Trump election panel asks all 50 states for voter roll data

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
They want entirely too much info that they have no need for. The states should tell them to go to straight to h*ll. While it's bad enough that they want all our sensitive info, they are also asking that it be sent via unsecured email. Available for any hacker to access. Further proof that Trump and his minions are dumber than stumps.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/340117-trump-election-integrity-commission-requests-years-of-voter-data-from

The vice chairman of President Trump’s commission on election integrity sent a letter to all 50 states Wednesday requesting information on their voter rolls.

Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach is seeking several pieces of information about voters, including their names, birthdays, the last four digits of their Social Security numbers and their voting history dating back to 2006.

The letter, sent to the secretaries of state of all 50 states and obtained by The Hill, directs states to turn over “publicly-available voter roll data including, if publicly available under the laws of your state, the full first and last names of all registrants, middle names or initials if available, addresses, dates of birth, political party (if recorded in your state), last four digits of social security number if available, [and] voter history from 2006 onward.”

Kobach’s letter asks states to respond to a list of questions about voting in their states, inquiring about “law, policies or other issues hinder your ability to ensure the integrity of elections you administer.” He also asks for information about “convictions for election -related crimes” since the November 2000 presidential election.

The letter also stipulates that documents submitted to the commission “will also be made available to the public.” States were given a deadline of July 14 to submit the info to the commission.
Jason Kander, the head the Democratic National Committee’s Commission on Protecting American Democracy from the Trump Administration, blasted the letter in a statement, calling it “very concerning.”

"It's obviously very concerning when the federal government is attempting to get the name, address, birth date, political party and Social Security number of every voter in the country,” Kander said. “ I certainly don't trust the Trump Administration with that information, and people across the country should be outraged."
Unsecured email.

http://gizmodo.com/trumps-election-fraud-commission-asked-states-to-send-s-1796535568

The letter asks that the information be submitted to the email address “ElectionIntegrityStaff@ovp.eop.gov,” which does not use basic security protocols.

The email address is assigned to the EOP—the Executive Office of the President. Secure email tests confirm that EOP email addresses don’t use STARTTLS, a protocol for encrypting email while it travels across the internet so it is less likely to be snooped on while in transit.

View attachment upload_2017-6-29_21-18-48.gif
Screencapture: CheckTLS.com
“STARTTLS is the minimum security precaution an organization should implement for its mail servers if they expect to be receiving or transmitting potentially sensitive information,” explained Roland Shoemaker, a technologist at the Electronic Frontier Foundation who works on the free certificate authority Let’s Encrypt. “Without point to point encryption anyone with access to the internet link between a user and their mail server, or between two mail servers, can see exactly what has been written, who wrote it, and who it is being sent to.”

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
Isn't Pence in charge of investigating the illegal 3 million votes? Then again that was a few weeks ago so who knows. Blah.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Who cares at this point. In the words of that stupid song. Let it go let it go.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Meanwhile, everyone's scared of Google. :p

Meanwhile everyone in the White House is pretty sure the guy at the next desk is being investigated and no one has a good grip on agendas and priorities past getting through the week in one piece. Great year for DC lawyers.

Who cares at this point. In the words of that stupid song. Let it go let it go.
I realize voter info is publicly accessible in many states, but still, it's kind of chilling to think about voter record details in the hands of a guy like Trump who holds grudges and tweets out his rants. Imagine him poring over voter records trying to find out how all his burgeoning list of "enemies" are registered to vote, and if any appear to be reggied more than once, where they live, etc. Do we look forward to the Prez "doxxing" people from his Twitter account? :eek:

DearthnVader

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
This is the type of thing that is fodder for the paranoid, I see the left wing is now rejoining the ranks of the conspiracy theorists.

What is it, exactly, that you think the Federal Government doesn't know about you?

Trump is going to find out what Party you are in, and start shipping you to FEMA camps?

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
That email address should be sent a whole boatload of facepalm memes.
Someone should just scan in the Manhattan phone book's white pages and mark them all Democrats, and ship it. They're not all Dems of course, but the vast majority didn't vote for Donnie and he doubtless remembers that. He'd be tweeting for days behind being reminded yet again of such a betrayal in his own home town. Surely it was a vast Clinton conspiracy!

This is the type of thing that is fodder for the paranoid, I see the left wing is now rejoining the ranks of the conspiracy theorists.

What is it, exactly, that you think the Federal Government doesn't know about you?

Trump is going to find out what Party you are in, and start shipping you to FEMA camps?
I think this: Trump's Election Integrity Panel is a crock, and that someone in his own party will soon tell him so. Alison Lundergan Grimes, Kentucky's Secretary of State and a former opponent for McConnell's seat in the Senate, is just the first to send what will be a series of rebuffs to the overreach by Kris Kobach, the guy who inexplicably heads up that panel. It will not just be Democrats saying no way, no how, to that letter. The only reason Kobach's appointment is not inexplicable is that thanks to Trump up is down and down is up and we're living in Alice in Wonderland territory and so down a bunch of rabbit holes.

First of all Kobach dove deep into his own state's voter processing, and turned up nine suspected cases of voter fraud, out of 1.8 million registered voters. Six of them pled guilty. Big whoop. New York State's legislature has had 32 legislators step down for fraud or other misdoings and that &^%$ing legislature still can't agree on an ethics reform bill. Excuse me if I cannot get riled up over six voters' improper votes in Kansas.

Second, Kobach is hardly an unbiased commissioner. He's big on draconian voter suppression, which he prefers to describe as making sure people are eligible to vote. Translation: making sure the preponderance will vote Republican or have to endure assorted inconveniences to vote at all.

So no, I don't fear that Trump will find out what party I'm in and ship me off to FEMA camps. There won't be any FEMA camps if his ilk have their way anyhow. I'm sure funding for FEMA is up for cuts, no? He can find out my political party by looking up my name in the political donation lists. I'm not rich enough to run dark money purchases of congressmen's favor. I just kick in my $27 here and there to say I'm not dead yet. I and the other people who voted for the other candidate and just didn't happen to live in the right electoral districts in 2016 will be back in 2018 and 2020, God willing and the creek don't rise. We'll bring more money next time since the economy is supposedly improving if you believe him. And so much the better if you don't LOL. we'll just bring our votes and keep the money for groceries.

I object to the collection by this or any other administration of government-fund special lists of voters by name, address and party of registration. Let them go out and make their own damn lists, and don't do it on my tax dollar.

Man. Sometimes I wish for the bad old days when the worst dream of lefties was the scrawl on the side of buildings in Manhattan: FBI in Library. But then lefties have always been conflicted about the FBI thanks to the days when Nixon tried to get them to quit looking into his coverup of any CIA link to the Watergate breakin. Ever since then I worry more about the administration proper than its intel agencies if you want to know the truth of my own concerns about "Deep State" issues. It's the political operatives give me pause.

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
I thought the Russians hacked your election. Don't you need these steps to address election integrity?

There's already three investigations going on into the Russian meddling. The WH inquiry which seems to fall right in line with Trumps' 3 million illegal vote theory in order to vindicate his ego. Besides, the Russians will be back again next year and again in 2020.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Isn't Pence in charge of investigating the illegal 3 million votes? Then again that was a few weeks ago so who knows. Blah.
What about investigating the 77,000 fake votes in key districts of key states The gave the electoral vote to Trump.

Far more likely that 77,000 votes were fakes, like only 15,000 in Wisconsin. Far less likely that 3 million votes were faked.