Trump Calls for Government Shutdown

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
“Our country needs a good ‘shutdown’ in September to fix mess!” Trump wrote in a series of tweets Tuesday morning. He likely meant a shutdown in October, as the current spending bill lawmakers have agreed to would fund government operations through Sept. 30.

Trump’s call for a shutdown, which appears to be unprecedented from a sitting president, comes as his problems are mounting within the House and Senate, chambers that are both controlled by his party.
Shutdown won't fix the mess ... trump will still be president.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
One of the things Trump doesn't realize is that he is not CEO - he is President. And that there are checks and balances put in place to prevent the very kind of situation Trump desires most.

So I agree - a shutdown won't fix anything because he still can't manage to work WITH congress.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
It might, there is a chance it could pull together a veto proof majority coalition of Democrats and moderate Republicans to avoid shutting down the government.
With trump's track record, I don't think we have much to worry about.

But the optics are pretty bad, seeing a sitting president call for a government shutdown.

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
With trump's track record, I don't think we have much to worry about.

But the optics are pretty bad, seeing a sitting president call for a government shutdown.
But his base LOVES it. Unfortunately - I don't think Trump realizes that his base didn't really get him elected. They helped - but there are people outside his base who voted for him (or against Hillary) and are likely not amused by these types of antics. If he even finishes a 1st term - winning a 2nd terms is simply not in the bag.

Reactions: citizenzen

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
But his base LOVES it. Unfortunately - I don't think Trump realizes that his base didn't really get him elected. They helped - but there are people outside his base who voted for him (or against Hillary) and are likely not amused by these types of antics. If he even finishes a 1st term - winning a 2nd terms is simply not in the bag.
His base didn't get him elected? Then who did?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
His base didn't get him elected? Then who did?
More than his base - what I refer to as those that think he can do nothing wrong - is what got him elected. You don't think he won solely on what most consider his "base" do you? There are a lot of people who are not his base who voted for him because they didn't like any other candidate and/or found him to be the better choice. But that doesn't mean they are his base. His core supporters.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
If there was ever a year for the Republicans to nominate an automatic rifle with a magic 8-ball duct taped to it for president, this would have been it. We'd all be getting our tax rebates paid in the form of ammo this year. But no, they blew it. Trump.
they TRIED what the DNC did, it didn't work, they sent everyone after trump from the rest of the GOP leadership to faux news and he beat them all :(

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
I think you just described a Unicorn. This mythical creature that think Trump is infallible doesn't exist.
Are you kidding? Have you seen the interviews at Trump rallies with Trump supporters? A lot of them are very cultish in their devotion to Dear Leader. He seriously can do no wrong in their eyes. Trump himself noticed this and said he could shoot someone on 5th avenue and they wouldn't care. And he was right.

It's really unbelievable that Trump has actually called for a shutdown. Man, he gets crazier by the day. Morning Joe was throwing out the Dementia word a lot this morning. Maybe it's that setting in.

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
Are you kidding? Have you seen the interviews at Trump rallies with Trump supporters? A lot of them are very cultish in their devotion to Dear Leader. He seriously can do no wrong in their eyes. Trump himself noticed this and said he could shoot someone on 5th avenue and they wouldn't care. And he was right.
Right. The same as the slavish Obama supporters that thought they wouldn't need to pay their bills anymore.