Trump Broadens CIA Powers, Allows Deadly Drone Strikes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Mar 17, 2017.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm guessing you'll hear something about but but but indefinite detention, but but but Hillary rigged it, but but but the Democrats didn't say anything when Obama did something vaguely similar but actually quite different. Anything to deflect from what their guy does.

3. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I was waiting for your reply. Pretty much the answer I was expecting though I was hoping for a bit deeper of a reply. Too bad some other posters aren't here anymore. I'd really like to know what Arronvan and that other guy that used to have all the conspiracy theories thinks about this.

And there are probably all sorts of things going on that we don't even know about. Things that will haunt the country for years, if not decades. We never learn. :(

4. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

CIA should NOT have those powers , hope the courts step in
    --- Post Merged, Mar 17, 2017 ---
    He needs to be impeached ASAP. buck stops with HIM

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

We will have a conservative majority on the Supreme Court well before it makes its way that far if it is challenged (it would be hard to see who would have standing to challenge it in the first place) so it won't matter. The Republicans created this, now we all have to live with it.

6. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

It's up to the democrats to block the nominees like the republicans did before them

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

And if you are wanting them to do that then I hope you voted for them. But somehow I doubt it.

8. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

9. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Do you really think once they have that power they won't? I hope not but my reading of recent history makes me pessimistic.

10. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

What if said ISIS -an absurd simplification btw, as there are many, many other threats- also happen to be US citizens?

11. unlinked macrumors 6502a

So back to the way it was for most of the Obama presidency until it was changed in 2013.

For context, it seems there were 10 times as many drone strikes under Obama as Bush.

12. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Ask Obama. I think he Jill's some American terrorists with drones.

13. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

While I don't agree with many drone uses, one thing drones allow is to avoid US military deaths (that is, except by heat stroke if the AC in the containers back in Nevada fails).

Regarding your other point, there were also more drone strikes under Obama than under Nixon. Technology improved a lot between 2001 and 2016, it's hard to compare.

14. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Courts and congress need to check the president's expansion of powers. They haven't been doing that for years.

15. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

I'm asking you:
    The CIA will now kill with drones. Are you ok with them killing american terrorists?

16. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Apples/oranges

17. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I'm really failing to understand why an organization, who's primary objective is to gather intelligence, needs the ability to launch ordinance in foreign countries.

Fantastic. Now we're going to have two completely separate parts of the government (Pentagon and CIA) carrying out offensive military operations without needing to coordinate with each other. What could possibly go wrong? :eek:

18. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I'm unsure. Americans can still be listed as "wanted. Dead or alive". Is that any different?

19. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Maybe the CIA will use this new power to use a drone to surveil Trump.

20. Rhonindk, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017

Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Someone clarify what the big issue is? Obama restricted the drone strikes to the Pentagon in an effort to promote transparency which it failed to show that anything was actually accomplished. What he effectively did is insert a middleman into these time sensitive operations.

The CIA is the only agency authorized by law to carry out and oversee covert action at the behest of the President, unless the President determines that another agency is better suited for carrying out such action.

As a reminder:
    Legally, the CIA operates only outside the United States--they are, by law, forbidden from conducting domestic investigations. On the contrary CIA never operates inside US. That part of the work is handled by FBI's counterintelligence division. CIAoperates outside of US soil.

21. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Since when has the CIA given a toss about "legally"?

22. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Can we say "limb"? If they are terrorists and not on domestic soil ... tfb.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 18, 2017 ---
    Lets roll out some facts on that if you would. Conspiracy Theory is fun however not relevant.
    CIA - International
    FBI - Domestic
    --- Post Merged, Mar 18, 2017 ---
    HUMINT is just one of many departments within the CIA.
    • The Directorate of Digital Innovation
    • The Directorate of Analysis
    • The Directorate of Operations
    • The Directorate of Support
    • The Directorate of Science and Technology
    Paramilitary, Cyber Ops, Counter Terrorism, Extreme Rendition, WMD Nonproliferation, are just a few of their activities.
    Since 9/11, under Bush and Obama, they have become the largest of all of our IC agencies.

23. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Understood, but none of those groups (before now) had the ability to do much beyond covert special operations. Now, they have the ability to carry out a full-on armed conflict just like the military...except all they need is for the President to tell them to (not even issue an EO). It's a little unsettling, particularly given the temperament of guy we have in the Oval Office right now.

24. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

One aspect to keep in mind: all Trump did with this is remove a restriction Obama added in during his Presidency. This was previously allowed.