Trump creates red line on North Korea

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Rogifan Suspended

Rogifan

2. darksithpro macrumors regular

What do Democrats propose? Would you rather wait until the situation gets worse, perhaps when the Democrats are in office? Can shift the blame game.

3. Rogifan thread starter Suspended

Rogifan

I’m not a Democrat so I have no idea what they propose.

4. darksithpro macrumors regular

Well, what do you propose then? Any good solutions?

5. Rogifan thread starter Suspended

Rogifan

Put the screws to China, Iran and Russia and starve the regime of money, equipment, technology, food, whatever.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thus guaranteeing war. I mean, desperate nations never lash out in their desperation right? :rolleyes:

Give the regime what it wants, to be left the **** alone.

7. darksithpro macrumors regular

So far that's not working and every day the North Koreans are advancing their ICBM program. What do you do if sanctions ultimately fails?

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Realize what our military assessments have been saying for literally decades. North Korea's military posture is singularly focused on regime preservation. Full stop.

That is to say, their military is not equipped nor positioned for anything other than slowing an invasion to force diplomatic talks.

Why are they building nukes? Because they learned from other countries (particularly Pakistan) that if you have nukes the USA can't just invade you and Regime Change your ass out of here. It's an entirely rational posture.

9. Rogifan thread starter Suspended

Rogifan

There are no good options. But have we really put the screws to those countries to do something? Does China really feel pressure? I don’t think so.

10. LordVic macrumors 601

To be honest, I have no real idea how we can de-escalate this situation while the cult of personality surrounds the Kim family and they rule the country with an iron fist, and keep the populace poor, starving and in the dark with how the rest of the world looks.

It's time to enlighten the people of NK. show them how their lives could benefit by getting rid of the Kim dynasty. Time to ramp up the propaganda machine. Just imagine, if both Left and Right winged media could agree and work together at a combined effort against NK media and (somehow get them to see it), it might actually help change the peoples mind.

but then again, Kim Jong Un has shown he's not above executing dissenters in public and horrific fashion to prove a point

11. darksithpro macrumors regular

Didn't china come out and say it's not up to them to fix the problem? Also Trump said in tweets china should fix this and got ridiculed for it.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 8, 2017 ---

You mean Kim Jong Un.

12. Rogifan thread starter Suspended

Rogifan

It is their responsibility because they’re North Korea’s sugar daddy. And Trump was ridiculed f0rmsayig this in tweets. You don’t make serious foreign policy statements via tweet.

Of course every now and then Trump does get it right:

[​IMG] Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)
    8/31/13, 4:46 AM
    Be prepared, there is a small chance that our horrendous leadership could unknowingly lead us into World War III.

13. LordVic macrumors 601

Correct! Thanks! brain went back 20 years.

14. darksithpro macrumors regular

Right, because a broken clock is right twice a day?:rolleyes:

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

While I'm not a democrat I tend to agree with them more than with the Republicans my suggestion would be to take the same path we took with china. Open up to them, as much as their government allows flood their markets with western goods and turn them into capitalists even if they don't admit it and still claim to be communist like the a Chinese do.

16. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

Good to have a stable leader in both countries..... what could possible go wrong.

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I see you repeatedly ask others that, but I don't see you offering up solutions of your own. What do you propose?

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

"Fire and Fury", eh? I had wondered what name he gave to his Twitter thumbs.

19. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I'm for not threatening to shoot first in a nuclear showdown. Is anyone but the president confused about the whole "don't threaten the crazy guy with a bomb" rule?

20. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

NK gets a lot of money from the black market drugs and other things they make and sell. How would we stop that?

21. darksithpro macrumors regular

Collateral damage to SK cities would be inevitable, but repairable and replaceable. I say evacuate SK citizens in the northern cities to the south, Form a coalition with Japan and SK, launch a full scale air/sea/ground bombardment and ground invasion, take out air bases, artillery emplacements, also take out all government structures and the elitists estates. Kim will flee. Thousands will probably die, but it will be for the greater good long term, meaning more will be safe long term.

22. LordVic macrumors 601

Doesn't that require "our" side not being manned by the crazy guy with the bomb too?

23. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Evacuate northern SK?!?! You might as well telegraph NK "Use 'em or lose 'em". Millions will die. Not thousands.

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

What if NK can get a nuke to the southern portion of SK where you have evacuated everyone to? Can he even get conventional weapons there now?

25. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Simply not possible on any scale.
    NK controls all media and internet access. Propaganda on the scale required to "enlighten" the people of NK is all but impossible.
    Overcoming decades of anti U.S. programming is no easy feat.