Trump Calls White House "A Dump" - and more insights

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Aug 2, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

http://amp.timeinc.net/golf/tour-ne...tionship-golf-more-complicated-now?source=dam

An interesting read about Trump's golfing and golf courses. And this gem

As President, Trump has already made four visits to the club. He has his own cottage adjacent to the pool; it was recently given a secure perimeter by the Secret Service, leading to the inevitable joke that it's the only wall Trump has successfully built. Chatting with some members before a recent round of golf, he explained his frequent appearances: "That White House is a real dump." (A White House spokesperson denies this occurred.) Trump is often at his most unguarded among the people who pay for their proximity to him. Last November, the President-elect hosted a cocktail reception and dinner at Bedminster on the same weekend that he was holding interviews at the club with candidates for his Cabinet. At the dinner, Trump addressed the members of the club by saying, "This is my real group. You are the special people. I see all of you. I recognize, like, 100% of you, just about." Then he issued an open invitation to drop in on his Cabinet interviews the next day.

I also laughed at this:
    Trump will sometimes respond to a shot he duffed by simply playing a second ball and carrying on as if the first shot never happened. In the parlance of the game, Trump takes floating mulligans, usually more than one during a round. Because of them it is impossible to say what he has actually shot on any given day, according to 18 people who have teed it up with Trump over the last decade, including SI senior writer Michael Bamberger, who has done so nine times.

2. Zenithal macrumors 68040

He's free to resign anytime and go back to his swanky pad.

3. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Clearly the issue is there is not enough gold and marble and french imported furniture.

The White House is more of a mansion than it is a palace. I'm guess that's why he prefers his other properties.

Who knows if that quote is even true- though I wouldn't be surprised. I don't even get this peice other than to be a series of mocking Trump. As I've said a million times, I'm not a Trump fan, I didn't vote for him, but him being the endless butts of jokes is quite tiring.

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Hope springs eternal…

5. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

The entire piece is actually not a "hit" piece. It definitely has punches - but it's not all one sided at all.

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I get what you are saying. I myself am suffering from a chronic case of Trump-fatigue. But I temper that by recognizing that a new President is given plenty of opportunities to charm the American people. And for whatever reason, Donald Trump continually uses these opportunities to whine and to insult other people.

Trump referring to the White House as a "dump" - not privately, to his wife or intimate friends, but in an interview with a reporter from a national magazine - speaks volumes to me about his lack of understanding of the job.

The White House, the "people's house", is not supposed to be a gilded pleasure palace. It is supposed to be the place where the President lives and gets his daily work done. The President's family quarters are comfortable, and the President and his family are cared for by a highly professional and discrete staff.

Taking the job of President inevitably involves a certain amount of sacrifice. A President sacrifices a great deal of personal privacy. He inevitably is going to face criticism from politicians, from the press, from people from the entertainment industry, and from ordinary citizens. Being President means spending much of your time flying on Government airplanes, meeting people you don't necessarily want to, and being surrounded by very serious men and women carrying guns. It also means spending four or eight years living in Government housing.

If Donald Trump didn't realize that, then he had no business taking the job. If he would rather be spending his days waddling around a golf course and gorging himself on Taco bowls in his New York luxury skyscraper, I suggest he resign and let someone else do the job.

Humanity will thank him for that.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I'd move into the **** hole and do 10x's a better job than he will/is.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

For elevating Pence to President? o_O

9. HEK Suspended

HEK

He continuously makes himself the endless but of jokes.

When he was a private lune running his own scam businesses, it didn't matter because everyone had a choice to interact with him or not.

Now that he barely got voted in as President of the United States he represents all of us to the world. The fact that he doesn't see that as problem for us, the people he is supposed to be serving needs to be pointed out at every opportunity till he either gets it, or resigns.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 2, 2017 ---
    At least he appears a sane *****

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The man has a severe case of narcissistic personality disorder. He thinks he's doing us all a favor by being President. Do us all a favor and just go play golf and **** for the next 3yrs.

11. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

That's it! Trump-Fatigue Syndrome (TFS). I'm so tired of hearing about the trivial nonsense. We get it, he's poltically incompetent and personally a disgrace. Now let's focus on real news rather than every other article being mainly a character assassination peice, every joke ending with some allusion to Trump, every last tweet analyzed with a electron microscope, every misstep he takes presented as breaking headline news, and arguing that every decision he makes is "wrong" regardless of how inconsequential it may be. I guess this crap is profitable though.

