Trump compares himself to 9/11

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Apr 24, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I've gotta admit, this is perhaps one of the most disgusting things I've heard out of Donald Trump's mouth yet. He's crowing about his TV ratings yet again, this time from an appearance on "Face the Nation". He's come up with an inventive new way to describe how totally awesome they are:

“It's the highest for 'Face the Nation' or as I call it, 'Deface the Nation,' " Trump told the AP's Julie Pace, referring to the CBS News Sunday political talk show. “It's the highest for 'Deface the Nation' since the World Trade Center — since the World Trade Center came down.”​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rade-center-came-down/?utm_term=.83cd5a8513a9

This guy has no boundaries.

2. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Yeah, he doesn't have any boundaries. That's why when they go low, I go even lower. I warned a friend not to provoke me a few months ago but he didn't heed the warning. I made him cry as I demolished his so called republican principles.

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

So his ratings on that show were as high as they were for the show after 9/11.

Is that really comparing himself to 9/11?

4. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

But is what he said true?

5. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

To be honest, talking about what Trump "says" is boring and pointless. It's better to focus on what Trump does (or what he doesn't do, as is in most cases).

As far as I can see, he hasn't even come close to fulfilling any of his campaign promises except for paying lip service to a few via completely ineffective executive orders.

He hasn't pushed through a single piece of legislation. He has so far only stirred up foreign military tensions, putting us all in more danger. And all his proposals so far would be awful for the middle class. He does golf and eat chocolate cake a lot though. These are things we can talk about.

But Trump saying something idiotic is old news. Let us know when he manages to say something that isn't totally stupid.

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I try to avoid personal jokes about the president, but man oh man am I going to make myself a big 'ol bowl of popcorn and watch late night tv tonight...

7. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I can see him now touting illegal deportation numbers at the end of the year..... "numbers were huuuuge, 11 million illegals deported, incredible........ that's more than the 6 million who died during the holocaust........ think about it."

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Historically, 70% of what Trump says is not true. So it's fair to assume this is not true, until proven otherwise.

9. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

In the sense that "Hey! I would get more ratings than you would, even if you were to murder 3000 people!", yes, he is indeed comparing himself to 9/11.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The bolded part doesn't bother me. The rest of it does, although I agree with you that Trump saying something stupid is not really news.

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

He's disgusting as usual. But here's the part I don't get:

1. Why a 70 year old man resorts to the immature name calling of a four year old
    2. Why he appears on something if it is so bad (which it's not)?

These things don't make sense.

12. citizenzen, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017

citizenzen macrumors 65816

This one doesn't bother me that much. It's simply a tasteless reference. It's pretty much the least asinine thing that trump has said in ages. Things are looking up for us all. :cool:

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm more chagrined about Trump's telling a wounded U.S. Army vet "congratulations" for earning a Purple Heart after the veteran, U.S. Sgt. 1st Class Alvaro Barrientos, was wounded in Afghanistan.

This is just the kind of misstep that would have had Republicans sharpening their knives a few months earlier, but now the shear fatuousness just floats along.

14. chown33 macrumors 604

He's basically claiming he's a bigger disaster than 9/11.

And people are disagreeing with him?

Really?

15. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Ratings during 9/11 are nothing to brag about IMO. That's probably the last time both sides were nice to each other.

16. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I'm calling BS on this. I find it hard to believe you made a grown man cry.

17. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Oh he wept and doesn't want to talk to me anymore. I warned him not to troll m because he didn't understand what he was dealing with. I will retaliate without mercy.

And I did. I used every and anything he has ever told me in friendly conversations. My favorite was the typical conservative line where "they made it on their own". Oh that was wonderful ammunition.

18. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

<sigh>There used to be some class to the POTUS...and that's saying something after B.Clinton. Trumps ego is cashing checks that will bounce. Douche.<sigh>

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

And if it were, what would that be -- classy? Or the pitiful, chronic shouts of "LOOOOK AT MEEEEEE!" from an insecure man-child?

Yeah, that "congrats" raised a lot of eyebrows around the internet. Another example of Donald being tactful. He has the best words, you know.

20. samcraig, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017

samcraig macrumors P6

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It's 2017. What kind of mind when reaching out in the heat of the moment for a comparison to big ratings reaches for viewership of 9/11.

22. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

The
    Tasteless trump mind the guy is the king of Tasteless.

23. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

You sound so kewl. Can we be e-friends now that you've pwned that other guy?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 25, 2017 ---
    Exactly.

This is what's so baffling about this thread. Trump, once again, gives us examples of his complete immaturity with childish name calling and obsessing over his own popularity...and we're trying to make some wild logical leaps to suggest he's comparing himself to 9/11? o_O

24. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Three thousand American citizens are murdered. Trump boasts that you'd need to do something even more spectacular than that to beat his ratings.

This is completely kosher to you? Seems to me like something a Hollywood bad-guy would say.

25. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Only if you're looking for a bad guy.

I get it, you don't like him. I don't either. But does he really need his words contorted to make him look like a moron? Seems to me that he does a fine job of that on his own.