Trump Bans EPA Employees from Giving Social Media Updates

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jan 24, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

from link.
    where is the problem?

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Why single out the EPA?

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

your own link states that other agencies are doing the same already w/o trumps input. NOW I will be more than happy to say that Trump should lead by example & not use social media for anything :p but since I like him giving the MSM the middle finger then I wont.......... :mad:

5. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

You realize that his tweets aren't just about giving MSM the middle finger. It's to present alternative reality.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

reality is over rated, I am not short fat bald & ugly, I'm not I'm not I'm not I'm not I'm not I'm not I'm not I'm not I'm not I'm not I'm not I'm not I'm not I'm not I'm not I'm not I'm not .
    there, I feel better already :D

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

8. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Oh - and you realize you quoted something out of context? Let me help...

Department of Agriculture instituted a similar ban....

That's not the EPA.

9. RedOrchestra Suspended

Nope, not at all ... there's a new sheriff in town and he'll be governing in the way the people of the US elected him too ... and that includes reigning in government workers going rogue.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, I think the verb you used "reigning in" is more apposite that you realise; certainly, given Mr Trumps's bullying, controlling, grandiose, narcissistic, and thin-skinned character, it reads a lot more accurately than "reining in" might sound in the circumstances.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Trump is the only government worker going rouge at this point.

12. RedOrchestra Suspended

President Trump was elected by the people to do a job ... government laggards are hired to work for the government of the day and NOT for themselves.

If those same laggards don't like the way the current administration is running the government, for the people, THEY are free to hand in their resignations and move on.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The people did not elect Trump the electoral college did. Why will you not let those details sink in.

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Which is exactly why many people voted for him. They wanted a president to shake things up, upset the status quo, and refuse to accept "Well, that's how we've always done it." Judging by the people he's pissing off (Hollywood liberals) and the people praising him (blue-collar workers), I suspect he is doing alright.

15. RedOrchestra Suspended

And it was the people's votes that comprised the electoral college.

Look if you don't like the current US voting system protest for change ... as it stands the President is duly elected by the electoral college since whenever.

16. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

He shut down the EPA twitter accounts so when those pipelines spring a leak you can't be warned about it.

sorry...

/s

17. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

They're just trying to organize the communication strategy, it's nothing abnormal. Quite important in this day and age where a tweet can cause quite a stir and at times even dictate policy. Other agencies probably received similar orders.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 24, 2017 ---
    Would you seriously rely on the government to get this type of information???? :eek::eek::eek:

18. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

The irony ;)

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Not that I like Trump's tweets, but his administration is the one dictating policy, not the agencies. It's not really an irony...

20. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Now it might not be. What about the weeks prior to him taking office?

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I am not sure I understand the question (headache :( ).
    Most of Trump's tweets are awful, I do wish that someone steals his phone, smashing it a-la Hillary Clinton/Huma Abedin all while Congress passes a Constitutional amendment that forbids the POTUS from buying a new smartphone.

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Do the people really want him to govern all cray cray? The man is bat s$&t crazy with his inadequacy issues and claims of voter fraud all because he cannot accept that more people voted for a women then him.

23. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

My point was that Trump was trying to dictate policy and/or influence it before he was in office via tweeting. And causing a stir while doing it.

24. Scepticalscribe, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

At this stage, I would have two concerns about this.

The first is that it strikes me as somewhat - even - excessively controlling. Press releases and information campaigns are a normal part of the work of every government agency, and central authority should not have to sign off on such things.

And the second - arising partly out of the first, - is that such internal communication as there is, needs to be a two way street.

This means that the agencies need to be able to communicate what they know, in order to advise, to inform, offer opinions, and make recommendations - upwards, - and that includes the old "speaking truth to power". We all know that Mr Trump holds "experts" and 'expert advice' in low esteem; this seems to be to be setting in place structures to ensure that he will never hear it or get to avail of it.

Such opinions can be disregarded, but it is a foolish CEO who seeks to silence them completely, or refuses to allow channels where such communication can safely take place, and where advisors can speak freely without fear of reprimand, or retribution. Even Niccolo Machiavelli (much maligned, often unfairly, to my mind) argued for allowing advisors to be able to speak their minds (to princes) freely.

This move - so early and so apparently comprehensive - strikes me as an attempt to shut off, and strangle the information flow both upwards (towards executive authority) - and outwards (towards the public) - by replacing it with a form of communication - lines of communication - that only travels in a downwards and descending direction, with a view to transmitting orders and commands that brook no disagreement or debate.

Indeed, @samcraig may well be right; this this silencing of official sources may be a precursor to trying to create parallels which represent an alternative reality.

25. RedOrchestra Suspended

In California ONLY but luckily, for the rest of America, the Electoral College decides the day.