hey let's keep doing it to make someone feel fine. It had been found to also be against the Constitution too but don't let that stop you from wanting it.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
No going on about drug testing the poor is just more stupid. Every time it has been done it has been a large failure. But hey let's keep doing it to make someone feel fine. It had been found to also be against the Constitution too but don't let that stop you from wanting it.
I don't see anywhere in my post where I said I wanted something one way or the other. I simply stated what will happen. Your fault insinuating.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I don't see anywhere in my post where I said I wanted something one way or the other. I simply stated what will happen. Your fault insinuating.
well you did vote for the guy would do it though didn't you? if it happens it shows how stupid some can be and expect the courts to knock it down again.