Trump drops the mother of all bombs on Afghanistan

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/13/politics/afghanistan-isis-moab-bomb/

The US's larget non-nuclear bomb was just dropped in eastern Afghanistan. No idea what this means or why it was dropped. I believe the area is pretty popular for terrorists and a soldier was killed in this area last week.

Not sure if Trump is trying to signal to other nations again using this large of a bomb in the area. Would have been a massive explosion.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
MOAB's is a new bomb. Never ever has been used in combat before. Supposedly used to destroy the network of tunnels underneath the target. It will be interesting to see if objective was met.

Reactions: hulugu

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
With an approximate blast radius of 3~4 miles I hope there weren't civilians around... and that they didn't miss.
With a blast radius of 3-4 miles I don't think missing is going to be an issue, if they hit a village with children or something though it does ring a bit hypocritical since Trump was just talking about Syria murdering children.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Especially since there's indications that they are setting up for a nuke test in a tunnel this weekend.
exactly. He's showing that the US has very powerful weapon that can make a lot of damages without recurring to nuclear weapons. In other words: "Dear Mr. Kim - Nukes I can't use, this I can."
I am pretty sure that a few North Korean generals are hoping that fatty dies asap.

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
This is a message to North Korea. Wow.
Really? Just what kind of message does it send? We could kill hundreds of thousands of civilians with a bomb like that, but I don't think the MOAB is a bunker-buster. (I think the acronym is officially "Massive Ordinance Air Blast".) NK's forces should be able to weather that sort of attack sufficiently well to be able to respond.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Really? Just what kind of message does it send? We could kill hundreds of thousands of civilians with a bomb like that, but I don't think the MOAB is a bunker-buster. (I think the acronym is officially "Massive Ordinance Air Blast".) NK's forces should be able to weather that sort of attack sufficiently well to be able to respond.
he's not sending it on Pyongyang. He's scaring Kim's elite group. Psychological warfare. Last thing they want is to end up like Saddam and his friends.

Reactions: tshrimp and v0lume4