One of these days I'm going to renounce myself from all Trump-related threads. This Trump obsession is not confined to PRSI though, it's everywhere.

Honestly, eventually the media is going to burn out its customer base. The comedy segment is starting to realize that. People are going to stop caring and start avoiding. And that's not a good thing for anyone except Trump.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The only way that picture could possibly be better is if it was a gif with those electronic signs flashing on and off.

14. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I don't disagree he sets himself up for failure time and time again. But it's no longer really that funny when it's the norm. If someone wants to write articles about his poor character, that's their right, but at this point it doesn't need to be headline news.

Another pet peeve- the "barely was elected" argument. Fact: There are a lot of very close elections. While the electoral college can be touted as "unfair", it's the predetermined rule we play by.

It's unfortunate he has been the one elected to represent our country. I think a lot of people thought he'd rise to the occasion. I'd argue that he really does not represent the majority ideology of America, including Republicans. Maybe I'm wrong, I live in a liberal part of the country... but his legislative record thus far is pretty indicative of that.

I really doubt he's going to "get it" or resign. You can't teach an old dog new tricks and ego is too large to ever admit defeat (or change who he is).

While everyone obviously holds Trump accountable for his behavior, that's certainly fair, but how about taking a step back and holding our voters and political system accountable? Out of dozens of millions of people legally eligible to run for POTUS, how do we end up settling on such terrible candidates?

15. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

But it's Trump himself who keeps drawing attention away from important issues.

16. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

And he's probably counting on it.

If he was just a egomaniac clown we could say just let it pass but while he's creating all this BS his minions are busy trying to turn the country back to who knows what....

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Here's some: Mueller just added another lawyer. The sixteenth one. Investigation is now said likely to extend well into 2018 if not beyond. So yeah maybe we should save some of the jokes about Trump for much later. Could need some comic relief by then, probably.

Exclusive: Former Justice Department official joins Mueller team

Greg Andres started on Tuesday, becoming the 16th lawyer on the team, said Josh Stueve, a spokesman for the special counsel.

Most recently a white-collar criminal defense lawyer with New York law firm Davis Polk & Wardwell, Andres, 50, served at the Justice Department from 2010 to 2012. He was deputy assistant attorney general in the criminal division, where he oversaw the fraud unit and managed the program that targeted illegal foreign bribery.​

18. eatrains macrumors regular

Imagine the reaction if Obama had called the White House a dump...

19. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Some of them yes, I did say he continuously sets himself up for failure (in every respect of the word failure). I strongly feel some of them are calculated distractions. But a lot of the news is just plain nonsense or stuff dug up from decades ago.

The Trump-Russia scandal is truly a story of putting the cart before the horse. Constant headlines about how Trumps has 6 degrees of separation from Putin via some friend or staff- rather ridiculous when you consider they're elite businessmen and politicians. I think the underlying allegation was that Trump is so bad that could not have won on his own. Pretty much all the evidence is circumstantial at best, and Trumps methods of defending himself have made the situation all the more worse. I don't deny the possibility of collusion, Trump is a scummy guy, but I'm waiting for real evidence... not phishing for facts that suggest the allegation. I'd say the "jury is still out" but the jury already has their conclusion.

There has been so much manufactured hype about Trump-Russia with "bombshell" after "bombshell" but none of them really end up holding weight. (In the mean time I'll be patiently waiting, believe me).

20. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

When I visited in my younger years, the WH reminded me more of a museum. Living in a museum?

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

IMG_3525.JPG
    The funny thing is, I feel the same about his gaudy places.

22. HEK Suspended

HEK

Faux News would have gone ballistic. Come on Faux News, where is your patriotic pride?

23. jerwin macrumors 65816

Huey Long had the same problem.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/stripp...ry-of-the-worlds-greatest-white-house-replica

24. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

His son, son-in-law and campaign manager? Those aren't just "some staffers" or longtime politicians. Elite businessmen, sure, but why all the misleading? Surely they saw the news coverage and the investigation... they should have combed over their records and said "Yeah, we had a meeting (or a few) and they were just business as usual."

They went from having no meetings (Trump Jr., Manafort and Kushner all denied having meetings), then it pivoted to "We had a meeting about adoption", then it went to "Sure, anyone would have taken a meeting about dirt on an opponent."

It's not even so much the meetings themselves as it is the lack of transparency.

25. jerwin macrumors 65816

I don't think it's even reached the jury stage. Why are you so impatient?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 2, 2017 ---
    Maybe they're just spectacularly incompetent.