Trump campaign fund being drained to pay legal fees

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Well, everyone who ponied up money to the Donald Trump election campaign can be assured that their dollars are being spent well; that is, at least, if they are interested in giving money to lawyers. The fund has already spent four and a half million dollars on legal fees, with half a million of that being spent in just the last three months. Larry Noble, of the Campaign Legal Center, said this in a Politico article:

“They’re obviously increasing the number of lawyers they have working for them,” Noble said. “And [Trump] seems to be, to a certain extent, churning through lawyers – so this could get expensive.”​

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/15/trump-campaign-paid-jr-attorney-240592

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Well, everyone who ponied up money to the Donald Trump election campaign can be assured that their dollars are being spent well; that is, at least, if they are interested in giving money to lawyers. The fund has already spent four and a half million dollars on legal fees, with half a million of that being spent in just the last three months. Larry Noble, of the Campaign Legal Center, said this in a Politico article:

“They’re obviously increasing the number of lawyers they have working for them,” Noble said. “And [Trump] seems to be, to a certain extent, churning through lawyers – so this could get expensive.”​

The timing is interesting as well

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/07/revealed-trump-2020-campaign-paid-50000-to-trump-jrs-lawyer-two-weeks-before-emails-came-out/

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
poor trump can't afford those fantastic shysters. I bet even for trump this isa record amount of money spent on lawyers. how much you want to bet republicans won't do anything about it?

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Don't want Trump and don't want Hillary. Let's add a bunch of DNC and GOP hopefuls to that list.

Reactions: jkcerda

ChrisWB

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2004
Chicago
Hillary controls the dnc. Not the other way around
And the giraffes at the zoo are responsible for missing socks. Also, all political parties are merely puppets dancing on the world stage while a shadow organization led by Bozo the Clown pulls the strings.

On an unrelated note, tonight I embraced the fact that anyone can make ridiculous, unsubstantiated statements with no grounding in reality.

On topic, I hope that we see fresh faces in the political arena during the next election.

Last edited:

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
A

On an unrelated note, tonight I embraced the fact that anyone can make ridiculous, unsubstantiated statements with no grounding in reality.
hillary is the biggest villain of all time she is responsible for every bad thing in the last 10 years or so. we need batman to take her down :rolleyes:

Reactions: Thomas Veil

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
And the giraffes at the zoo are responsible for missing socks. Also, all political parties are merely puppets dancing on the world stage while a shadow organization led by Bozo the Clown pulls the strings.

On topic, I hope that we see fresh faces in the political arena during the next election.
Low information voters
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/dnc-leak-clinton-team-deflected-state-cash-concerns-226191
Made them cheat kept the money and hired the disgraced one who cheated for her.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
At least now we know why he started campaigning for 2020 in 2017. I almost feel sorry for the poor suckers who gave their $20 to a billionaire so he doesn't have to pay his own (and his offspring's) lawyers. Almost.
Claims he is a billionare. Won't show his tax returns to prove it.

DearthnVader

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC

Sound like a job creator to me.:D

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX

Isn't that illegal?

Reactions: jpietrzak8

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Isn't that illegal?
Hmm. The article says this:

So long as Trump is only paying expenses incurred from the parts of the investigation related to his campaign, it’s legal for the president to use his campaign donations to pay legal expenses or the legal expenses for Trump Jr., said Larry Noble, senior director at the Campaign Legal Center.​

So, it could be legal, at least for what we've seen so far. It does present an issue, however, if it is found that the Russian collusion extended beyond the campaign itself; would that mean that the lawyers would need to recuse themselves, or that the Trump clan would need to reimburse the campaign for funds spent? Interesting...

Reactions: PracticalMac

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Low information voters
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/dnc-leak-clinton-team-deflected-state-cash-concerns-226191
Like state politics are pure as the driven snow themselves. Take New York, for instance. Pleae.

I'll donate labor for a candidate if I decide to get active in a campaign. But not $$. I'll buy pizza for the local Demo office if they're organizing a flyer distribution walk or something. That's about it.

As for the Trump campaign fund going for lawyers, what a surprise. No idea if it's legal but even if it isn't I bet that's one piece of law has C130-sized holes in it courtesy of a wide awake Congress. :rolleyes:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Low information voters
So you're outraged that the Trump family is cheating people out of their money, naturally. I mean - if you're pointing to Clinton as doing something wrong, you must hold the same contempt for Trump. The question we already know the answer to is - why do you always feel the need to constantly try to create parity in threads when they have nothing to do with the person you mention. Clinton/Obama - no discussion in here needed. If you feel so strongly about such issues, start threads to discuss them. My .02, of course. Happy National Ice Cream Day.

Last edited:
Reactions: MadeTheSwitch