Trump asking advisors about his power to pardon aides, family, and even himself

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Jul 20, 2017.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Well now...this is an interesting story that just came out:

Also this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ebf2c-6d71-11e7-b9e2-2056e768a7e5_story.html?

Now, why would someone that is supposedly innocent, be inquiring about his ability to pardon?

Oh, and they are trying to undermine the Mueller investigation too. Yeah, that doesn't look guilty at all. :rolleyes:

2. SusanK macrumors 68000

Because they are all innocent. Why else?

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Saw that news flash earlier. I assume a sitting president cannot pardon themselves.

4. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Supposedly it can be considered. It was suggested to Nixon, and he declined saying it was dishonorable. So the presidential historian says on Maddow.

5. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It's never been put to the test.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I feel like I'm too old to live through one of these gigs again but I'm willing to go get a cuppa coffee to see if that changes my mind lol brb

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I would think pardoning yourself would just go against all of the safeguards to have a clean presidency. What's to stop a person from breaking all of the rules and still keeping power. Now can congress overrule a selfie pardon?

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

It's trump he can do anything just ask him.

9. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Since it wasn't considered a possibility there supposedly aren't safeguards in place. Which is why it was an idea floated by Nixon, and now 45. Only Nixon thought so highly of the office, he didn't consider even going there.

10. LizKat, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017

LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Trump, what a selfish gloryhound. Let him resign and let Mikey pardon him the way Ford pardoned Nixon.

EDIT: it's the trust thing. He doesn't trust Pence to follow through on the pardons for him and his family and whoever else is on the list. List the size of the Manhattan phone book, maybe.

11. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

So instead of Nixon pardoning himself he did the honorable thing and talked Ford into doing the pardoning...

Sure, it was a long, bumpy, twisty/turny kind of ride, but shortly after Nixon got on the plane and flew off into the sunset, the spontaneous parties that erupted and lasted for days/weeks helped put all of us hippies living in the commune in the perfect mood to celebrate the Bicentennial in earnest.

Looking forward to experiencing the same soft of tension/release again, only I do hope Disco won't rear its ugly head this time...

12. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I hope we change our laws this time. And get some of our standards back. We've fallen so short.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

There is not much we could do about it now, but if close associates and family of Trump were to receive pardons for breaking the law, I could see the powers being curbed by the Congress, but I don't honestly know if that is within their power.

14. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I don't care what we have to do...constitutional amendment, whatever. Just amend our laws making it tougher for people to engage in wrongdoing and get away with it. We've left the barn door wide open just inviting trouble. I really don't understand that. These laws should have been vastly tightened up after Watergate, and really should have been better even before that.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

This story sounds so legit. I wonder who leaked it?

16. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Supposedly the logic was that what Ford actually did was by pardoning Nixon, he in fact got Nixon to admit guilt by accepting it.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/10/president_nixon_didnt_want_to.html

17. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Dunno for sure, but I heard it was one of the people working on Trump's hairdresser team.

18. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Also another "Ruh Roh"!

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/m...n-mark-corallo-resigns-report/article/2629306

Mark Corallo, a spokesman for President Trump's outside legal team, has resigned, according to multiple reports on Thursday.

John Santucci, a senior editorial producer, first reported the news and said that there is no word yet from Corallo himself. The Washington Post also reported Corallo's ouster.

Corallo has been putting out statements on behalf of Marc Kasowitz, Trump's personal lawyer who is representing the president in any matter concerning the investigations into Russian interference in the 2016 election and possible collusion with the Trump campaign.

Corallo, a former spokesman for the Justice Department, reportedly had been pushing back against any public criticism of Robert Mueller, who is the special counsel running the federal probe looking into Russian meddling. Mueller's investigation also reportedly may be checking whether Trump obstructed justice, and on Thursday Bloomberg reported that the probe is parsing through Trump's business dealings.

The Washington Post report says that Trump's legal team is exploring ways to undermine Mueller and is examining the scope of Trump's pardoning ability, including for himself.

It was reported earlier this month that Jamie Gorelick, an attorney for Jared Kushner, who is a top adviser and son-in-law to Trump, was dropping her responsibilities in defending Kushner on issues related to various Russia probes.

When your legal team starts bailing at critical junctures, it cannot be a good sign.

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Trump.

I guess one-word posts are illegal.

But. Trump. He puts it out there so we get used to it. You know, like "fake news".

20. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

21. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

When you've got practically an entire staff on the legal chopping block, and the president has shown loyalty is a one way street with him the possibilities are endless. The special prosecutor can go looking for anyone that isn't a family member or close aide because they know their new position in the staff is under a bus.

22. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

especially with trump since he does not always pay his legal bills.

23. HEK, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017

HEK Suspended

HEK

Don't be gone too long. This is starting to unravel at warp speed.

I was sure he wouldn't last four years. Then I thought two years tops. Now I thinks we may be down to months.

Wild ass prediction. He pardons his minions, his family, and himself and resigns blaming everyone but himself. Once the money laundering and rico fraud stuff starts being exposed, he outa there. Could be down to weeks.

24. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid