Trump deportation wave may lead to increased joblessness, violence, income loss for Mexico

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DrewDaHilp1, Nov 15, 2016.

1. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

On election night, Canada's immigration site crashed. Now some are realizing that Mexico might have to deal with what America has been dealing with if Trump sticks to his deportation promises. So people do understand the issues?

Link.

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Fixing Mexico is up to Mexico.
    I am glad to lend a hand if they ask, but it's not a duty of the US to help Mexico. The era of policing the world is over.

3. JohnGrey macrumors 6502

JohnGrey

Do you understand the issues? It is not the obligation of the government of the United States to decrease the joblessness of a separate sovereign nation, and even if it were it would not be so long as a single American citizen that wants a job remains out of work. All I ever heard out of progressives during the campaign was that Trump was slandering and demeaning illegal aliens by calling them criminals, when in fact that is an accurate statement. Even if they never commit a single other crime whilst here, they are here illegally. That may not matter to you, but to those that believe that laws are not suggestions that may be discarded when they make some of us feel badly, that is dangerously corrosive to the fabric of society because it asserts that, depending your ethnicity or your gender or your personal politics, there are separate enforceable codes of law. The inevitable result of that is conflict of a far less civil stripe that we saw in the run-up to November.

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

erm... I pretty sure that Drew thinks about the issue this way...

5. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Mexico is a direct neighbour. I think it'll be in America's self-interest that it somewhat stays stable / doesn't fail completely. Because even a sky-high wall may help you less than you've thought in that case.

Deporting those illegal immigrants back to Mexico and thinking that it solved the problem is a bit short-sighted. As usual the issue is complex and complicated.

6. JohnGrey macrumors 6502

JohnGrey

My response was directed at the content of the article, not at him personally. If he believes that it was directed at him and it doesn't apply, I will apologise of course.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 15, 2016 ---
    Stable? If it were stable, millions wouldn't be streaming here illegally looking for work. If it were stable, the billions in remittances sent back there wouldn't be vital to its functioning. If it were stable, huge swaths of the country wouldn't belong to the cartels. All of these statements are true, so I do not accept, on a rational level, that the country can be described as stable. Therefore, if the President-Elect enacts his policies (which I do not believe he will because I don't trust him to keep his word), nothing will have changed except that there will be further employment overhead by which the US jobless rate will go down, and we will have an enforceable physical barrier on our southern border.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Until they fix their socio-political system there is no direct way for us to help. When you have a chief of police murdered an hour after he/she is sworn in there is little to do other than to keep 'em outside.
    I am starting to believe that Mexico needs a serious dictatorship, as much as I ideologically dislike it.

8. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

:rolleyes:

Great reply. That's why I wrote, additionally since I know you guys, "... or fail completely". But yea, I'll leave you to it. Have a nice day.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The issue is easy to understand: the present importation wave leads to increased joblessness, violence, and loss for Americans in America.

Of course Mexico is spreading FUD; mass illegal immigration to the U.S. offers the Mexican elite an easy alternative to reform. They don't want to do any heavy lifting themselves.

10. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Why are people continuing to believe that these silly ideas Trump had during his presidency. Paul Ryan already said a mass deportation force is not happening. Trump has also walked back his idea of deporting all 11m immigrants to 2m immigrants with criminal records.

Given the amount of craziness gapping with Trumps election I imagine it would start a civil war to start deporting "innocent" illegal immigrants. Political suicide. Both sides recognize that.

So I'm not sure why so many people and news souces continue to blatantly overlook the changes the man have made in his policy. He's probably going to hardline the ACA and economy.

As much as I don't like the guy, you at least need to listen to what the changes are he's making with his own policy.

11. JohnGrey, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016

JohnGrey macrumors 6502

JohnGrey

Precisely, it's Mexico's Mariel boatlift. Through one policy, or 'non-policy' as may be, they:

1.) Decrease competition in Mexico for low-paying unskilled jobs
    2.) Decrease government expenditure for benefits
    3.) Decrease the size of the base that, being dissatisfied with the Mexican government's policies, are the most in danger of engaging in lawlessness and civil unrest
    4.) Allowing for the quiet redistribution of violent offenders to a place which advertises far greater tolerance for their behaviour, thereby decreasing recidivism domestically
    5.) Further decrease government benefit expenditures through the billions in remittances that are transferred back to Mexico from illegals.

It's a stroke of political genius. It's also a disgusting tactic that is unbefitting of a country that purports to be our friend and neighbour, only one of which is true.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 15, 2016 ---
    We're not discussing Trump; in my previous statement I said openly that I do not believe he will enforce or seek to pass a single one of his campaign promises. What I am saying is that if the open contempt for the rule of law and national sovereignty continues, there are a great many well-armed red staters out there that, having absolutely nothing to lose and firmly believing that they have no lawful recourse, will do the government's job in a far more terrible way.

I don't want that, and neither should anyone else, but it will happen. It's a matter of historical record that discontent with immigrant populations during periods of economic depression, and left unaddressed legislatively, devolves into violence.