Trump claims former Presidents didn't call parents of fallen soldiers

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
At a press conference just now amsweing a question about the 4 soldiers KIA in Niger. It’s been a week and no comment prior to today from Trump.

https://twitter.com/betsy_klein/status/919989940951404544
Trump: "If you look at Pres Obama +other presidents, most of them didn't make calls. A lot of them didn't make calls."
When asked a follow up Trump replied:

https://twitter.com/betsy_klein/status/919990659532115969
"Pres. Obama I think probably did sometimes & maybe he didn't, I don't know, that's what I was told."
“I don't know, that's what I was told” can sum up just about everything Trump says or tweets. Trump says something then when asked for verification he claims he doesn’t know and is just repeating what “someone” told him. Basically don’t blame me I’m just relaying what someone else told me. And I’ll bet no one ever told him that. He just makes stuff up.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2011
New England
At a press conference just now amsweing a question about the 4 soldiers KIA in Niger. It’s been a week and no comment prior to today from Trump.

“I don't know, that's what I was told” can sum up just about everything Trump says or tweets. Trump says something then when asked for verification he claims he doesn’t know and is just repeating what “someone” told him. Basically don’t blame me I’m just relaying what someone else told me. And I’ll bet no one ever told him that. He just makes stuff up.
I don't know how anyone can look at Trump and not see "I have no idea what I'm saying or doing" written on his firehead at this point.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I don't know how anyone can look at Trump and not see "I have no idea what I'm saying or doing" written on his firehead at this point.
He has these tells that are so easy to figure out. Whenever he says “some people have said” or “many people are saying” you can be sure no one said it. Same thing when he says “believe me” after promising to do something. You know not to believe him. Also when he says something that is complete BS and can’t back it up he’ll blame it on some anonymous person and say well that’s what I was told. For as much as his supporters complain about media bias nobody really challenges him on these blatant falsehoods.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
Someone might want to take a moment with him in between tweets and go over presidential protocol. Seriously, how the **** his Press Secretary doesn't look at him and then look at her father and then ask the question if there is a god and if so what kind of sick twisted stunt is he trying to pull.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I honestly believe that Trump has a medical issue that is effecting his mental faculties. The oval office has become an adult daycare center, where everyone around Trump is doing their best to try and keep him contained. I feel sorry for the Executive Officers surrounding Trump, because on the one hand they know he needs to be replaced, but on the other hand, all they can replace him with is Mike Pence. Its a no win situation.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Now Trump’s press secretary is claiming he didn’t misspeak because not every president called every time; sometimes they sent letters, sometimes they visited family in person. What BS. If you read his statement it’s clear he was trying to cover his mistake by smearing his predecessors.

Also it’s a week later and he’s just now getting around to sending letters to the families and will call “at some point”? Even though he’s had time to golf with senators this past weekend??

mudslag

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
Now Trump’s press secretary is claiming he didn’t misspeak because not every president called every time; sometimes they sent letters, sometimes they visited family in person. What BS. If you read his statement it’s clear he was trying to cover his mistake by smearing his predecessors.

Also it’s a week later and he’s just now getting around to sending letters to the families and will call “at some point”? Even though he’s had time to golf with senators this past weekend??

5 times in the last 9 days.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Just a little something to use to pimpslap Trump upside the head.

Even international sources covered this.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/oct/29/barack-obama-soldiers-dover-base

Hell, even the conservative leaning Washington Times covered this.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/oct/29/obama-goes-dover-honor-us-dead/

Even GWB met with the families of fallen soldiers.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-honors-fallen-soldiers/

Hell, it was Obama who lifted the media ban for Dover and paid a visit there himself for the first time in 2009.

http://www.npr.org/2015/05/24/408531645/at-dover-air-force-base-bringing-home-the-fallen-with-grief-and-joy

The question needs to be put up front to him: Has TRUMP ever visited Dover AFB to greet fallen soldiers? If he hasn't, he doesn't have any room to talk about what his predecessors have done, especially since it is well documented about who they were and what they did.

And to say comments like this, he's proving Eminem right, in disrespecting the military. Trump is truly disgracing the office of the POTUS.

BL.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
And to say comments like this, he's proving Eminem right, in disrespecting the military. Trump is truly disgracing the office of the POTUS
Has been since day one. Even more disgraceful now. Trump himself is an utter and total disgrace. He had time to tweet about all manner of things last week...from the NFL to Hillary Clinton, but not a peep about these soldiers. Absolutely pathetic.
The day after the attack in Niger, when White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders offered the administration's "thoughts and prayers" to the friends and families of the dead, Trump was tweeting about the stock market, parroting a dubious attack lineon the Democrat running for governor in Virginia and asking why the Senate Intelligence Committee wasn't "looking into the Fake News Networks in OUR country to see why so much of our news is just made up."
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/16/politics/trump-tweets-ignore/index.html

Seriously, how can anyone support this man still?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
He does have an idea of what he is doing; he is fuelled by a pathological hatred of Barack Obama and what the latter achieved and is determined to wreck it by every means at his disposal. His contempt for the poor, for women and for blacks and Latinos knows no bounds.

