Trump campaign fund being drained to pay legal fees

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Jul 15, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Well, everyone who ponied up money to the Donald Trump election campaign can be assured that their dollars are being spent well; that is, at least, if they are interested in giving money to lawyers. The fund has already spent four and a half million dollars on legal fees, with half a million of that being spent in just the last three months. Larry Noble, of the Campaign Legal Center, said this in a Politico article:

“They’re obviously increasing the number of lawyers they have working for them,” Noble said. “And [Trump] seems to be, to a certain extent, churning through lawyers – so this could get expensive.”​

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/15/trump-campaign-paid-jr-attorney-240592

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If Trump chooses lawyers like he chooses the rest of his people......

[​IMG]

3. samcraig macrumors P6

The timing is interesting as well

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/07/rev...-jrs-lawyer-two-weeks-before-emails-came-out/

4. SusanK macrumors 68000

Better to use the funds for legal fees than to get this loser reelected.

DNC If you are reading this, no more Hillary!!!!

[I kinda guaranteed no likes on this post. Ha ha]

5. samcraig macrumors P6

I liked it because I like to be contrary and don't like to be told what to do LOL

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

poor trump can't afford those fantastic shysters. I bet even for trump this isa record amount of money spent on lawyers. how much you want to bet republicans won't do anything about it?

7. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Don't want Trump and don't want Hillary. Let's add a bunch of DNC and GOP hopefuls to that list.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Hillary controls the dnc. Not the other way around

9. ChrisWB, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017

ChrisWB macrumors 6502

And the giraffes at the zoo are responsible for missing socks. Also, all political parties are merely puppets dancing on the world stage while a shadow organization led by Bozo the Clown pulls the strings.

On an unrelated note, tonight I embraced the fact that anyone can make ridiculous, unsubstantiated statements with no grounding in reality.

On topic, I hope that we see fresh faces in the political arena during the next election.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

hillary is the biggest villain of all time she is responsible for every bad thing in the last 10 years or so. we need batman to take her down :rolleyes:

11. LordVic macrumors 601

maybe this was what he meant by "drain the swamp".

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

great one but maybe drain the donors? trump never likes to pay his own way the ultimate leach. he is a America vampire feeding off his people.

13. Rigby macrumors 601

At least now we know why he started campaigning for 2020 in 2017. I almost feel sorry for the poor suckers who gave their $20 to a billionaire so he doesn't have to pay his own (and his offspring's) lawyers. Almost.

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

To quote junior: "I love it" :D

Drain all that money. Then it can't be used elsewhere later!

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Low information voters
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/dnc-leak-clinton-team-deflected-state-cash-concerns-226191
    Made them cheat kept the money and hired the disgraced one who cheated for her.

16. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Claims he is a billionare. Won't show his tax returns to prove it.

17. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

18. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Sorry Susan, I agree and like both your points! :)

19. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

Sound like a job creator to me.:D

20. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Isn't that illegal?

21. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Hmm. The article says this:

So long as Trump is only paying expenses incurred from the parts of the investigation related to his campaign, it’s legal for the president to use his campaign donations to pay legal expenses or the legal expenses for Trump Jr., said Larry Noble, senior director at the Campaign Legal Center.​

So, it could be legal, at least for what we've seen so far. It does present an issue, however, if it is found that the Russian collusion extended beyond the campaign itself; would that mean that the lawyers would need to recuse themselves, or that the Trump clan would need to reimburse the campaign for funds spent? Interesting...

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Like state politics are pure as the driven snow themselves. Take New York, for instance. Pleae.

I'll donate labor for a candidate if I decide to get active in a campaign. But not $$. I'll buy pizza for the local Demo office if they're organizing a flyer distribution walk or something. That's about it.

As for the Trump campaign fund going for lawyers, what a surprise. No idea if it's legal but even if it isn't I bet that's one piece of law has C130-sized holes in it courtesy of a wide awake Congress. :rolleyes:

23. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Would you rather 45 use taxpayer dollars? o_O Because you know they probably looked into that before settling for the campaign's funds, to avoid using personal funds. Goodness! :eek:

24. samcraig, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017

samcraig macrumors P6

So you're outraged that the Trump family is cheating people out of their money, naturally. I mean - if you're pointing to Clinton as doing something wrong, you must hold the same contempt for Trump. The question we already know the answer to is - why do you always feel the need to constantly try to create parity in threads when they have nothing to do with the person you mention. Clinton/Obama - no discussion in here needed. If you feel so strongly about such issues, start threads to discuss them. My .02, of course. Happy National Ice Cream Day.