Trump cancels meeting with FBI

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, May 12, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Well, that apparently didn't work out. Trump was supposed to go have a meeting with FBI employees to "show his support" for the organization. No longer:

The White House has abandoned the idea of President Trump visiting FBI headquarters after being told he would not be greeted warmly, administration officials told NBC News.​

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...rters-after-comey-firing-spokesperson-n757771

Seems like reality may slowly be creeping up on the president's set of alternative facts...

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

he screwed the pooch, wonder if he is going to be impeached or is he going to step down?

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

No ****, what did he expect?
    Comey was respected within the FBI.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

thin foil hat on.............................
    rumors from the alex jones types implied he was not that well liked for letting hillary off the hook........

still the way he was fired was extremely stupid from the apprentice moron..........

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Exactly. As I said in a different post, the problem is not that Comey is not in his position anymore. It's how it was done, without honor for Comey. And an honorable resignation in Washington DC has a very high value. Trump just needed to nod that he lost confidence in Comey, and he would've resigned for "family issues". Comey would've found a nice job for some high paying firm and he would've been largely forgotten in a few weeks.
    Trump wanted to use force - in the most idiotic way - and now all the directors and cabinet members are going to act accordingly, which is NOT good for Trump.
    People at that level know that they might lose their day job for political reasons, it's the game. The "only" thing they ask for is an honorable exit and to be able to keep some minimal political capital that keeps them relevant in the private sector.

6. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Then again, a dishonorable dismissal from this particular president is increasingly looking like a badge of honor to the rest of the world. ;)

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

trump is earning that dismissal.

8. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

Trump is doing precisely what many of us predicted. He is out of his depth and out of control. Much like our Brexit I feel people voted because they were sick of the status quo, but the reality of the outcome is too unstable to manage. I will be amazed if Trump lasts 4 years and I'm wondering now if he is trying to do himself out of a job because it's his only way out.

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

If it's too much resign. He can make up any ******** reason if he doesn't want to admit he got in over his head.

10. steve knight, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017

steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

That would look weak and trump would rather die then look weak.

11. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Comey went after Clinton, and was presumably going after Trump too. There is some fair criticism of him, but nevertheless I respect that he actually investigated people in power all the way up to the top. And I respect his gigantic balls.

His days were certainly numbered.

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I think he would rather go out on his own terms (resignation) then be "fired" (impeachment).

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

not so sure, I think Steve for a change is right.

14. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I agree, but I also think people are looking at the source of the firing and could probably look at it as even more honorable.

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

now there's a shocking turn of events :D

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Don't get me wrong, the man's ego would prevent him from doing so. However if the writing was on the wall and impeachment is inevitable, I see him convincing himself to take his **** and go home. Impeachment is giving the other side the satisfaction of throwing his ass out and then have that hung around his families name for eternity. Remember he's all about "his terms".

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

thing is , will his ego let him see that he will indeed get impeached? he is pretty delusional IMHO.

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

He is, but I don't believe his family will allow him to be so ***** blind. You think him and his family want the front page of the NY times (and probably every other publication) to read "YOU'RE FIRED" with his mug on the front page.

19. Scepticalscribe, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I saw and read your other posts on this topic and agree entirely with you - with one caveat. Now, I agree with you in what Mr Trump should have done - namely, allowed an honourable exit to Mr Comey. And I agree - completely - with your argument for why he should have done this.

The problem is that firing people who displease him is not enough for Mr Trump, removing them from the political chess board is not enough, his nature demands that he must humiliate them as well in order to demonstrate (to himself) his clear superiority over them. This is a serious character flaw, and a deeply unattractive one.

20. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

delusional? or just terribly inexperienced at dealing with what politicians have to deal with on a daily basis? Anyway, he'll be blaming YOU before he blames himself

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Well, the fact that we agree in PRSI is news in itself! ;)

I agree on the character flaw. The problem is that he is not correcting it.

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I think that the Republicans will impeach him - eventually. So, it won't be "the other side" - it'll come from his own side.

Otherwise, they - the GOP - are toast in the mid-terms, and if they do impeach him - pleading the national interest - they can expect to keep most of their seats, if not their control of both Houses, as they will have been able to stand for election on the "patriotic" and "good for the country" platforms, pleading that this, rather rather than partisan self interest, is what had governed their recent actions.

23. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

My favorite part of it all was the wishing him the best on his next endeavor. You do that in middle management not the head of the FBI.

24. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Insofar as impeachment is a possibility, I think this is about as stable a route as could be wished for, but it's a risky gambit for the Republicans. That said, their relative quiet through such controversies as have rumbled through the administration the last few weeks might do them well in that scenario because he's building a strong case. The more Trump's name is explicitly attached (by them) to something like AHCA which, from what I gather has little "improvement" to get it higher than the 17% approval of its preceding legislative flop, I think the stronger their case would be with his core supporters. They'll need that if they want to avoid a "red wedding."

Still, I'm skeptical. I just hope that somehow the powers-that-be on both sides of the aisle can stabilize the ship-of-state before he has the chance to capsize it. Our institutions are strong (for the same reasons they're frustratingly slow and inefficient), but not impervious. Trump is proving how destructively "zero sum games" play out in our system; both parties would be wise to take heed.

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Is the business world really that much different from politics? Executives at major corporations are often allowed to honorably resign instead of being fired in a humiliating manner. But then, Trump never ran a normal business either -- he just owned his own businesses, which he ran however he wants. So he's terribly inexperienced at normal social interaction, period.