Trump and the end of American ideals

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Rogifan, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018

Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

http://theweek.com/articles-amp/801888/trump-end-american-ideals?__twitter_impression=true
    I don’t agree with everything in this piece but I think overall it’s pretty spot on. Trump’s message is “Do you want to be good or do you want to win? Because you can’t do both.” Republican base voters have decided winning is more important and the ends justify any means necessary.

2. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Name some successful Politicians that always did good and never won anything?

3. samcraig macrumors P6

4. matrix07, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018

matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

I agree that Trump is making the US “just another country” but obligtion to refugees? Really? Right now there are another 1,500 Hondurans going your way. If you accept it, how many more will come? Can you receive them all?

What obligation you have to these economic migrants?

The only obligation to these people anyone will have is feed them and send them back, forcefully if necessary.

5. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

You can be successful, yet never win?o_O How does that work?:confused:
    That peanut farmer from Georgia did good and never won anything. I wouldn't call him successful by any political means; more of a political dumpster fire. His works outside of politics is full of win; he's one of the finest humanitarian on Earth.

6. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

At some point, people around the world have to say and fight to make their homes better.

I have no trouble helping to take in woman, children, the elderly and disabled, but if you are an able bodied male, how about you fight for your rights, I'll even loan you a gun.:cool:

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Ironically of course it’s conservatives that don’t fight for their rights :).

8. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Rights are individual, I fight for my rights everyday, and I'll die or kill before I give them up.

Only a slave can free a slave, by refusing to be a slave.

9. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

The article specifically refers to refugees, not economic migrants. They're not the same... A refugee is "a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster"

http://www.un.org/en/sections/issues-depth/refugees/index.html

10. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Winners always end up losing at some point. Trump will be no different, especially in the history books. I wouldn't be surprised if kids in elementary are making fun of him before I'm eligible for AARP.

11. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Yeah.. but all the news I read never made a difference about these two. It’s good to know someone still do but most of the news I read didn’t.