Trump disavows Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Jul 9, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

This just in: Donald Trump has stated unequivocally that the very idea of a joint US-Russia Cyber Security unit is nonsense:

Screenshot from 2017-07-09 21-18-00.png

So, where did this odd concept originate? Hmm...

Screenshot from 2017-07-09 21-19-18.png

So... Trump was just shooting the breeze with Putin about something that can't happen? Does he like to waste time discussing useless projects when he meets with other international leaders?

2. samcraig macrumors P6

I'm sure Putin is going to love that tweet

3. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Lotta little typos. I forget... does that mean he's back ON the meds or OFF them?

4. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

This makes me think of those types who sit in meetings and think their only job in those meetings is to shoot down other people ideas with farcical versions of the same idea. When you ask them when they can implement it, they say ‘oh that wasn’t a serious suggestion, it’s just another alternative to what was being discussed.’ < The most useless people on the planet.

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No, Trump is just a stupid clueless individual who thought it could happen. His Treasure Secretary even went on a Sunday talk show to sing the plan's praises (cyber security is at 3:45 mark in video):

http://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-...security-unit-with-russia-earns-mixed-reviews

Yeah, an "accomplishment" that was abandoned a mere 13 hours later. How significant! Yet another cabinet member cut off at the knees and thrown under the bus making them look stupid and foolish.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You can talk about the possibility of doing something without committing to it.

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

When i read the headline. Somehow I assumed you were referring to the latest story that Donald Trump Junior met with a Soviet lawyer in Trump Tower with the intentions of collecting dirt on Hilary Clinton. He admitted this on Sunday but on Saturday he had a different story and in March he denied ever meeting any Russians. Donald Senior has now indicated he Knew nothing about this meeting.

More Intrigue. if that is not collusion what is.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

He backtracked because he was called out on it - big league.

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Sure. But that's not how it was framed. It was framed as a "significant accomplishment".

10. samcraig macrumors P6

11. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Well, sure! But, you know, it'd be nice for the leader of our country to spend the few minutes he has face-to-face with leaders of another country talking about topics that will make a difference to both countries, rather than shooting the breeze about projects that he thinks "can't happen". (Of course, that is assuming that he actually thought this project couldn't happen; Trump seems to think the world of Putin, and probably did believe that a joint operation would be successful.)

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You mean like a cease fire in southern Syria?

13. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Yeah! Just think about what else he could have accomplished, if the time spent talking about American elections had instead been used to discuss, say, North Korea! Getting Russia on board to increase pressure on them would have been a far better use of his time...

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Maybe he was building dialog with Putin. Contrary to leftist belief they don't know each other.

15. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Hmm. I don't understand why he'd want to use this opportunity for that; face-to-face meetings between heads of state are fairly rare. It seems odd to want to waste time shooting the breeze when you've only got a few minutes total to communicate with each other.

Here's my question, though: I don't think Trump really understands technology sufficiently to come up with an idea like a joint Cyber Security unit all by himself. I don't really believe his underlings would have come up with such an idea either; certainly, I would have expected a trial balloon of such an out-of-left-field idea before the meeting. Perhaps this was a concept thrown out by Putin, that Trump latched onto? (And what other ideas might Putin have put forward?)

16. samcraig macrumors P6

I wonder if Trump had a map of the electoral college and spend time talking to Putin about his win. I wonder how much time Trump spend whining about unfair treatment in the press. I mean - those two topics alone could have been the bulk of the time they spend capped with a "oh yeah - lets have a cease fire in Syria..." ;)

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yeah, I can't imagine where we would have got that notion from? Maybe the horse's mouth? :rolleyes:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/trump-putin-met-depends-asked-48501160

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Did they even talk about North Korea at all?

19. LordVic macrumors 601

you do realize, that Trump outright said on camera he knew Putin.

The exact quote:
    Interviewer: "Do you have a relationship with Vladimir Putin, a conversational relationship [..] or anything that you have sway or anything over his government?"

Trump: "I do have a relationship, and I uh, Can tell you that he's very interested in what we're doing here today, [...] but I do have a relationship with him."

But now suddenly he doesn't. he's making contact the first time?

at some point he was lying either back during these interviews, or where he doesn't. Either way, it puts his doubt into his character ability to tell the truth.

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

LOL. Yesterday I wouldn't have gotten that joke, but earlier today I had to look it up because somebody on FB tried to warn my wife about him.

21. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

This just in: Sarah Huckabee Sanders now disavows Trump!

On Sunday, Trump tweeted:

Screenshot from 2017-07-10 17-19-10.png

But today, Sanders stated:

White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters Monday that “sanctions specific to election meddling were discussed” in Friday’s meeting with Putin.​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...b1f0ff459df_story.html?utm_term=.2bf15d4897b3

I'm sure glad folks in the White House know what went on inside that Putin meeting.

22. SusanK macrumors 68000

Trump was softening Vlad up for a credit limit increase ;)

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Wow...it's really unbelievable how unprofessional and incompetent this administration is. It's like a bunch of separate independent entities whom never talk to each other and just do their own thing leading to confusion and contradictions.

Trump supporters: How are you okay with that?

24. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

"You can talk about the possibility of doing something without committing to it"

—Neville Chamberlain.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Obama was the president of appeasement, not Trump.