Trump authorizes Military to shoot at migrants who throw rocks

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Nov 1, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

Truly amazing.

https://splinternews.com/trump-announces-radical-new-assault-on-asylum-seekers-1830164109

Nearly half an hour into a rambling, low-energy press conference that seemed more like an understated stump speech rather than a policy event, President Donald Trump casually announced plans to launch a vicious assault on the United States’ current asylum process. He also threatened to massacre migrants if they so much as throw a rock.

“Asylum is not a program for those living in poverty,” Trump said.

Then he dropped his bombshell: A proposed change to America’s laws which would see ports of entry become the sole forum for migrants to apply for asylum, and deny claims of asylum from any undocumented immigrant caught within the United States. It would, in effect, throttle the asylum process to a crawl, while giving the government another excuse to detain—and subsequently deport—undocumented immigrants, regardless of their circumstances.

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'd like to see him do it. He'll get hauled off to The Hague for crimes against humanity and thrown in jail faster than he can pronounce his name.

BL.

5. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

This is a publicity stunt meant for the sheep and kool-aid drinkers to devour. There are a lot of them.

Trump is telling his base he doesn't care about the constitution and he lies, inflames, and uses rhetoric because it makes his base "like me more". He's telling you this, who's smart enough to listen? So much for those conservatives who are "strict constitutionalists" who are outraged over Trump admitting he doesn't think it applies to his presidential powers. Oh, sure, Paul Ryan mentioned it in a tempered tone, but he's on his way out. Are any people who want to stay in office going to call this guy out for being the moron he is?

I'm 100% for protecting the border. The left not wanting to protect the border is a gigantic lie, one that is used by the right. I think it's used poorly, but I have to lie to say its not effective. My issue is I put too much faith in the intelligence of the average American. Facts don't matter. Hispanics, both in numbers and relative to their overall population, are less likely to commit crimes than blacks and whites. Obama was incredibly strict on the south border. He wasn't a racist, however, so maybe that explains the lack of enthusiasm from some of the population on their disdain for the issue.

Rest assured, if conservatives lose the house, Trump will say it had absolutely nothing to do with him. In fact, if one of his primary opponents won, the liberals would have won the house, senate and impeached whoever was president. It was all on Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell, the caravan (that hasn't gotten here yet) who had a pickup Ford truck with 60 billion illegal aliens in the back who all voted illegally, and the unhinged left-wing mob who rioted and looted tens of millions of businesses on Election Day. We should all be lucky he was elected or things could have been worse... wait, no.. "..bad... very bad, believe me."

I would urge everyone - left, right and anyone in between - to not listen to people who use hand gestures to substitute for depth, substance and intelligence.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Tear gas and pepper spray are the traditional defenses against rock-throwing crowds. By authorizing lethal force against crowds that he damn well knows are going to contain children, Trump is showing us yet again that he has ambitions of being an outright dictator.

Which brings me to something I've wondered for quite a while now. If he gives the order -- and I think this definitely qualifies as an illegal one -- will the military obey? Or will they refuse to fire, denying his desire to commit murder by proxy?

8. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

So we should invade a foreign country?
    Rocks can be lethal. Lethal force for lethal force.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Depends on what the UCMJ says, in relation to the oath the servicemen take when receiving their commission. If the order goes against the regulations in the UCMJ and is against the Constitution (and by extension, applicable law), then the servicemen would be within their right to disobey the POTUS' order. It all depends, but I would rather have someone active military confirm this.

BL.

10. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I would like to think some rocks won't scare our soldiers into killing people.

If they even do so. I wouldn't be surprised if this was all made-up on the spot. He loves to do that, just throw **** out there and not caring. His base gives him a free pass on everything, he could take a diarrhea **** down the throat of every American and his base would believe he was delivering a cure for every disease known to man. It's quite bizarre. I always see intelligent and decent people who think this inept guy who sounds like a teenager giving a speech on a book he's never read is actually a smart man.

11. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I doubt the ROE would read “because POTUS says so”. There’s always something to the effect of you have the right to protect the life of yourself and others at the top of the ROE.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

It would however, come down to who gave the order. In this case it would have been Trump. Veil and shroud it in all the lingo one wants; the order would have come from Trump, and that's what would be the bottom line.

BL.

13. RootBeerMan, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018

RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

That's not how it works. The US military has fairly strict, legally mandated rules of engagement and Trump, even in his role as CiC, has no authority to change those rules. The military are not allowed to murder people for throwing rocks. Any soldier that does do it will find themselves in prison faster than they care to think about.

14. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Read what I said about the ROE. With what you quoted I’m stating a fact being hit with a thrown rock can be lethal.

15. vrDrew, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018

vrDrew macrumors 65816

A suggestion for my Democratic/Liberal/Progressive/Decent/Human friends:

Don't take Trump the Troll's bait. He is a sad pathetic old man, playing a silly game to boost his popularity amongst other pathetic old men. The US Army has very specific rules of engagement, and its infantry squad leaders have very detailed procedures on determining the appropriate response to threats, armed and otherwise.

Donald Trump has been trolling this country, and pretty much the entire planet, for three years now. Just walk away from his latest idiocy.

And vote!

16. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

So can wearing clothing. It can be taken off and used in a number of nefarious ways.

Seriously? Is there nothing Trump can say his base won't eat up? I'd have more respect for a statement of "don't cross the boarder illegally". The brave men and women in the military surely are not scared of a rock?

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I haven't, though it is hard to take anything Trump says with all true seriousness, because everything he says is either a lie or a damn lie (he isn't capable of statistics).

Already have. Early Voting makes the entire process better.

BL.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That I’ve already done.

19. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I was going to vote early, but I enjoy the polling places. Hoping to get to show some silent Trump supporters and Trump-complacent conservatives the door to their way back to the private sector.

20. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

I think he is following Israel’s role model. Shoot to kill at the border. Only here we have defined borders that were not stolen

21. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

The line to vote was actually shorter than the line at my barber shop. I went to get a haircut yesterday the wait was so long I walked over to the ( literally a little more than a football field away ) polling place, walked in & voted 5 minutes later. It was so pleasant, I can't imagine why more aren't doing early voting. At least here I can do without the hoops & obstacles others face in the country.

If you can, you should vote early.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2018 ---
    What's the real combat the military may face on the border? US citizens?

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-administration-migrant-caravan-border-troops-1196855
    Oh, and the military's views on 45's claims & plan?

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-administration-migrant-caravan-border-troops-1193694

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

A fair number of Native tribes, along with the entire state of Oklahoma would tend to disagree. ;)

BL.

23. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

While these troops will be deployed there, I really don't see them being armed, as they are forbidden by law from engaging in any law enforcement activities. If they cannot do that and they are not facing a foreign military or terrorist threat, then there is no reason for them to be armed. They haven't been before and I do not think that Trump realises that. The few times they have been down there and illegally acted they murdered an American citizen. We don't need that again. This is the crap that happens when you disobey the law.

24. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Let's be honest, this is the powder keg that some have wanted for so long. With unregulated militias down there, along with tossing out the idea that soldiers can retaliate from a single rock thrown. What are the chances a rock will be thrown? What are the chances you will know who REALLY threw that rock.

Who do you think is taking the blame for that lone rock of massive destruction?

This is a crap storm being set up.

25. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

taking cues from a certain ME country it seems. ..