Trump: Brexit? What's that?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Robisan, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Robisan macrumors 6502

Here's international business expert Donald Trump demonstrating he's ready to be leader of the free world on day one:

Donald Trump Appears Unfamiliar With Term 'Brexit'

In an interview published Wednesday in the Hollywood Reporter, Donald Trump seemed unaware of the term "Brexit," which is a portmanteau of Britain and exit used to describe Great Britain leaving the European Union. The country is schedule to hold a referendum on leaving the EU June 23.

During a discussion on pockets of anti-immigrant beliefs in Europe, interviewer Michael Wolff asked Trump, "And Brexit? Your position?"

"Huh?" Trump asked in response, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

"Brexit," Wolff then repeated.

"Hmm," Trump reportedly replied.

Wolff then explained that he was asking about the potential for Britian to leave the European Union.​

2. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Oh, it's about Europe.

As a famous wit once said "Europe is the size of the Eastwood Mall."

Why should Americans care about what Britain does if, as, and when they come to their senses and drop out of the EU?

It's just more evidence of sleazy reportage from the Democrat-coddling MSM.

3. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Yeah why should someone running for POTUS care about what happens anywhere else in the world.......

4. Robisan thread starter macrumors 6502

Head, meet sand.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Being ignorant of something that (1) could provoke a worldwide economic downturn, (2) weaken NATO, (3) increase the probability of instability (and even conflict) in Europe, and (4) change the international standing of perhaps the USA's strongest ally, is no trivial detail.

The UK is the world's 5th largest economy, and collectively the GDP of the EU is nearly equal to, or slightly greater than (depending on which source you cite), that of the US.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Yeah. Europe. That little backwater that plays host to our greatest allies, home to some of the strongest economies in the entire world, and who's health and wellbeing is directly tied to ours. Why should our president be expected to know about the political goings-on over there?

Ignorance is strength!

7. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

They pulling out of the EU along with pulling their heads out of sand, so better late than never.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Why didn't Wolf just say, "What do you think about the British exiting the European Union."?

Isn't Brexit something you have with gravy?

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Hell, I've read, maybe, two articles at most on the issue, and even I know what Brexit is.

10. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

It's a European problem, let them solve it. They're always telling America to mind our own business. Let 'em fix something themselves for once without crying for us.

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

And if that solution is that Europe moves away from the US, or chaos erupts, then you and Trump don't mind? Well, isolationist is as short-sighted-self-defeating-selfish does.

12. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Let Europe move away from the US. They've made a complete hash of it twice in the last century, this time we might decide to let them go to hell on their own. Maybe if they'd been paying their fair share instead of relying on the US to do the heavy lifting we'd be more sympathetic. C'est la vie, mon'ami.

13. Robisan thread starter macrumors 6502

Why use six words when one word conveys the same meaning?

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well you have a point, I only know what it is because of the PRSI. And I've never hear of "brexit" spoken aloud.
    I still think this has a little "gotcha" to it.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Amazing how you'll excuse the dolt you support for PResident. They guy knows **** about the country and the world.

16. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

So I guess you were mortified when Obama said there were 57 states in the good ol' US of A. More bipartisanship!

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Mortified, nah. Was good for a few yucks though. Are you unable to tell the difference between misspeaking and ignorance. That's a rhetorical question. It means it doesn't require an answer.

18. Robisan thread starter macrumors 6502

They share that kinship. Trump is the embodiment of that demographic.

19. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

You don't know it was misspeaking. He probably just didn't know. I mean, his wife isn't proud of this country, and his preacher wasn't proud of this country. For all we know, Obama spent his years in school smoking spliffs rather than listening in civics classes.

20. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well maybe it does. But isn't that kind of the point of having journalist interview candidates for any political office?

If someone is running for your local school board, is it somehow unfair or a "gotcha" question to ask that person what they feel about issues such as Common Core or School Choice?

Understanding such terms and acronyms suggests that the candidate has at least passing familiarity with some of the important issues facing School Boards.

In the case of Donald Trump, he has made renegotiation of international trade treaties a cornerstone of his campaign. His platform suggests the United States follow a path of economic autarky. And yet he seems totally unaware of the existence of the European Union, possibly one of the most significant economic trading blocs in the world, and the potential exit of Great Britain (a country Trump himself has travelled to, and has extensive business operations in) from that agreement.

21. jerwin macrumors 65816

You must be one of those frightful neoconservatives everyone's talking about.

22. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

During a discussion on pockets of anti-immigrant beliefs in Europe, interviewer Michael Wolff asked Trump, "And Brexit? Your position?"

"Huh?" Trump asked in response, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

"Brexit," Wolff then repeated.

"Hmm," Trump reportedly replied.

Wolff then explained that he was asking about the potential for Britian to leave the European Union.

"Oh yeah, I think they should leave," Trump then replied, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Trump said in March that he thought Britain should leave the EU.

"I think they (Britain) may leave the EU, yes, they're having a lot of problems," he said, according to The Telegraph. "I don't want to make a comment about the UK leaving but I think they may leave based on - I'm there a lot, I have a lot of investments in the UK and I will tell you that I think they may leave based on everything I'm hearing."

Trump will travel to Great Britain to attend the reopening of his golf course in Scotland the day following the UK's referendum on staying in the European Union.

So what is the consensus of the PRSI on Brexit anyway. Do we want Britain out or in?

23. FieldingMellish Suspended

I see your Trump Faux pas, and I'll raise you 10 Obama faux pas.

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Isn't CNN a part of the MSM? It's so convenient how you all gnash your teeth whenever one of our cheesy 24 hour news channels says something negative about someone you like, but happily use them the moment they swing something in your favor.

I guess the whole MSM argument is situational, huh?

25. DUCKofD3ATH, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016

DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

You think CNN put that video together to be fair? Then why didn't they include "London aghast at President Obama over gifts given to Prime Minister Brown" or "Obama gives Queen Elizabeth an iPod" full of his speeches? That's just his colossal faux pas with the Brits.