That this morally bankrupt, intellectually lazy, vindictive narcissist, racist and misogynist was put forward by the GOP for as a candidate for selection and election ought to be an enduring source of shame.

duffman9000

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
He does have an idea of what he is doing; he is fuelled by a pathological hatred of Barack Obama and what the latter achieved and is determined to wreck it by every means at his disposal. His contempt for the poor, for women and for blacks and Latinos knows no bounds.

That this morally bankrupt, intellectually lazy, vindictive narcissist, racist and misogynist was put forward by the GOP for as a candidate for selection and election ought to be an enduring source of shame.
Whenever I want get into the mind of a Trump supporter I send an inflammatory text to any of my friends that voted for him and the fun is on.

To summarize, he is exactly what they wanted. They rationalize anything he does and blame the Democrats as being no better. I ask what about governing, and they say it’s the Democrats fault for not letting him do what he wants to do. A good braining would probably increase their intelligence.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX

I once might have agreed - insofar as there was a plan (however flawed) in Trumps behavior. These days, however, I think he might be just flailing and/or somewhat incapacitated. It seems incoherent.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
I once might have agreed - insofar as there was a plan (however flawed) in Trumps behavior. These days, however, I think he might be just flailing and/or somewhat incapacitated. It seems incoherent.
Oh, he is perfectly dreadful.

I do believe that there is a weird hatred of Barack Obama somewhere in his sociopathic subconscious - he never forgave a black man (and a cool, dispassionate, intelligent and informed black man) for becoming President.

Recently, I listened to a brief speech given by Mr Obama: Do people here not miss the intelligence, the ability to marshall an argument and express himself eloquently in clear, beautifully wrought, balanced, subtle and intelligent sentences and paragraphs?

You guys had an excellent president, and you allowed your dysfunctional political system to hamstring him - no wonder the US has been downgraded (by the Economist Intelligence Unit in their Democracy Index) from its rating as a "full democracy" to one that is now considered to be a "flawed democracy".

I have long thought that Mr Trump is an out and out misogynist, who deeply dislikes women, but likes the thought of flaunting what are considered attractive women as possessions.

However, until relatively recently, I had not considered him to be a racist, just an appalling man who enabled and protected racists. Now, in the wake of recent events, I do.

The man is a pathological liar, and vindictive racist. He has no concept of any of the human virtues, tolerance, consideration, respect, kindness, decency or dignity.

Last edited:

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Good heavens, I do find Trump to be unbearably tiresome.

How can this man find a way to make an issue out of something like the tragic deaths of US servicepeople? Can he just not leave stuff alone. Does he constantly have to be bragging and lying? Casting disrespect on his predecessors in office? Does Donald ****ing Trump really not think that any prior President might possibly have been a better officeholder than himself?

We still have at least three more years of Trump. And I hope to God that the American people find the good sense, and common decency to throw this revolting bum out of office.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Good heavens, I do find Trump to be unbearably tiresome.

How can this man find a way to make an issue out of something like the tragic deaths of US servicepeople? Can he just not leave stuff alone. Does he constantly have to be bragging and lying? Casting disrespect on his predecessors in office? Does Donald ****ing Trump really not think that any prior President might possibly have been a better officeholder than himself?

We still have at least three more years of Trump. And I hope to God that the American people find the good sense, and common decency to throw this revolting bum out of office.

I hope that he is impeached long before then.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I had to break protocol and perform a cross-topic-quote ... because I _literally_ laughed out loud at this on this fine (and windy!) morning :D

Hillary not only speaks to the parents of fallen soldiers, she lies straight to their faces.

Also, I don't think we should change Godwin's Law. Godwin's Law has a specific meaning, but maybe we need the Clinton Corollary to Godwin's Law.

"Whenever the subject is Donald Trump, as the online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Clinton approaches 1."

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX

Yet another, especially egregious, example of Trump either believing Fake Sources (cough Bannon cough) or making things up.
...and the rare times there is a nugget of fact, he builds a story that is nearly all fake.

[doublepost=1508250021][/doublepost]
Hillary not only speaks to the parents of fallen soldiers, she lies straight to their faces.
At least she actually lies in front of their faces.
For a grieving family, a face to face lie is 100x better than nothing at all.
Trumps attention to GS families have been spotty.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2011
New England

I agree completely, but I don't think those are exclusive - he can be both.

He wants to undo everything Obama did by any means necessary, but he also has no idea what he's doing. Everything decision he makes is completely predictable - if it undoes something Obama did, he opts for that choice regardless of what the consequences or long-term effects are. He isn't thinking anything through, and any time his thinking is questioned it is so obvious he has no idea what he is doing. The healthcare thing is the biggest example. The only aspect he has thought about is undoing Obama;s legacy. Not only has he not considered actual healthcare policy or how to improve the lives of his voters, he doesn't even know how to do that if he wanted.