Trump attacks Muslim couple from the DNC convention

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wow. Just how low can Donald Trump get?

Typical Trump.

Omigod. Really?

And there you are. That's Trump. He can't rebut the argument, so he tries to undermine its power by suggesting it didn't come from Mr. Khan. And then he's got the effrontery to talk about himself and jobs, as if there was some kind of equivalency there.

Here's Trump showing he learned nothing from Mr. Khan's speech, although he does know how to (very crudely and obviously) spin the situation.

Wow. Just wow. He hasn't a clue what this sounds like.

And right there, 'nuff said. Trump just keeps digging himself in deeper with his flapping mouth, and the Khans keep looking better and better.

2. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

Not that I didn't think the speech was powerful.. but what argument against Trump that favors Clinton did he present?

3. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Trump should have just mentioned one name and left it at that - "Nidal Hassan"

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How would that be relevant?

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

At the convention, Khan told Muslim immigrants and all immigrants to take the upcoming election seriously. He evoked the memory of his son:

"This is a historic election and I request to honor the sacrifice of my son, and on Election Day, take the time to get out and vote and vote for the healer, vote for the strongest, most qualified candidate, Hillary Clinton, not the divider."

6. IronWaffle, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016

IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

I posted my thoughts yesterday. I don't think this is a "major issue" that will have much impact on Donald Trump's campaign. But it makes me wonder: aside from his most ardent supporters, what do other supporters think this may imply about how he will/would respond to their criticisms if he takes office and as always happens parts of his constituency feels he's turned his back on them. Do they think he will say, "they have no right to criticize me?"

Watching Trump's full interview this morning and reading a variety of commentaries I'm no less dismayed. I tried to find commentary at conservative bulwark Fox News but only found this brief summary. I don't dip my cranial toe into the worlds of Breitbart, TheDailyKos or other similar media that caters to the parties' arguable extremes so I have only my imagination to fill in their respective indignation.

I'm not sophisticated in the "twittersphere" but searching the pundits and Trump surrogates yielded very little of substance. Ann Coulter merely writes, "GO TRUMP" and links to Maureen Dowd's New York Times op-ed. From the right, the most substantial I could find was at The American Conservative, with which I'm admittedly not that familiar with and which had this to say:

The highlighted portion boils down what may be my biggest issue with Mr. Trump, keeping in mind that his "truthful hyperbole" makes it hard to know how much I believe he intends to pursue some of what I believe to be his most egregious policies. Measuring ones words is not synonymous with political correctness. This is no more troubling then in his winging comments about Russia and Putin.

Me, personally, I question whether Mr. Trump understands what people mean when they say "temperament" and "sacrifice." I'm not trying to imply that he doesn't understand the denotative definitions of these terms but I question that he has the ruminative interest to see why his understanding is being called into question. For someone so concerned about "political correctness" and who responds on a macro-level to "micro-agressions," his demands for apologies and his threats to no longer be "a nice guy" project an inability to appreciate the downside of to how he himself throws gas on these fires. Gleefully. To quote Mr. Trump: "sad."

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I loved the virtual bitch slap this father gave Trump with his copy of the constitution. Most important moment of this entire election season.

Trump said in an interview in response that he's "made sacrifices" and when pressed on the details claimed he's "created thousands of jobs."

What a ****ing utter piece of trash Trump is. Most unpatriotic and un-American presidential candidate ever.

"You have sacrificed NOTHING and NO ONE." - Khizr Kahn

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

yes trump made so many sacrifices all them money lost in his bankruptcies and failed businesses the horror the stress the sacrifice it is amazing. trump is such a hero.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

So now the conservatives have taken to criticizing Hillary for exploiting the Khans. Where would I find their criticism of Trump exploiting the Benghazi mother?

EDIT: Khan seems to understand politics quite well.

Khizr Khan to Ryan and McConnell: "There comes a time . . where an ethical, a moral stand has to be taken regardless of the political cost."

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

so now trump does not understand the word sacrifice. brilliant man that.

11. 617aircav Suspended

Trump should not have responded to this man. Just let it be Trump. The sons a hero but not the father.

12. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

Still don't think this is a great argument. More of an opinion.

This confused me the most. If this man was running for president, then this argument makes sense. But to try to contrast Trump to Clinton by using sacrifice makes no sense. Neither have sacrificed a thing. Especially nothing close to what Mr. Kahn has sacrificed.

13. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

he can't help himself has got to be the center of attention on everything

14. MacNut, Jul 31, 2016

MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

He really should be president of Russia.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I can't believe that the hell I just watch there. Clueless!

The man is unhinged.

[​IMG]

16. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I don't think the father was claiming to be a hero. He just pointed out the obvious flaws in Trumps ill thought out proposed policy on people who are Muslim. He simply added to the painfully long list of embarrassments with his response.

17. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Trump certainly needs better crafted responses but in the end, I see no real damage done.

He should have just acknowledged the loss of the mans son as something he nor even Hit liar y have experienced, thus neither have made that type of sacrifice. Offer his condolences and then just move on.

In the end, it's sad that a fellow soldier died, but this mans son is no better than my friends that have been lost in war. He came, he served and he died just the same.

Trump stance on immigration is still fine and better than what we have now. Open boarders and exposing ourselves and our people as we are is dangerous and that risk needs to be mitigated by better control of who we let inside our country.

18. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

You mean like carding Muslims spying on them? Ya can't see you seeing trumps bad side.

19. Roller macrumors 68020

I'm convinced that nothing that Donald Trump says or does will dissuade his supporters. The geopolitical ignorance that he displayed in the exchange you cited would derail any other campaign, but not his.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Trump is compulsive and fortunately not very crafty or calculating, nor does he consider how opening his big first might blow back on him, before he does it. Thanks Donald for this gift! :rolleyes:
    --- Post Merged, Jul 31, 2016 ---
    This is the eye opener, a national embarrassment as in who the hell ARE these people? You want truth? Trump said it himself, he could shoot someone in Time Square and it would not effect support from his followers. :oops:

21. citizenzen, Jul 31, 2016

citizenzen Suspended

That under Trump's ban on Muslims, His family would never have been allowed into the U.S., and their (and their son's) contributions to the benefit of this country would never have been realized.

They were there to demonstrate that Muslims are patriots and contributing members of society, not the evil that Trump portrays them to be.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 31, 2016 ---
    Still doesn't top, "I like people who weren't captured," in my opinion.

But Trump keeps cranking out the hits.

22. FieldingMellish Suspended

We heard the wrath of Khan that night.

The difference is that Khan did immigration the old fashioned way - legally - and Khan became American. That does not compare to what's been going on in Europe and in America.

23. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I don't understand your question. Trump has shown, once again, that he has zero empathy with his fellow human beings.

24. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Man, things are changing fast. The Democrats are now the hawkish pro-war party who won't hesitate to shove the Constitution in your face. Now if they can just figure out U.S. flag etiquette their reassignment will be complete.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

empathy, like Hillary's?