Trump Comes Out Against Freedom of Religion

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CaptMurdock, Sep 13, 2016.

1. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

At a speech he gave in Baltimore:

“We will be one people, under one God, saluting one American flag,” he said Monday at a speech to the National Guard Association in Baltimore.

Trump’s “under one God” line may sound like boilerplate presidential campaign rhetoric, even if it is a bit, um, Hitlerian. (The Nazi Party slogan was “Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer!” ― or, “One people, one empire, one leader!”)
    A bit Hitlerian?? What does he need now, the little Chaplin mustache?

2. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

This author illustrates why American politics are shiet. Taking a common phrase someone said and making the politician on the other side who uttered it the equivalent of Hitler. ​

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Sorry Trump. I don't believe in either God or saluting the flag.

I'm a bad Amerikan.

4. thermodynamic, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016

thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

You may as well say the same thing about those who say "Under God".

Or those who say "one people, one tribe" - numerous liberal media songs sing about that future as well, just with an optimistic twist instead of the pessimistic one using the same words that you share. So are you against the words or the context?

Also, look up the forefathers' meaning of religious freedom - I bet you real money it had more to do with "Protestant vs Catholic" than "Christianity vs Jewish vs Muslim vs the Roman Gods that they stole from the Greek". One can however infer or imply the forefathers meant every conceived religion from their past, their present, or their future.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2016 ---
    The difference is, you're not a rich and entitled person who makes a living by catching a ball and running around with it, all while thinking you're oppressed despite clearly being rich and entitled for such a simple career choice. If oppression was as bad as claimed, they wouldn't be there, much less rich, much less anything. They pretend nothing has changed since the days of Jackie Robinson, which is clearly not the case.

But here's a question nobody is asking: What sort of country would have all people therein of all colors and creeds be proud to sing such an anthem? Will people want to work together to create a new shiny happy country in moving forward or is everyone content to play this current game that solves nothing, resolves less, only only continues an empty and divisiveness-generating spiral?

5. CaptMurdock thread starter macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

For example?

So you're saying the Founders only meant religious freedom if you happen to be Christian. Jewish, Muslim, Roman god worshippers, atheists, agnostics, pagans, Buddhists and Hindus need not apply. Got it.

What does this have to do with anything?

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Americans have always been Nazis./sarcasm

[​IMG]

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm not sure what current game you think I'm playing. (and I understand you weren't necessarily aiming that statement at me)

But I've always had a job (and am a valued and respected worker), never taken a dime of welfare or unemployment, own a home, married one time (19 years), never arrested (my last moving violation was over 25 years ago), pay my taxes, have a retirement plan, and I vote.

I thought that was the game I'm supposed to be playing. I thought I was fulfilling my social obligation ... despite not feeling like joining a chorus in singing the national anthem.
    I get the sarcasm, but children are the last people who should be pledging loyalty oaths.

8. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

This is just stupidity...And shows a real lack of understanding about what is actually being protested...

And just to be clear, what you're saying is that unless you have experienced something bad firsthand, you aren't allowed to protest?

I guess that makes sense - I'm sick of seeing men blather on and on about abortion, and I'm VERY tired of hearing straight people complain about gay marriage. Also bathrooms. Lots of people complaining about bathrooms recently. Those people are the ones that are truly oppressed!

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Tell me about it. Yet they still say the Pledge in schools today.
    I say bring back Odin, and Viking raids. Maybe genetically engineer up some Saber Tooth tigers and let's give Darwin some more wins.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

meh, just remove warning labels from products & get rid of 90% of lawyers who sue everyone for just about anything. :D

11. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I can't stand public bathrooms, I mean who wants to bath in public?

12. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

speaking of odin i just watched thor 2 yesterday. it was an ok movie. relatively simple plot but decently executed. better than some other comic book movies.

13. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Have you watched Vikings? The theme song alone makes you want to go pillage and plunder.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

no stalls or shower curtains in boot camp, keep your eyes above waist level and you will be ok :p
    good series, even the women kick ass :D

15. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

haha i dont watch the show, but i know the intro. its a pretty awesome intro
    yeah i wouldn't be surprised if viking society was somewhat based on spartan society from ancient greece. in sparta the women were warriors too which is awesome.

but not that i totally idolize spartan society or anything if someone people take that the wrong way.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

They did that in the crappy movie Starship Troopers.

[​IMG]
    Just kidding I liked that movie.

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I'll put it bluntly.

**** trump, his fake sky fairy, and all the rest of the American Christian Taliban.

19. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Right, how tolerant. Lemme know when the beheadings start.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

So is this just part 2 of wooing the evangelicals and we can go back to sleep, or is this a serious policy proposal? So hard to tell with what Trump puts out there on any given day.

If he actually means it, then it's time for, say an American Hindu to stand up and straighten him out. Let's see... someone persuasive enough to make Trump want to take the meeting...

(nominates Hawaii's Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, that should fix THAT)​

21. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Ahh, the typical token "tolerance" response from a supporter of the ticket that wants to turn this country into a **** hole christian theocracy and force their magical beliefs down everyone's throat. That's rich.

Let me know when the christians start tolerating those who don't believe in their cult and then maybe there'd be something to discuss.

22. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Sure, I'll have to find a Christian to ask.

23. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Hope you are not looking for someone to object.

The principles that founded this nation, and the religious freedom that the founders used to create this great nation, does not prohibit you from being an atheist, whether you accept those principles or not.

You also have a right to not salute the flag,

24. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

If the founders intended to worship the flag over all else, they'd be no different from worshipping a king.

Your adherence to a cloth or a symbol is paltry and hilarious.

25. zioxide, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2016

zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Wouldn't attacking people for exercising their constitutional rights also be disrespectful?