Trump Chooses Noted Racist As Attorney General

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Nov 18, 2016.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III is a horrible pick. The guy was rejected for a federal judgeship because of his racist views. He was nominated by Reagan and never made it out of the Republican controlled Senate Judiciary Committee.

He'll likely get confirmed but the hearings ought to be fun.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/19/u...ackage-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

He would not be my first selection, but he can't do worse than Lynch even if he tried.

3. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Or Holder.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Terrible choice and unlikely to be confirmed (if the NYT is correct. After all, they told me Hillary would win in a landslide.)

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

I also doubt that he will be confirmed, however we have to see how the rest of the cabinet shapes up. They might let him "pass" if the senate wants to get rid of someone else.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 18, 2016 ---
    I think that the "message" between the lines is that Cruz will wait for Sessions to be confirmed. If Sessions is confirmed, Cruz will be nominated for SCOTUS justice, if Sessions is not confirmed Cruz will be nominated for AG.

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Fingers crossed!!

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

that would be a dream!

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

9. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

For SCOTUS its through the confirmation of an appointment.

For some counties and jurisdictions its through popular vote.

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

- Solicitor General
    - Princeton, summa cum laude
    - J.D. @ Harvard Laws School, magna cum laude
    - White House Domestic Policy adviser
    - Lawyer at the Supreme Court's cases
    - Constitutional Lawyer
    - Senator

11. 5684697, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016

5684697 Suspended

Wow, including Eric Holder, I guess the AG has to have racist views these days...maybe, just maybe, Sessions will end the polititiazion of the Justice Department.

The real message that this seems is that if you are in the country illegally and have a criminal record or are engaged in criminal behavior- be worried.

12. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

"light-skinned" African-American "with no negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one."

"would be getting us coffee' a few years ago."

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think it's not realistic to condemn a man for allegedly racist remarks made over thirty years ago.

Don't get me wrong, Sessions will be a definite step backwards as Attorney General. But he was well-liked by people of both parties in the Senate, and it seems more than likely he will be confirmed.

But from a longer-term perspective, I believe in giving the Trump administration plenty of rope with which to hang themselves. (Figuratively, that is.)

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't care who Trump appoints to any post.

I'll judge based on results, not personalities.

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Was also a law clerk for Rehnquist.
    [​IMG]
    whoops.

16. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Looks like he's at an event for Harry Reid, birds of a feather and all.

17. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How WaPo reported on his judicial nomination.

CxjHyiNWgAAmyWl.jpg

18. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I do a passable impression of Jeff Sessions. Although, no one can tell if it's Sessions or Howdy Doody.

None of the politicians we have here in Alabama are fit to serve. Sessions has been a faithful lapdog to Trump from day one, unlike some of the others. He's simply being paid for his loyalty.

But don't let that stand in the way of his total ineptness at performing a job.

19. tgara, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016

tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I agree with you about condemnation surrounding alleged events that occurred 30 years ago. But I disagree that he will be a step backwards. He'd make a great AG. He's definitely a law-and-order guy, and his reverence for the laws is beyond reproach. The contrast between him and Loretta Lynch and Eric Holder couldn’t be starker. Also, I believe that Sessions has both the integrity and the relationship with Trump to be able to say “no” if the president was ever to attempt anything beyond the pale legally. That latter trait is very important IMHO, regardless of party affiliation.
    Sessions is a law-and-order guy, and so is Trump, so it's natural that the see eye to eye on immigration, counterrorism, and law enforcement. But to your point, what's the best case against Sessions that rests on his behavior in the last 20-25 years? Is there anything written about that, perhaps in the local press in your state?

20. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

As a fellow Alabaman, listen to AlliFlowers. You don't want any of our assclowns, although they do seem fitting for this administration.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Astonishing that it was the fact that some of the KKK smoked pot which put him off them, not the murderous lynch-mobs and savage supremacism.

22. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Didn't Hillary Clinton say Robert Byrd was one of her heros? Byrd, a Democrat senator from WV, was once a member of the KKK.

23. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Yup.

24. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

That's a fairly tasteless joke. I guess he really doesn't like pot.

25. vrDrew macrumors 65816

My personal standard for nomination is this: Unless the individual can be shown to be either a criminal or manifestly incompetent to perform the job, then the Senate - including the opposition - should allow the President's nominations to go forward.

As I alluded to earlier, Sessions last nomination process took place in the mid-1980s. I would suggest that both the United States and Senator Sessions have changed greatly in the intervening years.

But from a larger perspective, I think the Democrats would do well to pick their strategy carefully. Resolutely "holding the line" in hopeless battles is rarely effective in the long run. Far better, strategically, to fall back, let one's opponent become isolated from his base, and in an untenable position. Then is the point to counter-attack.

Sessions will have a confirmation hearing. The Democratic members of that committee need to ask Sessions whether he intends to enforce the Civil and Voting Rights laws of the United States. If he answers in the negative (which he realistically cannot) his confirmation is doomed. If he answers in the affirmative, then he has given at least lip-service to a principle that, should he fail to live up to, will greatly strengthen the Democrats chances in 2018 and 2020. Millions of African-American and Latino voters stayed home in 2016. That won't happen in subsequent elections if Trump and the Republicans are seen as carrying out an agenda that is not only inherently racist, but is furthermore contrary to the principles of equality that this nation was founded upon.