Trump Equated to JFK & Reagan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Based on comments by @Scepticalscribe in another post, let's try starting positive only political threads. Post withn the threads will still be heated :).

Giuliani recently equated the economic policies of Trump to JFK and Reagan. I'm not sure if it's true but it should make a good discussion.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'll make no such pledge.

But as for the topic of this thread, I can see stark similarities to Reagan's trickle down economics, and desire for deregulation. I didn't follow your link, so I'm not sure what the connection to JFK is though.

4. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

Not at all. Since Hillary would be a third Obama term, do you expect her to continue with the same economic policy ?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2016 ---
    It only works if everyone does it.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Giuliani is a political whore/hack. Did he mention 9-11 too? ;) My reasoning, Trump in his entire life has done NOTHING, I said NOTHING that resembles a JFK or a Reagan.

The thing about Whorshipped Ronnie all the admiration is hypocritical. He reduced taxes, but not spending, presided over and leading the country down the road of the first significant deficits the country experienced post WWII and today unless he transformed himself, would not even be considered a Republican.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

Who knows. I think a lot will depend on what Congress looks like after the election, no?

7. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

Fair points depending on your point of view and Giulaini was only referring to economics in comparing Trump to JFK / Reagan. What are your specific complaints on Trump's economic plan and who really thinks Trump is a Republican :) ?

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Poor Rudy. One of the few angry men still in Trump's camp. Nobody gives a **** what he has to say.

9. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

Reagan did a massive tax cut on the wealthy, but he turned a $100 Billion Federal Deficit into a $300 Billion Federal Deficit. They called it the Reagan miracle, but there's nothing miraculous about a 175% increase in the National debt in 8 years. Under Reagan the National debt went from $997,855,000,000.00 in 1980, to 2,602,337,712,041.16 in 1988.

That would be like Obama spending another $7.5 Trillion Dollars worth of deficit spending. I'm sure we'd have seen more GDP growth if Obama had been allowed to pump almost a Trillion more dollars into the economy in the last 8 years.

10. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Anemic growth, with jobs that don't allow one to properly sustain one's self in a free country hence the increase in use of food stamps that the website credited in the meme had also once mentioned, but growth nonetheless.

We all know how Reagan tripled the deficit, made us a debtor nation despite 11 tax cuts and 18 debt ceiling extensions, yadda yadda yadda...

11. Limey77 macrumors regular

I'll begin by saying I know squat about JFK's economic policies - so won't comment on that aspect.

Regarding the issues with Trump's tax plan. I think the main issues are that it punishes the middle class even more than now, rewards high earners exorbitantly and those with large inherited fortunes even more. But the biggest single issue is that over four years it's estimated to reduce the federal income by 13 trillion dollars. That will do wonders for the deficit!!!!

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

As I said in another thread the old plan was a 10 trillion, Magic Pandering, give everything to everyone plan. Now that's been scrubbed, hmm, I wonder why? :rolleyes:

I've not yet had a chance to digest the new plan, but I caught bits and pieces of his economic speech and he struck me as a light weight, strong on what he would do, in very general terms as usual, but typically lacking on the how's, mostly the trust me standard.

Plus is there a reason to believe anything he says? His campaign has used constant mis-information tactics that would make Russia and Pravda proud. His products are exclusively made overseas using cheap labor. I wonder why upon running for office, he suddenly feels the overwhelming urge to bring good jobs back to America, when he claims nothing is made in America. He's not the right guy to champion this cause, and I have no confidence in his conviction or motivation.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2016 ---
    This, this, this, the hero of the fiscally responible GOP. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

13. FieldingMellish Suspended

Anyone with skills who wanted a good paying job in their chosen field, got one under Reagan.

14. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

But what is Hillary's economic plan and why is it better than Trump's economic plan. Also, are you in favor of Hillary's proposed 1.1 trillion dollar tax plan ?

15. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

Stealing wealth from a future generation, in the form of the National debt, is not an Economic Plan.

16. Limey77 macrumors regular

Hillaty's plan brings extra money into the government while trump removes more than four times as much.

And yes I am broadly in support of her tax plan. It's a little light but it is a good starting point for the next four years. It can be looked at again then.

Yes taxes can get too high, which is terrible. But Americans are experiencing some of the lowest taxes ever and it hasn't worked out so well. There's a lot to be done but lowering taxes, although it may earn you votes, is not the way to go.

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

The only thing that Reagan, JFK and Trump have in common is that they were all men who ran for President. Other than that there really isn't any similarity at all.

Although I hesitate to put Trump into the man category.....is he even human? :D

18. samcraig macrumors P6

The "magic" trick is for taxes rates to make sense across the board. Not easy.

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

First off ask yourself why the first embarrassment of a tax plan was proposed by the Ttump Campaign? What kind if confidence does does this instill in you regarding Trump as the best choice? Secondly, his rhetoric about eliminating regulations to increase profits is the typical profit motivated morality we hear from the collateral damage and fiscal mayhem in the name of higher profits is fine by us Republican crowd.

And what is wrong with a carbon tax? Trump vowed to (I forget the exact words) basically maintain the fossil fuel standard to get some votes from that sector. Instead of looking at the future realistically, pandering to coal workers to win this election.

That said, I'm not an economist, but based on this kind of info, I easily prefer Hillary's plan.

These are the differences between Clinton and Trump’s tax plans

20. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm assuming that the first plan was just thrown out there by Trump while the second plan was made with input from his economic advisors. One positive for Trump might be that this shows he is willing to change his mind based on good advice from advisors.

From what I read on Hillary's economic plan, it consist of a 1.1 trillion tax increase with spending on the infrastructure to get the economy going again. I didn't see anything to promote economic growth.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Just like Communism.

22. chown33 macrumors 604

I knew I could rely on you.

23. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

I don't think it's communism for all of to make a gentleman's agreement not to start negative threads on any of the candidates. I believe that @Scepticalscribe was alluding to something like this earlier and I'm waiting to hear if I misconstrued her opinion (apologies if I have). I also want to hear from @LizKat who expressed a dislike on all the negative candidate threads that have been started.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Oh, Fielding. Seems like someone forgot unemployment reached 10.8% in his second year in office. I'm sure they all could have gotten that good paying job you lie about.