Trump disinvites Philadelphia Eagles to White House

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

[​IMG]

Imagine if an athlete decided not to go to the White House because they didn’t agree with Obama on something and he petulantly said well then none of you are invited and I’m going to host a different ceremony instead. It would be all over talk radio and Fox News. Regardless of politics or who’s president this should be called out. It’s disgusting.

2. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

So this means some actual news is breaking soon that won’t be covered because all the oxygen has been sucked out of the news cycle...

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Not disagreeing with you at all, but to play fair, this did happen before with Reagan. The Chicago Bears won the Super Bowl, and were "uninvited" (lack of a better word) to the White House, albeit the reason was legitimate: Challenger exploded. They did finally get that visit 30 years later, minus those who died (Walter Payton, etc.).

My point here is that while it did happen before, it was by no means petulant or petty like Trump here. This is truly disgusting.

BL.

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Right I get why there might be circumstances where an invitation has to be canceled. But because the big baby in the Oval Office wants to turn it into a political issue.

5. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

When Trump loses the thread, he really loses it. And loses sight of the pushback and where that pushback might come from.

But yeah, there could be breaking news that Trump now hopes will escape attention. The media are sort of catching onto that gig now though. There are more stories that begin with "[name of some other paper] reported yesterday that....]

6. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

He still held the event for the Patriots last year even though not everyone on the team showed up (including Tom Brady).

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

NPR just reported that he called it off over the Knee during the National Anthem dispute.

I wonder where all of the outcry is of having the government stay out of the lives of the individual? As in, the spirit and letter of the 1A? Remember: "without fear of retribution from the government". By doing this, Trump is making this a 1A issue as he can't get it in his egotistical skull that he is now the government. He's the people's employee.

BL.

8. Zenithal macrumors 604

Jeez, what a loser. Commander in Chief should be renamed "Sissy in Chief" for his behavior alone.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Another petty Trumper tantrum.

As far as I'm concerned, the Eagles have had a fine escape. This is actually the best thing for them.

10. Zenithal macrumors 604

He should invite the Cleveland Browns instead. It'll be the closest to winning they'll ever get.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

12. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

They should just throw a block(s) party instead, invite some food trucks to tag along for eats, and see how many people show up to get autographs and photos... Aerial photos would be nice. Could compare next day w/ attendance at this alternate gig Trump's putting on for a thousand people.

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This alone would beat his inaugural address.

BL.

14. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

This is an incredibly foolish move. The Eagles have a lot of support among the very white working class rural and exurban voters he needed to pull of his razor-thin win in Pennsylvania. Pissing off those fans just seems like an incredibly dumb thing to do.

15. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

The Baby-in-chief needs his nappy changing.

16. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I’m sure the team is heartbroken. An elderly, petulant toddler. A joke.

17. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

The thing Trump doesn't get when he pulls something like this is that the same contrarian streak that helped elect him didn't go away when he became President (and not King). People don't like being told who they are or how they should be by someone without the authority to make it stick. Th Eagles are a football team. The Prez should mind his own biz. Just butt out and leave it to the players and NFL to sort that flag stuff out.

But no. Now we got the President of the USA telling the Eagles how they shoulda been and that they're no longer invited to the special occasion at the White House... and all those fans who identify with their great team certainly sense that snub and are even now throwing Trump a bird: "keep yer special day." I'd be surprised if there aren't some Eagles-oriented parties being planned in more than a few places in Pennsylvania right about now. With cheese steaks, raucous music and fireworks!

18. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

So apparently Trump was not satisfied with the number of players who were going to attend so he canceled as he thought having a smaller event would look embarrassing.

The team should visit Walter Reed or a military base. Don’t allow Trump to paint the players as anti military.

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Thing is, this has nothing to do with the military, as the POTUS is essentially a civilian position. Besides, as taking the knee is condoned by the military, it would be Trump who would be anti-military.

BL.

20. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Well, it sucks that it’s this year this has to happen...for purely selfish reasons as I am born and raised in Pa and have been an Eagles fan since I was 7 years old and doubted I would ever see an Eagles Super Bowl Victory in my lifetime. Then Doug came along, again, and blew everyone’s mind.

I am a Trump supporter as well so yeah, I’m pissed at Trump on this one but I’m also disappointed at the team for turning this political. I applaud them for sticking together but they are going against a long standing tradition that I feel is something you do regardless who is president.

21. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

climate change is real!!!

22. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

All kinds of alternative offers seem to be popping up...

CaseySezHowAboutACapitolTourInstead?.jpg

PartyAtPhillyCityHall?.jpg

23. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

24. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4