Trump Deporting Iraqi Christians After Saying They Needed Refuge

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Jun 15, 2017.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

When you speak about needing to create a special class of refugees it behooves you not to send them back to face almost certain death or persecution. This man and his ICE goons are out of control, trying to out deport everyone and break Obama's record. And arresting these people as they gather for church? Disgusting.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/iraqi-christians-face-apos-death-200731868.html

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

stupid, send them back to a country that will take them.

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Rethink that one.

Sending an Iraqi Christian back to Mosul, now a scene of chaotic effort to dislodge ISIS, because of some decades-old misdemeanor charge like getting drunk as a hotheaded youth and getting 86'd out of a bar or littering the sidewalk or something? Makes no sense. Past that, it may be a death sentence. Immoral to stick a capital punishment on some misdemeanor charge which may even have been handed out to an immigrant for no particular reason anyway.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

SEND them to Europe..........

5. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I always thought Obama did far too little to help Mid East christians who were getting slaughtered. I'm not a fan of this move by Trump. I'd be fine with an equal enforcement of the travel ban but these people were already here.

If see christians have to go back then hey should send back all the refugees.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

They were allowed in as refugees. They're here, settled into community; they were going to church... review the cases (sans detention); make a path for them to stay.

7. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Make them US citizens and them send them to Paris as liberals.

8. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

So it appears some are criminals. "Many of the detained are facing years-old charges and some having not committed any crimes in the past two or three decades, CNN reported". I don't care what religion you are, what 3rd World hell hole you'll be deported to, don't commit crimes follow the law and don't get deported.

9. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Hmm. I think I'd have to take it on a case by case basis. Depends on the crime. Are they throwing out rapists or are they tossing out dudes who got busted for possession 30 years ago?

10. zin Suspended

They should submit an application through the proper channels. If they are there illegally then they cannot expect to be taken to the front of the queue. Due to judicial overreach the U.S. is still accepting tens of thousands of refugees. If that is the reality then there are thousands of others waiting to get in LEGALLY.

If they're breaking the law and did not go through the proper channels then they should be deported.

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The ACLU has intervened via class action petition and motion for temporary restraining order.

After the ACLU filed a class-action petition and a motion for a temporary restraining order on behalf of the Iraqis on Thursday, the government set a hearing for Wednesday afternoon and confirmed that deportations would not be allowed to begin until next Friday at the earliest, Rana Elmir, the deputy director of the ACLU of Michigan, told HuffPost.

At the hearing next Wednesday, the detainees will have a chance to tell a judge their fears about what they could face in the war-torn nation, including torture and violent religious persecution, and the judge will have the opportunity to halt the deportations pending further legal proceedings.

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

I do find it odd that it's perceived as bad to send Iraqi christians back to be slaughtered but the same level of sympathy is not stretched to Iraqi muslims under the same fate. Why the bias?

13. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

What if the crimes were something crazy like "denying Islam" or speaking against Mohamed"? Is that still a crime?

14. darksithpro macrumors regular

On the contrary. By sending back Iraqi Christians it proves he's not targeting Muslims specifically. It means he doesn't want bad hombres coming in from war torn parts of the ME.

15. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

It might have something to do with the wave of muslim terorism that's been washing over the world as of late. Just a guess.

16. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

But I thought that Islam was the religion of peace and has a tremendous track record of peacefully co-existing with other faiths? Wouldn't their Muslims brothers welcome them back with open arms?

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

US crimes. They are facing deportation because of broken US law.

18. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Oh. Ship me out. And all the other illegals we have in prison. Get em all out of here.

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I don't think that's at issue here really; the biggest roundup in question was staged at an Assyrian church the Iraqi Christians attend, so Christians are mostly who got picked up. The ACLU certainly doesn't only appeal against deportation back to dangerous situations for Christians.

More from that cited piece:

Both the Obama and Trump administrations, along with Congress, have declared the persecution of Christians in Iraq a “genocide” ― suggesting the U.S. has some responsibility to help.

Advocates like Nathan Kalasho, an activist who runs a popular charter school in the area, discussed the feeling of betrayal but avoided drawing sectarian lines: “This is not just a Christian matter,” Kalasho told HuffPost on Wednesday.

Shiite Muslims and members of the small Yazidi community ISIS has targeted were among those arrested in Michigan and other states, the ACLU statement said.

The ACLU petition named seven individuals: five Christian Iraqis who were brought to the U.S. as children and two Shiite Muslims, one of whom arrived here as a refugee at age 19. It blasts ICE for holding the petitioners in Ohio, miles from their families.

Most members of the detained group entered the U.S. legally and then lost their legal status because of criminal convictions. Despite receiving removal orders, they remained in the United States because Iraq declined to issue travel documents for most Iraqis who received orders of deportation, the ACLU’s petition noted.

20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

I wasn't talking about Trump, more the views on this thread.
    Like this. I shouldn't be surprised.

21. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Well, it looks like the Iraqi's are safe for the moment. A judge has blocked Trump's deportation of them. Hope this is a spreading phenomenon, where deportations are concerned. They've been doing the same thing to other nationalities for a while now and it needs to stop.

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/33...deportation-of-more-than-100-iraqi-christians

22. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Why should it stop? They're criminals in this country. The agreement was they are allowed in as long as they are law abiding. Once they broke laws they were deportable.

23. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Many of these so called crimes were misdemeanors and victimless crimes, like drug possession or the like. Most of these people are not violent felons and don't deserve a death sentence.

24. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The stipulations were clear. Break the law you may face deportation. "Victimless" crimes or not. The US isn't issuing them a death sentence. The US is deporting them to their country of origin.

25. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Thankfully, the judge and the ACLU don't agree with your particular point of view.