Trump conflicts of interest thread

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stylinexpat, May 7, 2017.

1. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Don't care. Way more important things to care about.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Is he running the business or event? Is everything with his last name on it supposed to be closed for business? Did Kushner have these types of events prior to someone in their family gaining a position at the WH? I don't see many of these questions answered, with a net worth in the billions I find it hard to believe that this is the first event that this company held internationally.

3. Huntn, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

You should and while your at it, wonder about the motivations behind every decision he makes. He and the GOP are trying to give the wealthy a huge tax break at the expense of average citizens, while Trump with a gleam in his eye, tells his suckers how health care is getting better and better.

Where is that trash can, so I can puke? :oops:

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yes, but things change once you and family are in charge of the government. Or at least they should. I assume that you think people in government shouldn't be doing things and passing laws that benefit or favor themselves in some way, right?

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

First of all, wouldn't this if anything be the Kushner conflict of interest thread? So Jared Kushner is breaking ethical laws because his sister, part of the Kushner family real estate mogul promoted immigration visas for investing hundreds of thousands of dollars or more under a currently legal and longstanding visa program? I don't necessarily think these programs are fair, but they exist in many countries. Somehow I feel like this is probably a common marketing ploy amongst real estate developers. Unless there is actually evidence that EB-5 Visas are being disproportionately given to Kushner investors over other projects, then I don't see what the story is. The article even states Trump is critical of the visa program and "The potential investors were advised to invest sooner rather than later in case visa rules change under the Trump administration." The article does not really prove a conflict of interest in my mind, but does highlight the unprecedented challenges caused by absurdly wealthy people with global business interests running the country.

What is more striking to me is yet another questionably or subtlety anti-semitic thread by the @stylinexpat. Maybe I'm just crazy but everything thats bad in the world is either Jewish/Israeli or is analogous to being Jewish/Israeli. Coming from the guy who believes anti-semitism is a word kidnapped by the Jewish people and therefore has no meaning. These are the past 5 consecutive threads he's started.

1) This thread- The Kushner family are Jewish, so they must be greedy and untrustworthy. How about Clinton's conflict of interests back in the day?
    2) Trump is the new puppet President in America - "Trump must show Palestinian president that US has Israel's back" (Shame on the US for not backing essentially a terrorist state)
    3) FXCM fined $7 Million Dollars for taking positions against clients - "parent FXCM Holdings LLC and founding partners Dror Niv and William Ahdout to pay $7 million to settle charges" (Random article I'm not sure why was posted... BUT the two men involved are both Jewish)
    4) Trump sets record for lowest ratings - "I reckon they will drop further. We do not need a Netanyahu or Duarte in America." (Because Duarte and Netanyahu are basically the same person :rolleyes:)
    5) Fox News News Reports - "Fox News has reporters these days like they were pulled straight out of a Likud government party in Israel. Seems like at Fox News only certain parties can be bashed." (Because Fox is the only biased news source and only the Likud is the only government party that spins their own stories)

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Kushners family isn't in charge of the government. Unless you can prove that Jared was directly involved in this event which promotes a program that was here before Trump took office then I don't see a conflict. They didn't start their business 100 days ago.

7. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

That's just the front of a Trumpeter's t-shirt.

The back says...

Not that it matters, we won't address those either.

8. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

I just can't take comments like that seriously when the Democrats do exactly the same thing.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Really now. But most accounts the ACA was a move in the right direction, other than coming from Republicans whom believe government should have no role in mitigating a health care system out of control. In essence they don't want to represent their people, just big business, even if the health system is on the road to collapse, even if a large portion of our citizens can't afford it. Toasts to profits are in order, until the whole mess comes crashing down. Now that's leadership. :rolleyes: :eek:

10. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

But the ACA was good for big business too. I wish Obama regulated that people purchase products that my industry generates!

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The entire system from health, to insurance, to legal needs an overhaul and I don't believe those in charge want to fix anything. And when they are once again the minority, they will be busy, doing what they do best, making distorted arguments against it, throwing up roadblocks and appealing to their base's fears. :(

12. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

The democrats don't want to really change anything either, which is why we have Obamacare and not single-payer.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My understanding was that single payer would have been more of a fight, and from the other side the rhetoric would have been identical if not worse. Hence the description of the ACA as a step. Much more needs to be done.

14. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

And?

Single-payer is the goal. Anything less than that is a failure to meet that goal.

I'm also curious about what we'll do with the health insurance industry. I suspect that if we nationalize healthcare we'll have a lot of people losing jobs. We need to account for that going forward.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I edited my previous post.

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

it is the goal but man the far right would scream bloody murder. even if it did not cost more the idea of insuring poor people is horrible to them. we are way to divided to do somethings practical.

17. darksithpro macrumors regular

It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to see what he's trying to do. However most of these "average citizens" work for the big, bad evil companies you're talking about. By lowering corporate gains tax and other expenditures that creates more sustainable job growth in America and less outsourcing. This is why Bernie's logic makes no sense. If you tax the crap out of the wealthy people and their companies and give tax breaks only to the poor then no one with wealth is going to want to invest in your country and the ones already here will say screw this tax system and simply leave to another country. This is very simple to understand, and it boggles the mind why Liberals have such a hard time understanding simple Economics. Surely Venezuela has been a failed experiment.

18. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

does it really work your talking the trickle down effect that has proven not to work. just because a business makes more money does not mean they will spend it on anything but profit. Business will only hire more workers if they have a demand for product not because they have more money. but f you help poor people out they go out and spend that money and those businesses actually have more sales.

19. appleisking macrumors 6502a

We don't need to go that far. A public option Medicare for all system and the private sector for those who wants the most extensive coverage is all we need.

20. darksithpro macrumors regular

You help poor people out by finding them a good job. If there are no jobs to be had then they remain poor and the government needs to keep feeding them until the money runs out. Tax breaks to companies increases desire for them to make more money, thus more job growth to sell more products, resulting in more people getting off welfare and being less poor.

21. appleisking macrumors 6502a

I wish we would do tax cuts with caveats. Money has to be spent on business reinvestment and hiring not executive bonuses.

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

You are making assumptions, that have in some cases already proven to be false. The desire to maximize profits overides all other considerations. And trickle down is an argument for the gullible in these times of greed.
    --- Post Merged, May 7, 2017 ---
    Large companies have already illustrated their desire to outsource and hord profits versus investing them in their business.

23. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

Not necessarily. Much of Medicare is run by private companies.

24. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Sure but those things need to stop if they are private for-profit companies.
    --- Post Merged, May 7, 2017 ---
    So our job is to explain why this is the best way to go about things.