Trump basically says he’d take dirt on an opponent from a foreign government

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I’m sure the White House comms staff is loving this interview. :oops:

2. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Is it against the law if he reported the information (dirt) to the FBI?

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

4. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Didn’t Hillary, you know the one that a lot of Trump haters in PRSI that voted for her, do it already? Cough* Russian dossier Cough*

5. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

So that’s the standard now? Anyway I know Trump loves to dominate the news cycle but I’m not sure this is going to help him in 2020
    --- Post Merged, Jun 12, 2019 ---
    She used the Steele dossier during the 2016 campaign? It’s still kind of amazing to me how all these people were supposedly trying to take Trump down yet hardly any of this stuff came out prior to the election. The only somewhat damaging thing to come out was the Access Hollywood tape which was quickly overshadowed by the FBI announcing they were re-opening the Clinton email investigation.

6. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Add Ukraine to that cough.

7. Cycom Suspended

Cycom

djt talking out his culo once again. But it’s trump so....scream helplessly at the sky!

8. appleisking macrumors 6502a

We all as a nation should just ignore trump for one day. He’d leave voluntarily after that.

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Could he be talking about those foreign nations who hacked into the Bathroom Server?

10. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Sad thing is I’m seeing a lot of people on the right giddy about his comments. Because in the age of Trump the only thing that matters to them is if someone they don’t like was triggered in some way. But if you watch the interview Trump wasn’t saying this with a wink and a nod. This wasn’t a “boy I’ll really have their heads spinning now” comment. This was Trump being honest. If the Ukraine gives him dirt on Biden he’ll take it and use it.

11. NT1440, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019

NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Sucks to be them, but let’s be real.

Reagan did it (used stolen campaign prep documents that were given to the campaign), his legacy is still lauded by even the likes of Obama. One thing people need to get out of their heads is that American politics (if we’re actually looking to deal with Trump) are the fluffy respectable West Wing styled honorable institutions. They’re not, nothing is new about the current moron in office in that regard so we can stop the pearl clutching over this absolutely stupid story.

12. mudslag, Jun 12, 2019

mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

He is the POTUS making these comments, so yes it should be pointed out and discussed. It's a bit ironic given all the supporters screaming about how he didn't collude for him to turn around and say he'ed be open to colluding.

[​IMG]

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Billar and the DNC actually paid for the steelecdossier from foreign agents

14. mudslag, Jun 12, 2019

mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

1. That info wasn't used by them
    2. That info was put together by a US based company
    3. A RNC group started it before Clinton/DNC jumped in

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

3. Exactly. Hillary and the dnc still paid for it.

16. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

And that disputes what I said how? So they paid for it, they weren't the only ones nor did they use said info.

jkcerda, does it not bother you that Trump who just was cleared of collusion is now openly saying that he is willing to collude? This is the same guy who has already openly asked foreign help from the same country that has already interfered in our elections. Or do you not care about these things and it's just about party lines for you?

17. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Even Laura Ingraham can’t defend it.

Ingraham tonight said, “Setting aside the question of why you would have George Stephanopoulos standing over the president in the Oval Office––I don’t know who approved that––what about this notion of accepting foreign Intel about an opponent? Is that a risk for President Trump, getting pulled back into Mueller? Again, why he was put in that situation is beyond me.”
    https://www.mediaite.com/trump/laur...n-is-beyond-me/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Going after Stephanopoulos though is a bit much. Anyone would have asked that question which is why a real Chief of Staff and Comms shop would never have let the interview happen.

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I wanted Stephanopoulos to ask Trump if he'd be okay with it if Biden (or another Democratic candidate) accepted opposition research about Trump from, say China. Or what if France or Canada decided to help Democrats get elected by buying Facebook ads? Would Trump be okay with that?

Why can't journalists ask better questions?

19. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Putting the prospect of winning a political campaign in part due to dirt provided by a foreign government is absolutely despicable and indicates his willingness to put his personal goals over the unity and security of the country. But depending who you ask that concept nothing new with Trump.

That said, politics is a dirty game and knowing how narcissistic and success motivated politicians are I have trouble believing many politicians wouldn’t accept free dirt on their contender. Or if they did report it to the FBI it wouldn’t be before they get the dirt and independently verify whatever information they were given.

Trump is just brazen enough to admit he’d take the information- which is ironic considering his objections and theories about the Steele Dossier. Perhaps this just his is his way of intimidating any 2020 contenders... granted I’m not sure if he’s that calculated when it comes to what he says.

20. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Sounds like what Someone dug up on Omar recently. Look for dirt digging to smear opponents this year.

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't understand the comparison you are making.

What exactly sounds like the dirt someone dug up on Omar?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2019 at 1:27 AM ---
    That... is actually a really interesting question. I mean, if the information is that your opponent is doing something illegal, and you report that to the FBI, would anyone care what the source of your information is?

Like, if Hillary had really done something illegal, and Trump managed to prove that with information that Russia stole by hacking the DNC server, then...

The Russians would have committed a crime, by hacking the server. Hillary would be guilty of whatever crime it was the Russians discovered. But it seems to me that Trump would then be a Good Samaritan, exposing the nefarious doings of both Hillary and Russia.

The problem, of course, is Trump didn't call the FBI. No, Russia leaked the emails they stole through Wikileaks. And Trump welcomed those leaks.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yes.

Good god.

23. blackfox Suspended

blackfox

Slightly confused here...am I to take it that Trump just doesn't have the sophistication to hide such things?

24. samcraig macrumors P6

So your point is that it's better to get information for free vs paying for it? That's the difference to you in this instance?

25. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Wait for it folks... there is a reason Trump did this.

I know everyone thinks Trump is just winging it and has no clue what he’s doing... how everyone thinks the historic low unemployment and strong economy only happened because Trump is riding a lucky streak.

However, he does stuff like this with a purpose in mind.
    I’m still thinking this might be about foreign nations hacking the Bathroom Server.

I suspect he already knows what’s on the server and it’s not yoga.
    This is how he gets the MSM talking about something before they even know what he’s talking about.

He’s set them up before... remember when he was going to do the Obama Birther announcement.

The MSM literally cried how he tricked them into sitting through praising the Veterans when instead they wanted and expected birther gossip.

This could be one of those times... where he puts the story right on the front page before they even know what the story is.