Trump Brings Up the Birther Argument Again

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by APlotdevice, Jan 6, 2016.

1. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Though this time he's targeting Cruz:

Full story: http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/05/politics/donald-trump-ted-cruz-eligibility/

I think it's safe to say that Trump sees him as a credible threat.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Every day I say he can't be any more of a douchebag and every day he proves me wrong.

3. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Never really got that whole eligibility-problem cos AFAIK both Cruz and Obama have parent being US citizen at their birth making them citizen themselves (hence "natural born citizen").

4. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Remember when Trump "had a team on the ground with some very interesting findings" on Obama's birth certificate? We all know how well that worked out. Not a Cruz fan but his birth was completely legal, Trump just has no ability to tackle his opponents on policy because he simply doesn't understand them. Bully tactics is all he knows.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

As were George Romney and John McCain. The whole birther thing was nonsense.

6. sim667 macrumors 65816

Its funny that Trump considers himself more American than anyone else when it suits him, but when he gets his scottish degree revoked his statements play on how scottish he is.

This man is an embarrassment to the US.

7. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Trump is proud of that. Being a bully is part of his appeal.

If you took it at face value, you missed Trump's point regarding Obama's ethnic origins. His point has always been racial identity politics.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/06/b...-hostilities-return-to-american-politics.html

It worked out quite well for Trump, actually.

Completely, totally, beside the point.

Trump is smarter than you think. He wants to sew up the angry white male vote and then broaden his appeal just enough to win.

Was it? Angry white men support Trump. Being factually correct was never the point.

He does seem surprised that his brand doesn't do as well in Scotland as it does in Appalachia.

Sure, but, I could say the same about Le Pen and a bunch of others. This is a widespread problem and it could happen anywhere.

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

It may be nonsense but it's something that polls show a percentage of republicans still believe. Trump is just looking at what positions poll well and going with those, whether he believes any of what comes out of his mouth is another question.

9. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

We're talking about a party where 29% blamed Obama for Hurricane Katrina's response and 28% blamed Bush, three years before Obama took office.

10. unlinked, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016

unlinked macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure that isn't true. There are additional residence requirements that the parent must meet.

11. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

And let me guess, Barack's mother meets them all.....

12. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

That would be correct:
    Ann Dunham
    Barack Obama's mother
    Born: November 29, 1942, Wichita, KS
    Died: November 7, 1995, Honolulu, HI
    Nationality: American

13. unlinked macrumors 6502a

You seem to have gotten lost and ended up in a thread about Ted Cruz.

14. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Feel free to tell me if Mr Cruz mother somehow fails that same test....

Otherwise my point (that birth outside of the US does not matter in both cases) still stands.

15. unlinked macrumors 6502a

You said "Cruz and Obama have parent being US citizen at their birth making them citizen themselves". That is factually wrong in that there are additional requirements beyond that. Having a US citizen as a parent is neither necessary nor sufficient to be born a US citizen. Saying that is factually wrong is not the same as saying either is not a US citizen.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Nope. As much as I hate Ted Cruz and the thought of him being president scares the **** out of me, he's eligible to be president despite him being born in Canada.

There are a million reasons why he shouldn't ever set foot near the Oval Office. His place of birth isn't one of them.

17. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Let's start with naming Steve King his national campaign chair.

19. chown33 macrumors 604

Nah, I think it's safe to say that Trump hasn't said anything recently that gets him free news coverage.

In other words, this is just another well-timed dead cat being flung on the table. He's probably got a whole closet full of 'em he can fling out at any time.

20. Roric macrumors regular

Ted's mother is a US citizen born in Delaware. She graduated from a college in Texas before Ted was born.
    The requirements for a child born overseas to married parents where one is a citizen is that the parent lived in the US for at least 5 years of which at least 2 were after her 14th birthday. I think it is safe to say the mother meets this requirement.

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Another dead cat on the table.

22. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Some other sources say both parents have to be citizens or one does and the other has to be a US national.

23. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

The only reliable sources for these arguments are gov sites.

http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-parents

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...s-policies/citizenship-child-born-abroad.html

Both of those sites pull the information from the INA (Immigration and Nationality Act)

http://www.uscis.gov/iframe/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/act.html

I looked at this stuff quite a bit because two of my children were born in Germany.

24. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

If your kids every run for president, I hope they aren't challenged by Donald Trump. Just imagine the material.

25. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Pretty sure the interviewer asked Trump a question about Cruz regarding his citizenship. That's different than Trump bring it up on his own simply to trash the guy.