Trump Cancels Air Force One!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 5684697, Dec 6, 2016.

1. 5684697 Suspended

2. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

3. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

right cause you know twitter. trump is not going to fly around in his own jet get a grip already.
    is trump going to give executive orders through twitter?

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

1. It's two planes. There are two planes that serve as Air Force One

2. Air Force One is a flying White House. It has anti-aircraft missile systems. It is EMP proof and capable of aerial refueling. Probably also has all sorts of classified stuff we don't know about. This is not the same 747 that gets delivered to airlines.

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

don't try to inject logic into this. trump has spoken through twitter so it must be true.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Air Force one doesn't cost $4 billion, the two new planes have been estimated to be about $1.8 billion. Trump also hasn't cancelled Air Force one, this one to be deployed in 2024.

Not happening.

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

stop with the logic.

9. 5684697 thread starter Suspended

I am continually amazed by the lack of humor inherent in the left. I guess depression is to be expected during these dark days, and now they are reduced to pretending to care more than anyone else.

Trump is sending messages. Some are idiotic, others are long overdue, like reforming government procurement.

You all think that the Pentagon is a kit fighting wars. It's not, it's about interservice competition for money to buy weapons.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

so the president elect is sending idiotic messages and we are supposed to cheer it? How can he reform anything when it he keeps showing his less then bright side? no one is going to take him seriously.

11. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Trump wants to save taxpayers money? What a fool!
    Come on people, this is the United States government we're talking about. You know at least some of that $2.9 billion (number from CNN article) is wasted and/or lining some executive's pocket. I'm sure this is yet another classic example of government spending...five guys digging a hole with one shovel.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

As with all government contracts with private contractors of course there is skimming. That said, the current Air Force One duo is approaching 30 years on the same frame. The plane needs to be replaced, period.

13. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Maybe I'm taking what he said wrong, but it seems to me like he is suggesting this particular contract is bad and needs to be looked at. But not that they don't need a new Air Force One.

14. 5684697 thread starter Suspended

Bet Trump has a particular airplane in mind!

New policy. No more taxpayer funded transportation for the President. The POTUS must bring their own jet to golf outings. Maybe Trump can force Obama to reimburse his lucrative trips to the links around the world?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2016 ---
    Lighten up, Francis. There is nothing you can do about it is there? So stop pretending that you "care more", and that it somehow makes you more serious and important. Trump is going to be Trump, and it is always a good think to expose government's gold plating of procurement, which occurs in all programs, including ones that you adore.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yea, and this is where we have to point out that if the plane is scheduled to be decommissioned in 2024 the plan needs to be finalized...last year.

This is the same mentality that seriously thought the 9 year process of the TPP could just be "renegotiated" with a new president. These types of enormously complex (in the case of TPP, consensus amongst the many nations participating) decisions (Air Force One has every type of communications device you can think of, amongst many other classified systems required to run the country from the air) have years of lead time, for a reason.

16. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

So then we should not take a look at the "skimming" (your word) and continue on with business as usual? I agree with your assessment and understand that a new Air Force One is needed, but the "skimming" needs to stop. And not just with this project. Don't think that this isn't also a message being sent to the Pentagon after it came out that they are wasting $125 billion.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The Pentagon lost $6 Trillion since 2000. Of course "skimming" needs to be addressed, but that is a conversation about cutting the defense budget and doing actual independent audits with actual consequences for the systemic fraud in contracting out defense contracts.

Focusing on the command center for the USA is a lousy round about way to get to this conversation however.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Meh, Obama cancelled the (new) Marine One program, and for a good reason, and he also had to award high penalties to AgustaWestland and Lockheed for a fleet that was already on track but incredibly expensive.
    That's just how the aerospace industry works. Saw a lot of friends losing their job because Cheney or Obama woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
    I don't miss my aerospace years (salary excluded!).

19. 5684697 thread starter Suspended

Yeah, the A12 cancellation was a shock that still reverberates.

JSF better watch out!

20. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Oh I see. So you do agree with Trump's position on wasteful spending but just think he shouldn't have used this matter to bring it up?

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I am sure that everyone in this thread will love this:

22. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Why not. You seem to cheer for the ones posted on PRSI :D. I just couldn't resist.

23. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Because it's a mobile command center and a flying hospital?

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I think you're doing a whole lot of projection into a tweet to bring up a topic you'd like to discuss. This tweet is not a call to address waste in contracting.

25. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Apparently great food is also served, something not to be discounted when you have to choose your airline.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2016 ---
    I agree that it's not a call to any action - after all he has no official role. I think that Trump, who's great in getting his point across, is sending a message (again) that things are going to change.