Trump Calls Putin to Congratulate Russian President on Election Win

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Mar 20, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

So you disagree with Trump congratulating him? Why?

3. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I'd argue that it is a big deal. Russia engaged in a concerted attack on the US in 2016 and committed an act of state-sponsored terrorism in the UK just two weeks ago. Did Trump call Rouhani to congratulate him when he was re-elected president of Iran last year?

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

But Obama called Putin to congratulate him - so, you know - that makes it 100% the same.

5. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Congratulating someone on winning an election that you know is rigged is pretty disgusting.

6. 0007776 Suspended

Obama shouldn’t have done that either since that election was also rigged. However in Obama’s defense I believe that was before the attempted reset in relations with Russia fell apart.

7. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Did @samcraig and you suddenly come to this conclusion or were you just as disgusted in 2012 too?

8. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Good strawman. I was disgusted when Obama did it, and I'm disgusted now.

Do you think someone deserves praise for winning an election they rigged?

9. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

It’s not a strawman fallacy whatsoever. It was a question not a false claim. It’s refreshing you are consistent and not a hypocrite.

Earlier this morning the LA Times took note Trump hadn’t called and Putin’s reaction to it.

In my opinion Trump should have called just as Obama should have.

10. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Why do you think someone should be congratulated for winning an election that they rigged?

11. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Because it was a rigged election.
    Because his main opponents have been killed/jailed.
    Because in the past few years he’s emerged as a very real threat to western democracy.
    Because of their “history”.

12. Gutwrench, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018

Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Obama saw the need for cordial relations with Russia and maintaining a healthy relationship beneficial. I assume President Trump likely sees it the same way.

I respect your opinion that Obama and now Trump should not have called Putin. And while I disagree at least the two of us don’t hide behind vague ambiguities clearly stating our positions and are not hypocrites.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 20, 2018 ---
    See above. Intersting the thread creator doesn’t reply.

13. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Placating a dictator who has stolen untold billions from his own country and other countries is hardly a healthy relationship. (And I'm certain that Obama's and Trump's reasons were very different.)

14. IWantItThatWay Suspended

Obama congratulated Putin in 2012: http://foreignpolicy.com/2012/03/09/obama-congratulates-putin-for-election-win/

"President Obama called Russian President-elect and Prime Minister Putin to congratulate him on his recent victory in the Russian Presidential ..."

Can anyone give me an explanation for this?

Obama also said he would be more "flexible after the election" with the recently elected Putin:

--- Post Merged, Mar 20, 2018 ---
    I never want to hear liberals complain about the Iraq War/George W. Bush again.

15. 0007776 Suspended

Didn’t you post a whole thread asking for an explanation which you promptly ignored when given? Or was that someone else?

16. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I don’t know if that’s true or not. But I’m glad to see you’re consistent though. Kudos.

17. IWantItThatWay Suspended

I wasn't ignoring.

I replied.

Now can you give me an explanation?

Someone earlier this thread try to claim it was because Putin kills "political opponents," but that excuse doesn't work because Putin has been accused of killing political opponents for decades. The Washington Post had a "list" of political opponents allegedly killed by Putin, and almost all of them were pre-2012: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...or-in-suspicious-ways/?utm_term=.97c6de4aa1c8

The other excuse was that Putin rigged the election this year. However, Putin was accused of rigging the election in 2012 as well and New York Times even wrote an article about it: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/06/w...flaws-in-russian-election.html?pagewanted=all

So can anyone give me a real explanation? All I hear is you guys want another war in the Middle East.

18. 0007776 Suspended

Sure, at the time Obama was pursuing a policy of resetting relations with Russia. It hadn’t yet failed, but in the intervening time it failed miserably. The real question is out of all of Obama’s policies why is this the one that Trump wants to continue even though it clearly failed?

19. IWantItThatWay Suspended

What changed?

Explain this to me.

What made Obama's "reset" a failure?

I don't take this seriously unless you rebuke Obama's entire Presidency and admit George W. Bush and Romney were right.

20. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't treat Putin better than he does his own staff.

21. 0007776 Suspended

It allowed Russia to invade Crimea, allowed Putin to erode human rights in Russia without the US saying much, allowed Russia to gain a foothold in Syria. Also it allowed Russia to interfere in other countries elections so they could build up the capacity to interfere in ours.

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yup.

...aaaaaaand Trump.

Need I say more?

23. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

I don't think Obama was ever naive enough to think there would be cordial relationship with Russia. As a matter of fact, he did respond to Russian aggressions where it hurts oligarchs the most: economic sanctions (which is, I suspect, when the Russians in turn decided to take the matter of the US in the own hands).

Just last week Russia performed a cyberattack on the power grid.
    It’s highly probable they are blackmailing/coercing the POTUS, after doing everything they could to have him elected.
    They have recently spread a nervous agent in the UK.

I think the time for cordial relationships is long gone. Unless you’re of the Neville Chamberlain school of thought, that is.

24. iLunar macrumors 6502

iLunar

Are you kidding with this? 2012is not the same as 2018. Times change. Based on what Russia has done in the last 5 years, you’d think Republican leadership would acknowledge the threat. But they are failing to act, and why? They are acquesing to Putin and might even be bribing politicians and swaying elections based evidence that is coming to light for the Cambridge Analytica fiasco. Take a look at Cambridge Analytica or SCL’s client lists.

And enough with the false equivalencies. That is all you keep posting in every one of these threads (and your font sizes are not useful, just because you scream the loudest doesn’t make you right).

We need to hold the current administration accountable for its action, or in this case, inaction.

25. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Maybe you’re a Churchill person. Churchill said “When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.”