Trump called Roseanne Barr after successful series premiere

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, Mar 29, 2018.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

So this happened... after one of his biggest supporters had a premier with over 18 million viewers.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Of course he did

Didn't call AC though to congratulate him on ratings :/

3. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

No but he did brag about 60 minutes ratings, bet he never thought this would come back at him.

[​IMG]

4. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I'm not trying to be rude when I ask this, but exactly what kind of conversation is this thread meant to spark?

5. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

The fact that anytime trump is complimented or praised he gushes over it like a schoolgirl

6. samcraig macrumors P6

There are many people who liked/watched the original series. But since then, and because of Roseanne's opinions about Trump and the direction of the reboot find the show controversial now. So just like with any other thread - I suspect the conversation in this thread will be about the topic of Roseanne and Trump. You could easily ask your question about most threads here. Why single this one out?

7. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I guess I was missing the controversial part. What is controversial about it?

8. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

The fact that there are families of dead servicemen who have given their lives for this country that he hasn't called but is happy to call a wigged out nutjob like Roseanne, for starters. He's a despicable human being in pretty much every way IMO, I get that may not be everyone else's but it's mine and there's no question it's a conversation starter.

9. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

The acteess has expressed a social or political opinion that’s right of Lenin? That passes for controversy nowadays.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 29, 2018 ---
    Wow, it must be really tough to live in a permanently triggered state since November 9th 2016. You should really be careful, stress can do a number on your body.

10. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

If he still hasn't called or written letters to those people then I agree he should definitely get on that, although at this point it is probably too late if he hasn't.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

Why do you assume he's triggered. Is not likely or respecting someone "triggered" these days?

12. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Have you ever stopped to think that maybe, just maybe he couldn’t find them on Twitter and thus had no way to send his condolences?

13. samcraig macrumors P6

I explained why. Roseanne had a lot of fans the first time around. Now that she has been politically outspoken (along with her character having an actual political leaning in the show) it has sparked debate over who will and who won't watch and why.

14. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

Fox news was all over this since yesterday. Since fox is all over it trump is as well.

15. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

99% of movies and major TV shows are filled with leftist propaganda, but god forbid there’s a right leaning TV show, that’s like totally an outrage man!

16. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

Filled with leftist propaganda? Come on now.

17. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I don't mind when it's not a crazed militant like Roseanne, if you don't believe it look at her Twitter feed, she's literally out of her mind. Will and Grace on the other hand with Megan Mullally as a crazed right wing Trump supporter is freaking hilarious. I don't think people mind political situations from either side as long as it's not taken so seriously.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I never watched the show growing up, but it's been on a lot lately. From what I've watched, and growing up in the era, this was one of few (if any) shows that doesn't portray the superficial suburban middle class family but instead the most realistic "lower middle class" living situation I've ever seen on TV.

Not really a fan of Roseanne herself, but my god I don't know what we're going to do as a nation when we eventually lose John Goodman. The man is a ****ing gem.

19. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Didn't Will and Grace bash Trump? I didn't watch it, just heard about it from my wife.

20. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Only crazy people base their media consumption on political or social opinions of the actor/writer.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

Irrelevant. The poster asked me why there was any controversy over the Roseanne reboot. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and what shows they watch/why. I didn't judge nor do I. If anything I would argue that "art" is meant to cause an emotional reaction. That is its purpose.

22. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Can't the same be said for certain talk show hosts?
    They had a lot of fans from both sides of the aisle and now that they're being politically outspoken, it has sparked debate over who will and who won't watch and why.

Seriously... is this even a needed debate?
    It's a TV show about a fictitious character.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The notion of a "leftist" propaganda cabal coming from the....6(?) companies that own 99% of every media you've ever encountered is hilarious. When the hell was the last time you saw an actual critique of capitalism in media?

24. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I really work hard to keep from attacking other posters here, it would be nice if I was extended the same courtesy.

25. samcraig macrumors P6

Yes - and there has been debate about talk show hosts. So why not a topical debate about a show that just got rebooted this past week.