Trump authorizes Military to shoot at migrants who throw rocks

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Again... the military are only allowed to participate for logistical support. The military firing on people at the border would be illegal. Just like all of 45's proposals this week designed to keep immigration in the news to influence the election.

To be clear, 45 is deploying military troops for purely political reasons. He is threatening to shoot people at the border for purely political reasons.
In self defense situations I think that would be allowed.
[doublepost=1541169015][/doublepost]
Oh don't be so hard on yourself. Especially since the conclusion reached isn't based on politics, but in reading your statements. I am sure plenty of conservatives would find the same semantic argument valid. But by all means - stoke THAT fire.
[doublepost=1541168789][/doublepost]

Also - these troops will be there over the holidays. Missing time with family. Why? The caravan is thousands of miles away. This is deflection away from the fact that Trump has failed miserably on his healthcare promise (among others) and needs a new "enemy" before mid terms. Poor and undernourished migrants seems valid... :rolleyes:
Missing holidays, birthdays and births are part of the job. I missed many of them on 6-8 month deployments.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
In self defense situations I think that would be allowed.
[doublepost=1541169015][/doublepost]

Missing holidays, birthdays and births are part of the job. I missed many of them on 6-8 month deployments.
And if it were over stupidity like this, I think it's shameful for you to have had to. Part of the job doesn't excuse the stupidity of it.
[doublepost=1541169177][/doublepost]
You want our military and LE to retreat if they are attacked on our border? Wow!
Retreat? Baldimac never said retreat.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
What kind of self defense situation are you talking about that couldn't be resolved by taking a few steps backwards? There is no reason for the military to be within rock throwing range of the border.
It all depends on the circumstances involved.

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
Retreat? Baldimac never said retreat.
What do you consider a few steps back to be? After those few steps and they advance and keep trowing, then what a few more steps back? Rinse, lather, repeat.. Eventually these few steps at a time end up being what exactly?

Stand ground and use the force needed to stop whatever it is they are doing. If it's firepower, so be it!

Reactions: mgguy

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
Please stop making up stuff to argue with. LEO's are legally allowed to engage in law enforcement activities at the border. The military are not. It's pretty simple once you drop the rhetoric.
Really? I suggest to learn a bit more 1st.. The military is being sent in a support role IF they are attacked they have every right to respond. If you do not know that, then educate yourself please.....

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
What do you consider a few steps back to be? After those few steps and they advance and keep trowing, then what a few more steps back? Rinse, lather, repeat.. Eventually these few steps at a time end up being what exactly?

Stand ground and use the force needed to stop whatever it is they are doing. If it's firepower, so be it!
You’re missing the larger point, which is that the military isn’t supposed to be there in the first place.

What ever happened to “extreme vetting”? Wasn’t that the plan? To aggressively determine who should come here using Homeland Security? Now we’re resorting to using troops to fire into crowds of migrants?

Sad.

BaldiMac

macrumors 604
Jan 24, 2008
Really? I suggest to learn a bit more 1st.. The military is being sent in a support role IF they are attacked they have every right to respond. If you do not know that, then educate yourself please.....
I'm well educated, thanks. I am certain the military is capable of avoiding rocks without resorting to lethal force and allowing border patrol to do their job.

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
You’re missing the larger point, which is that the military isn’t supposed to be there in the first place.

What ever happened to “extreme vetting”? Wasn’t that the plan? To aggressively determine who should come here using Homeland Security? Now we’re resorting to using troops to fire into crowds of migrants?

Sad.
I am missing nothing but am noticing the TDS.. Obama sent troops yet I see no difference here other than the left hyperventilating reaction to it...

Sad

RichardMZhlubb

Contributor
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
The only way that the military would be attacked is if someone in command decided to have them stand around at the border as potential targets after the so-called caravan arrived.

BaldiMac

macrumors 604
Jan 24, 2008
I am missing nothing but am noticing the TDS.. Obama sent troops yet I see no difference here other than the left hyperventilating reaction to it...

Sad
Bush and Obama sent troops. But you see no difference only because you choose not too see any difference. Both sent the national guard as temporary logistical support while border patrol staff were being increased.

They didn't send them as a political tool to influence the election.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
This is one thing that Trump does well - he manipulates the discussion. He throws out some provocative nonsense just to appeal to his ever more deplorable base and we all spend time debating and denouncing it. Then he jumps on that to show how the media are the enemy of the people and the "Dems" are for open borders because they don't go along with his latest proclamation. I don't recall any previous president being so intentionally divisive.

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
Because Trump.
And icky brown people, and racist and xenophobe and ..........

I do get a kick out of the liberal response though. It's a blast to read, watch and be entertained....

Storm the border? Be stoped by all means necessary.
Attack troops or LE? Use whatever force is needed to cease the attack, firepower included!
Walk up and calmly seek entry or asylum? Cool, follow the process...

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Bush and Obama sent troops. But you see no difference only because you choose not too see any difference. Both sent the national guard as temporary logistical support while border patrol staff were being increased.

They didn't send them as a political tool to influence the election.
And they sure as hell didn’t send them to fire on civilians.

But like @raqball says, “Muh Obama did it too!!” Because Trump’s presidency has been built on the example that Obama set for him. :rolleyes:

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
The only thing entertaining in this is watching Trump play a game to see just how low his base can be dragged down into absurdity. Looks like it’s quite a way... Where is that 10% tax cut that was going happen before the midterms?

Reactions: BeeGood

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
Reactions: mgguy

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
The only way that the military would be attacked is if someone in command decided to have them stand around at the border as potential targets after the so-called caravan arrived.
Not only is it a pretty weak argument, its also a pretty weak reason why immigrants should start attacking them.

Reactions: raqball

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Oh you mean the deporter in chief Obama? Where was the liberal outrage? Obama hated Icky brown people was a racist and an xenophobe!
If Obama was so great at shipping illegals away, why do Trump and his groupies always attack him over his immigration record?

How about you just pick one false narrative and try sticking to that?

Last edited: