Trump expected to order citizenship question added to the census

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
Just wondering what we think of using an executive order to overturn a SCOTUS decision.

From MSNBC
President Donald Trump is expected to announce Thursday that he is taking executive action to add a citizenship question to the census, according to an administration official.

Trump tweeted that he will hold a press conference in the afternoon to discuss his latest efforts at including the question as part of the census.

"The White House will be hosting a very big and very important Social Media Summit today," Trump tweeted. "Would I have become President without Social Media? Yes (probably)! At its conclusion, we will all go to the beautiful Rose Garden for a News Conference on the Census and Citizenship."

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
I'm not a lawyer, so I can't begin to wade into this. AFAIK, Census material is already being printed (as per mandated deadline), and this may be offered as a supplement. IDK...To me, it seems like a Political ploy by Trump, largely because either (a) it won't happen, or (b) it will be a supplement, but not to every census form - thereby corrupting the census data. You may like the idea of the question, but this if you're going to draw off this information for future policy, you are designing it to be flawed.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Another example of abuse of power.. he doesn't care.. and the country as a whole doesn't care. They just keep letting him do whatever he wants. Disgusting!
Not correct. People did care. They sued. They won. Barr found a loophole.
[doublepost=1562863370][/doublepost]
I'm not a lawyer, so I can't begin to wade into this. AFAIK, Census material is already being printed (as per mandated deadline), and this may be offered as a supplement. IDK...To me, it seems like a Political ploy by Trump, largely because either (a) it won't happen, or (b) it will be a supplement, but not to every census form - thereby corrupting the census data. You may like the idea of the question, but this if you're going to draw off this information for future policy, you are designing it to be flawed.
He could pause or delay the Census. But he'd be breaking the law. And we couldn't imagine POTUS breaking the law, now could we?

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
He could pause or delay the Census. But he'd be breaking the law. And we couldn't imagine POTUS breaking the law, now could we?
I just don't know. We got Capone on tax-evasion - this might be one of those things that seems minor, but could seriously endanger his Presidency (or freedom). Or, perhaps not.

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
I just don't know. We got Capone on tax-evasion - this might be one of those things that seems minor, but could seriously endanger his Presidency (or freedom). Or, perhaps not.
Nobody will hold him accountable, I can see the Dems response now... "If he does this we will issue a subpoena with a strongly worded ultimatum if he doesn't show up"

Republicans:

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Is the tone of my sarcasm that bad?

RichardMZhlubb

Contributor
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Haven’t they already started printing these? My guess is this will be nothing more than a gesture to say to his base he’s fighting but in the end the question won’t be on the census.

EDIT: I just got an NBC news alert that Trump is expected to back down and say he will collect the information in another way. Color no one shocked.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Remember this the next time Trump and his followers start spewing their garbage about Democrats not respecting the Constitution. The Supreme Court just concluded that the administration cannot do this, and he is choosing to ignore them (and Article III to the Constitution).
neither side respects the constitution, oclueless liked issuing EO's, it was wrong then as it is wrong now.

Altis

macrumors 68030
Sep 10, 2013
That doesn’t address the fundamental problem here. He’s issuing an executive order to do something that the Supreme Court just told him he cannot do.
It seems they can't use it for the reason of electoral college distribution, but there's nothing unconstitutional about simply adding the question to the census.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
The Supreme Court concluded that the decision to add the question violated the Administrative Procedure Act. That violation cannot be cured with an executive order.
well, that's the crux. I believe the EO is an attempt at an end-round with a different group of people instead positing the same opinion.

Altis

macrumors 68030
Sep 10, 2013
The Supreme Court concluded that the decision to add the question violated the Administrative Procedure Act. That violation cannot be cured with an executive order.
The SC was fixated on what they deemed as the intent of them adding it.