Trump cancels White House Christmas party for the press

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 13, 2018.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tr...VOw0nxK7f3DztEKZh13F8RXPqOFuWwF_77iNJD0kym2dQ
    good, the media is like Xmas decorations, fake as hell...........

2. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

I wonder if DJT understands the meaning of the word petty.

3. hulugu, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018

hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

May the olives in your Christmas tamales still have stones.

All told, this is a petty little snit from a small man, but I also think this is a good thing. The White House Press, and really the body of the New York-D.C. media have been too comfortable staying in the orbit of politicians and guys like Trump.

Reporters should be drinking cheap beers and whiskey in dive bars with union reps, teachers, mechanics and nurses. We should be at diners with farmers and steakhouses with ranchers. We should not be sipping highballs with the powerful under a 30-foot Christmas tree in D.C.

We comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable, but the media ecology, coupled with pressure to get access has often put reporters and editors into positions where they want to protect their guy. There's a great scene in "The Post" when Tom Hanks as Bill Bradley realizes that he was probably too protective of JFK after hitting his publisher Katharine Graham, played by Glenn Close, for doing the same with McNamara.

4. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

5. bradl, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And this is exactly what they should be doing. Because not only will they (the media) show that they care about the people affected by Trump, his lies, and his policies, but will prove him wrong and shut him down from his statements that the media is "the enemy of the people."

The irony though... a man who can't help but stand not having the media around him and fawning over him, cancels an event designed to have the media around him and fawning over him.

Very petty, baseless, and superficial. But we expect nothing less than that from Trump.

BL.

6. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Sad guy. Literally everyone around him is bad, a criminal, a deep-state operative... this is one good man, alone, in isolation. All he's tried to do is reach out to everyone and make America great. He's had a lifelong career of helping others at his own detriment. I say the press doesn't deserve to attend anyways. Why should they? So they can continue the tear down and smear campaign against this innocent, decent, honest man?

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

hate olives but I will say my MIL uses them in plenty of meals and the appear to help many dishes :p

because you love me?............................****hugs***********

8. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

A lot of truth in your post.

Unfortunately with Trump this smacks of "doing the right thing for the wrong reason".

When I look how cosy our (speaking of the UK) journos and reporters are with our fat cat politicians I can see why we are in this mess. Once they start sucking on those expense account teats… objectivity seems to go out the window

9. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

This, the correspondent dinners and other WH social events are great ways for the press and the president to call timeout and lighten things up. Obama understood this, he could be self-deprecating and fun. Trump just doesn't have that ability in any way, for him it's all about strength and posturing, zero humanizing himself.

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

And, really, the Christmas party for your local newspaper is either a potluck in conference room, where the unionized pressmen come up to eat sweets with reporters, photographers and grumpy copy editors. Or, the party is at a local bar where reporters hoist up cheap beer with local politicians, union representatives, city managers, cops, and teachers.

But, the media is different in New York, D.C. and L.A. where access journalism often means that elite reporters go to the big parties with overwrought drinks and food. This is a problem for all three cities and for journalism's relationship to power.

11. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

I'd trust the "fake news" any day over the pathological liar POTUS.

12. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

yeah but that is not saying much there is it..............

13. samcraig macrumors P6

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

If I have to be honest, I always found that the President and other high level officials spend way too much time in this useless photo-op crap. I'd rather have the president sleep an extra hour and be a bit more rested than have him go to this type of stuff. I know this is not why Trump canceled the meeting, I am not defending him, but between a ceremony, a dinner, and another event (plus campaigning) I think that too much time and resources are wasted.

15. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Besides, he needs that extra hour for Fox & Friends where he can REALLY put that time to good use.

16. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Just make the Christmas party about the birth of our lord and savior Jesus Christ. No alcohol allowed and the food will be bread. I’m sure some if not most of the press wouldn’t show up.

17. NT1440, Dec 13, 2018

NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Great post.

Just an addendum:

Katharine Graham (her family owned the Washington Post), the "hero" of that movie portraying the corporate press as opposition to the comfortable (as you put it) made a speech to the CIA in 1988 titled "Secrecy and The Press" in which she stated:

“We live in a dirty and dangerous world. There are some things the general public does not need to know, and shouldn’t. I believe democracy flourishes when the government can take legitimate steps to keep its secrets and when the press can decide whether to print what it knows.” - What a hero :rolleyes:

The corporate press, regardless of the clear PR (propaganda being the proper term), is not our friend. Never has been, never will be. It will point out dirty secrets when it furthers the geopolitical interest of whatever paymaster owns it, but it also carries water for that same class when convinced at cocktail parties that illegal war X or Y based on lies is "good for the nation".

Keep in mind that the Post is now owned by the wealthiest man on the planet, who's company also has the largest CIA contract in the world, and is in the middle of acquiring another contract for the JEDI program...the minimum requirements of which have been obviously written so that only Amazon qualifies for the contract. What could go wrong having one of the "papers of record" being clearly in bed with intelligence agencies? Well, I'd look at the last 50+ years of bloodshed in selling us war as an example, as the Post and Times have always been the go-to for the CIA to place the "leaks" it wants "leaked".

18. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Dude, harsh. No one should get bad tamales on Christmas, they should get extra hot tamales so on boxing day is spent in the bathroom. :D
    You forgot Jesus was big on wine... so much so that when they ran out at a party he was at, he performed a miracle to turn water into more wine!

Now for the OP, ... the only thing Trump has yet to do this Christmas is get visited by three ghosts. ;)

19. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I think he's visited by the ghosts of his diet every morning at 4am when he's tweeting from the bathroom....

20. Raid, Dec 13, 2018

Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

There's a visual I didn't need. :p
    [​IMG]

<edit image fixed.. gify doesn't work but imgur does?>

21. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Your link is broken...until it's housed in a response? Weird. Does this forum support GIFs?

22. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Let's face it, most of what the "fake news" has reported on has been true. All the way up until now, most reporting on the Russia investigation, things having to do with Cohen, Flynn, etc. have all turned out to be true.

23. cajun67 macrumors regular

cajun67

Why is Trump waging a War on Christmas?!
    --- Post Merged, Dec 13, 2018 ---
    Even Trump wouldn't show up for that, just Mike Pence.

24. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

The whole "fake news" thing from the Republicans is more humorous than anything. Trump will say something, it will be on tape and the media will report it word for word and they will stall call it fake. All you can really do is laugh at them.