Trump Bans Entry of Syrian Refugees and Immigrants from 7 Muslim Countries

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zedcars, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Zedcars, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017

Zedcars macrumors 6502

Zedcars

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Been reading experiences from Muslims who can't get into the country now. What a mess this is, playing right into terrorists hands.

I hope people who campaigned against gay cakes are up in arms over this too. Religious freedoms and all that.

3. RedOrchestra Suspended

Stay calm . this is a 120-day temporary halt to allow a complete review of immigration vetting procedures.

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

From the link:

Because, of course, Donald Trump has extensive business ties to countries that weren't on his list.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah I think banning the Saudis would be a good idea.

6. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

This is very embarrassing for the United States. Banning certain countries except the ones that have actually produced terrorists that have committed terrorism on US soil.

I'm sure this type of moronic order gets plenty of support from the hicks though.

7. Zedcars thread starter macrumors 6502

Zedcars

Yeah, tell that to the people fleeing for their lives!

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

All of the counties on his list have produced terrorist I'm sure. If he had included SA the left would be up in arms about him ruining alliances.

This also isn't a ban it's a moratorium until he can review the policies of vetting, something that may have saved lives in the EU.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 28, 2017 ---
    It was reported before that he was planning alternative refugee camps in their own country or neighbouring, not sure if this was dropped.

Christians have also been given priority.

9. RedOrchestra Suspended

Yeah, I saw first hand, all those young studs who fled for their lives, standing outside the Stockholm railway station smoking and tinkering on their smartphones ... yeah, they sure looked rattled and desperate.

Yet another PRSI thread trying to make something, where there is nothing ... the same crowd that is up in arms about fake news . sheesh.

10. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I couldn't give a toss about the left, that's their problem.

Meanwhile all other countries are taking Americas share of refugees. These people can't just float around in the sea while America and it's newly appointed reality TV star ignore the problem and shake hands with countries that do fund Isis.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Also I see a bunch of news about how this discriminates against Muslims, which is weird, because this Islamic terrorism problem by definition would need to discriminate, why would you look at non Islamic followers for an Islamic terrorist?

12. RedOrchestra Suspended

"President Obama's campaign to ease Europe's refugee pressure resulted in over 18,000 Syrians, more than half adults, coming into the United States, according to a new report.

Thanks to the administration's success in speeding up the refugee resettlement process before the president leaves office, the U.S. welcomed 18,007 Syrians from between October 1, 2011 and December 31, 2016. A majority came in last year."

That Obama was all open arms, huh? Canada took in 35,000 Syrian refugees in 2016, alone.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Get the middle eastern countries neighbouring them to take the refugees, we send them enough money to do so already.
    Liberals have been trying to suck up to the EU since Trudeau was elected, taking in refugees without proper vetting was Trudeau's way of showing off. I'm sure we will pay for it eventually like the Germans.

14. RedOrchestra Suspended

And what's Great Britain's response been to this "crisis"

"The UK and other wealthy nations have resettled less than 2% of Syrian refugees escaping the bloody conflict, falling far short of their “fair share”, according to Oxfam.

Britain has so far pledged to take on less than a quarter of its fair quota, a figure calculated by the size of the economy, said the charity as it described the figures as “shocking”."

15. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

You haven't taken anywhere near as many as you should then. How many terrorist attacks has Canada had in the last 6 years with over double the intake of the US? The UK have taken their share and have a higher Muslim population than the US. I think this is deflection by Trump to get the media away from reporting the more violent issues.
    Saudi Arabia which is where most of the funding from Islamic State comes from also pumps tens of billions of dollars into the US economy. Is it really refugees America is terrified of?

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

When my grandfather fled his nazi captors in Italy, who had already killed members of his family, and managed to make his way to England, the first thing he did was go dancing.
    When they shelled my great-grandparents house whilst they were at church, they lost everything except their clothes and possessions on their persons, they looked no different the next day. They were just minus a home to live in, in an occupied area.
    A friend in Palestine who had his house taken from him filled a backpack with items including an android tablet. Maybe he should have left that behind too for some reason.

Is there a behaviour refugees need to adopt? Maybe these war torn folk need to be given a leaflet on this as to appeal to privileged natives.

17. Zedcars thread starter macrumors 6502

Zedcars

I agree. Britain isn't doing enough. But you may blame some of that on the damage caused in the wake of pro Brexit propaganda from the likes of Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson. The former stirred up a hornets nest of xenophobic hatred with his disgusting poster campaign:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-ukip-breaking-point-poster-queue-of-migrants

[​IMG]

But that seems to pail into insignificance when you look at what Trump is now doing.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

It's the Islamic terrorists within their ranks I would assume and there not being proper vetting channels, ISIS has already said they would be attempting to infiltrate refugee groups.
    Becoming more secular would help, we have enough religious nuts in NA already.

19. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Easy solution, pick another country, perhaps one on that half of the world, which makes more sense.
    Safe zones over there are the solution.

20. RedOrchestra Suspended

The Obama administration took in 18,000 Syrians from 2011-2016 . and you're blaming Trump?

Oxfam says GB is among the worst of the worst of 1st world nations, when it comes to the Syrian refugee crisis.

21. zin macrumors 6502

This should be expanded to Saudi Arabia and he should go a step further by preventing all arms exports to the country.

David Cameron was an unlikeable prude but one of the things he did right was to resist all of these calls to allow floods of migrants into the UK. Angela Merkel made a grave error of judgement.

22. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

what's this fair share bs? there's plenty of countries over in their region that need to save them and put up the safe zones. no need to fly them 1/2 around the world to a completely different country and culture when they likely would rather live in a country of their own culture. I think there are plenty of Muslim nations around the world that make a much better fit.

The US is in a crisis of it's own and can't even effectively provide healthcare and shelter to our own people in need. It's time we focus on OUR OWN PEOPLE FIRST for once. Time for the those Islamic nations to step up and take care of their own people.

23. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Obama almost exclusively let in Muslim refugees and allowed very few christians to come in (about 1%). He's just balancing the numbers to make it fair, I know outlet lefty friends appreciate fairness.

Personally, I saw shut down immigration completely. Everyone. We don't. See more people here. Donzo.

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I'd like to see more immigration, but of highly skilled people.

25. RedOrchestra Suspended

Couldn't agree more, as I wrote in an earlier thread

"In Canada, we took in 35,000 Syrian refugees last year with almost zero knowledge of the English language, no apparent skill set, even the Minister of Immigration was surprised or confused about the high number of children. Many, if not all, of these families, entered on 1 year church/other entity sponsorship arrangements. Those 1-year sponsorship deals will start lapsing and the unemployable refugees will become wards of the federal/provincial/ municipal taxpayers. Net benefit to Canada ??? Oh yeah, we're supposedly feeling good about ourselves and pointing fingers."