Trump continues to cuddle up to the Democrats.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Sep 13, 2017.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What is Trump's end game here, make nice with the Democrats only to pull the rug out under them. Or telling the Republicans to go to hell. Or was this Trump's game plan all along?
    http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/350584-trump-steps-up-courtship-of-dems

2. Zenithal, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

Zenithal macrumors G3

He must have gotten the memory that the current GOP has no real goals. That said, anyone catch the presser this morning on Fox News? Especially Paul Ryan's poster fumble and multiple "dude" outbursts in a row?

One random thing to note is Hicks recently retained a very expensive law firm as personal counsel. Which I thought was odd because she should be clean as a whistle compared to the rest of them.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Or perhaps Trump is taking a page out of Ryan's playbook, listening to a little Killing in the Name of from Rage Against the Machine, and yelling at him, "**** you, I won't do what you tell me!"

(and yes, that is one of the lyrics).

BL.

4. Zenithal macrumors G3

You lost me. Trump never listens to anyone. I added this to my post but I guess you quoted me before I added it in.

One random thing to note is Hicks recently retained a very expensive law firm as personal counsel. Which I thought was odd because she should be clean as a whistle compared to the rest of them.

Let's not bring up Paul Ryan's musical tastes up, or his fascination with spandex aided 80s workouts. I'm still trying to get rid of the mental image from 2012 out of my head.

5. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The cynic in me wonders if this is a play to lower the Democrats guard and then strike. Or he really is ready to work with them and tell the Republicans to screw. Or will this be his game plan, play each side against each other and follow the side that fits his mood.

6. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

I think the key phrase from OP's article is this:

He's Shopping For A Yes. He can't make a mark siding with his (nominally) own party, so he's looking to reach across the aisle to keep from being the sort of Footnote President that Franklin Pierce and Chester Arthur have been doomed to be.

7. Zenithal macrumors G3

He's working with Pelosi. She's dug into him like a wolf to a rabbit.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Good for him. As said a few time republicans are pretty worthless

9. 0007776 Suspended

Exactly, he wants to leave a legacy, that is the only thing that can satisfy his ego. He has probably realized that the Republicans are incapable of governning so he has to go with the Democrats if he wants to do something meaningful.

10. Tech198 macrumors G5

At one stage, your always gonna be "friends" with others just to get what you want. I agree,, 'pullin' the rug' works just as well.

11. kobalap macrumors 6502

All I can say is, WTF? This is all on you Trump supporters. All on you. We needed a Republican in the White House but instead, you gave us this orange buffoon.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Trump wants to make deals, and he doesn't care who he makes them with. If he can find 30/30 split common sense people in the Senate and gets some **** done thats better than doing nothing with the fringe loonies.

13. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

This.
    No one anywhere should trust him.
    Our allies certainly have gotten the message.

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Honestly I don't see anything bad with what is happening (of course we don't know the full picture yet).
    Congress has been dysfunctional for years of not decades, mainly due to stupid bitching and primadonnas. If he can get a split from each party to actually do things so be it, even if I don't like something that they might do.

15. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I've gotta admit, if I wanted to choose a single man who personified the terms "stupid bitching" and "primadonna", there is one obvious candidate. But that man is not in Congress...

16. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

The Republicans on Capital Hill have pretty much disowned him. He can't stand any of them. Chuck, Nancy and Donald have been getting along pretty well lately. I know on social media a lot of Trumpsters heads are about to explode.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

18. 0007776 Suspended

It's going to be a lot of fun to watch, but I bet most of his hard core supporters would change parties if Trump told him to. The ones that are going to get upset are the other 2/3rds of the Republican Party who he conned into believing that he was a Republican.

Personally I still think Trump is a despicable human being, and I don't think there is anything he could do to get me to vote for him in 2020, but I'll be happy if he gets some bipartisanship going in Washington.

19. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

You know damned well that the democrats are doing this to troll the republicans hard. They might know it's just lip service from Trump but I don't think they care as long as they stick it to turtle face and boy wonder.

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

It's me, is it ???? ;););)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Republican congressmen should just flog themselves. The fact that they weren't able to repeal Obamacare (their most important promise) not even a tiny bit is proof of their idiocy. Honestly, as much as I despise Pelosi, Trump is doing the right thing. I am well beyond pissed that the government - especially congress - is basically not working at all.

21. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

The Democrats have been doing a fine job trolling the Republicans just by keeping themselves together as a solid block. This is something quite different; by making agreements with Trump, they are sticking their necks out and making Trump look reasonable.

I think this actually gives Ryan and McConnell a bit more strength in managing their party; up to now, the far right has felt empowered, and willing to go to great lengths to impose their will. If they begin to realize that they may be bypassed altogether, they may begin to act more willing to work with party leadership.

22. Zenithal macrumors G3

What a waste of wood. Tut tut. They could throw themselves off a cliff. Provide nourishment for nature.

23. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Didn't mean to lose you. I was being a bit sarcastic, as Ryan is a huge RaTM fan, yet doesn't understand that he is part of the very machine that the band is raging against.

And by Ryan, that could also allude to him being the mouthpiece for the majority in the House, as he's Speaker of the House. If Trump is supposed to be working with those he has in his "party", and his "party" has control over both chambers, Trump is giving both of them the finger by working with the Blues instead of his "party".

Hence the alluding to Killing in the Name Of, with "**** you, I won't do what you tell me!" ;)

BL.

24. kobalap macrumors 6502

Why is this all of a sudden the Republicans' fault?

The Democrats in congress have done absolutely nothing to help fix the healthcare disaster that was brought about by Obamacare. All they have done is obstruct any kind of proposal to fix the healthcare mess. Now, they get rewarded by Trump for their obstruction? And the Republicans in congress who have worked tirelessly to fix the health care mess should flog themselves?

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Please source this "obstruction" that has been done. BTW: Repeal and Replace is not a fix. A fix isn't something you completely destroy and try to replace with something that is worse. So, please source the "obstruction" the Blues have done.

Besides, there were even a fair number of Reds that voted against the so-called "replacement", yet only the Blues were "obstructing." :rolleyes:

BL.